ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-22-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 8935091)
Thiesman with a broken leg is better than Casselhole by quite a bit.

Yep.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-22-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 8935094)
Directv 248

Damn. I was hoping it was national.

O.city 09-22-2012 01:03 PM

I'll take tavon Austin. As well

BoneKrusher 09-22-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8935098)
I'll take tavon Austin. As well

yeah, he's fast as hell.:thumb:

O.city 09-22-2012 01:07 PM

Bad throw there

AndChiefs 09-22-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8935105)
Bad throw there

Yeah that was a pick six in the NFL.

T-Town 09-22-2012 01:10 PM

Just watched a little of him today. Damn that TD on 3rd and 15 was just beautiful. Officially on board, draft him!

Chiefshrink 09-22-2012 01:10 PM

I appreciate SNR's positive attitude and I to really like Smith but Pioli ain't takin a QB in the first pure and simple.:shake:

O.city 09-22-2012 01:12 PM

It's at the poit where from a business standpoint you have to draft a qb early. You have a top 5 pick, take a MLB, and trot cassel back out there your losing a shit ton of money

Brock 09-22-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 8935110)
I appreciate SNR's positive attitude and I to really like Smith but Pioli ain't takin a QB in the first pure and simple.:shake:

If he had a shot at this guy and passed it up, it will kill the franchise.

bevischief 09-22-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 8935097)
Damn. I was hoping it was national.

A fox sports channel

Thig Lyfe 09-22-2012 01:18 PM

Just reading this thread is giving me a major boner.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-22-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 8935119)
A fox sports channel

Thanks!

Thig Lyfe 09-22-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthCarlSatan (Post 8935095)
Thiesman with a broken leg is better than Casselhole by quite a bit.

Theismann with a broken leg RIGHT NOW at age 63 would be better than Cassel.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-22-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 8935121)
Just reading this thread is giving me a major boner.

Isn't it though? I'm thinking a great sub sandwich for sale at Arrowhead concession would be the Geno-Boner!

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-22-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 8935124)
Theismann with a broken leg RIGHT NOW at age 63 would be better than Cassel.

And riding in a Jazzy!

milkman 09-22-2012 02:04 PM

I thought Smith showed some real pocket awareness and good field vision today.

He did lock onto his primary target a couple of times, but for the most part he scanned the field and found the open receiver, even while under duress.

He showed the athletic ability to escape pressure, but also showed the pocket presence to know when to escape, and also to know when to stand in or step up.

Looks like the total package who has progessed nicely from year to year.

O.city 09-22-2012 02:09 PM

I think he's more polished from a mechanical and feel standpoint than any of the other guys in this class

milkman 09-22-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8935254)
I think he's more polished from a mechanical and feel standpoint than any of the other guys in this class

From a mechanical standpoint, Matt Barkley is the most polished in this class, and I like Barkley a lot.

But I think that Smith's ceiling is much higher, he has a much stronger arm, and is more instinctive.

O.city 09-22-2012 02:15 PM

I think Barkley might have reached his ceiling at this point. He doesn't have like you stated the upside smith does

Titty Meat 09-22-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8935262)
I think Barkley might have reached his ceiling at this point. He doesn't have like you stated the upside smith does

If his ceiling is Palmer pre-injury sign me up!

I like Smith but the only thing that worries me about him is his tendency to lock onto receivers.

the Talking Can 09-22-2012 02:34 PM

i prefer smith but i'd draft barkley...

O.city 09-22-2012 02:39 PM

I'm afraid Barkley doesn't have the arm strength. He also has an ass ton of talent around him

SAUTO 09-22-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8935316)
i prefer smith but i'd draft barkley...

+1
Posted via Mobile Device

Titty Meat 09-22-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8935329)
I'm afraid Barkley doesn't have the arm strength. He also has an ass ton of talent around him

That's my only question about him is arm strength but at the same time arm strength can be overrated.

O.city 09-22-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 8935335)
That's my only question about him is arm strength but at the same time arm strength can be overrated.

This is true. But it can also be a huge attribute

keg in kc 09-22-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8935244)
I thought Smith showed some real pocket awareness and good field vision today.

He did lock onto his primary target a couple of times, but for the most part he scanned the field and found the open receiver, even while under duress.

He showed the athletic ability to escape pressure, but also showed the pocket presence to know when to escape, and also to know when to stand in or step up.

Looks like the total package who has progessed nicely from year to year.

Took a bit of a beating and kept going, too.

He reminds me a little of Robert Griffin, although I don't think he has quite that level of talent. But not that far off, either, and he's someone who I think, like Griffin, "got it" in college as far as being a QB and running an offense goes. So he could translate quickly to the pro game.

O.city 09-22-2012 02:43 PM

I think smith has better pocket mechanics at this point than rgIII did at this time last year

BigChiefFan 09-22-2012 02:45 PM

If we don't draft a first round QB this upcoming draft, we'll continue to wallow in mediocrity. Looks like some pretty good prospects will be available in 2013.

Jerm 09-22-2012 03:28 PM

This is the guy I want 100%...put me on the bandwagon, roll call, whatever the hell it is.

He'll be the best QB from the class, mark it down.

O.city 09-22-2012 03:48 PM

That "footwork" problem some were seeing, IMO seems to be a rhythm thing. Qbs are taught to "hop" to keep rhythm and go from window to window

bevischief 09-22-2012 03:57 PM

I liked what he brought to the game, not Cassel by a long shot.

Chiefs Pantalones 09-22-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8935472)
That "footwork" problem some were seeing, IMO seems to be a rhythm thing. Qbs are taught to "hop" to keep rhythm and go from window to window

Lol it's called a hitch. And each and how many times you hitch is based whether if it's a 3, 5 or 7 step drop back and what route the WR is running. It's crucial in getting the ball out on time especially in a timing pattern. It can be the difference in what would be a simple completion and an INT. QBs don't hop. They aren't rabbits, silly O.city. ;)

O.city 09-22-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 8935493)
Lol it's called a hitch. And each and how many times you hitch is based whether if it's a 3, 5 or 7 step drop back and what route the WR is running. It's crucial in getting the ball out on time especially in a timing pattern. It can be the difference in what would be a simple completion and an INT. QBs don't hop. They aren't rabbits, silly O.city. ;)

I'm talking about when qbs complete their drop and make progressions. Some call it happy feet but its a timing thing. After you hit your back foot, you bounce up into the pocket keeping the string tight between your front and back foot

Chiefs Pantalones 09-22-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8935502)
After you hit your back foot, you bounce up into the pocket keeping the string tight between your front and back foot

That would be a hitch.

suds79 09-22-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 8935335)

Agreed. From what I saw his arm is strong enough to do the job. However its not in the same league as Wilson or Bray.

Still, arm strength isn't everything.

Barret 09-22-2012 04:13 PM

I am on board with Geno as well. I saw portions of that game at the sports bar and he looked really good. The only issue that I need to ask is, where do people feel he will be taken at in the first round? If you were ranking QB's in 2013 is he like RGIII compared to Barkley and Luck?

I only compare Barkley and Luck as well as Smith and RGIII as far as draft position and where Luck and RGIII were taken. Not Talent level comparisons.

I ask these questions to get a better feel for what the Chiefs would have to accomplish to actually get Smith or Barkley or any top QB prospect in 2013. Is it a "Suck for Smith" type plan or can you actually be in the 10 - 15 range to pick him up? See my point?

O.city 09-22-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 8935508)
That would be a hitch.

Call it what you will but it allows the qb to stay in rhythm in the pocket. It is taught. It's not sloppy feet or happy feet

chiefzilla1501 09-22-2012 04:15 PM

I'm definitely on board for Geno Smith.

I don't agree that he's the only option, though. If he's not within reach, there are going to be a few QBs in this class that I think are worth taking. I'd be happy with Barkley, Smith, or Tyler Wilson. And I do think Murray or Bray could very easily declare and I'd take either one of those guys.

O.city 09-22-2012 04:15 PM

It's time to suck shit and make sure we are forced to get one of these guys

ForeverChiefs58 09-22-2012 05:31 PM

Maryland actually had more total offense than WVU through the first quarter courtesy of a lopsided time of possession. But the reality is Randy Edsall‘s team came out swinging while WVU looked lethargic (I blame the gray uniforms). Edsall must have also watched a ton of tape from Syracuse’s consecutive wins over the Mountaineers, because his defense got all kinds of pressure on Smith.

Speaking of Smith, he didn’t exactly have another RGIII-ish game from a touchdown/incompletion ration. He was 30-of-43 for 338 yards and three TDs, but got hit a lot — especially in the first half. It didn’t help that WVU had practically no running game (25 carries for 30 yards). Maryland was able to apply the pass rush on Smith all day at will.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...ginia/related/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jDmrPmSvvsc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

O.city 09-22-2012 05:44 PM

He got hit a lot yet in the fourth quarter was still standing in the pocket and had good awareness

ForeverChiefs58 09-22-2012 05:56 PM

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- West Virginia's Tavon Austin just can't get enough of Maryland.

Austin caught three touchdown passes in another remarkable game against his home-state Terrapins and No. 8 West Virginia outlasted Maryland 31-21 on Saturday.

A Baltimore native, Austin accounted for half of West Virginia's offense, catching 13 passes for 179 yards and setting a school record for career receptions.

"It was my last time playing Maryland," said Austin, a senior. "So there was a little bit on the line for me."

It's a good thing for the Mountaineers he felt that way.

Despite scoring two early touchdowns, West Virginia (3-0) looked flat at times, after averaging 56 points and 612 yards in its first two games against non-BCS conference opponents.

The Mountaineers punted on four of their first five possessions of the second half but wouldn't let Maryland (2-2) cut into a double-digit lead in beating the Terrapins for the seventh straight time.

"We didn't play our best offensively," said West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen. "But it was enough."

Leading rusher Shawne Alston was limited by a thigh bruise and didn't get a carry. West Virginia was held to 25 yards on the ground.

Geno Smith often threw into tough coverage and had as many incompletions in the first half (nine) as he did in the first two games combined. He spent a lot of time getting knocked on his backside and finished 30 of 43 for 338 yards.

"I wasn't as sharp as I wanted to be," Smith said. "That's a credit to Maryland. They did a great job of mixing things up and giving us different looks."

Smith found a groove just before halftime, throwing for 64 yards on a drive capped by a 24-yard pass to Austin alone in the end zone for a 24-14 lead.

Maryland freshman Perry Hills threw for 305 yards and three touchdowns, two to freshman Stefon Diggs.

Hills had some success moving the Maryland offense with misdirection plays and screen passes. Maryland had more yards at halftime (212) than it did all of last week in a home loss to Connecticut.

But Hills was sacked five times and had little luck in the second half. With Maryland facing fourth-and-21 from its 32 with four minutes left in the game, Hills was intercepted by Wes Tonkery at the West Virginia 28 and the Mountaineers ran out the clock.

"I'm disappointed that we made some of the errors that we made that didn't allow us to have an opportunity to win toward the end of the game," said Maryland coach Randy Edsall. "I thought our defense played pretty well. Definitely thought we played well versus the run."

The game was billed as a matchup of all-purpose talent, and Austin and Diggs didn't disappoint.

Austin now has 208 career receptions, breaking the mark of 206 set by Jock Sanders from 2007-10. In three games against Maryland, he had 31 catches for 407 yards.

"This was Tavon's best game," Holgorsen said. "He played fast. His energy on the sidelines was tremendous. He was the one guy offensively who played his best game. I can't say that about the rest of them."

Diggs had a 42-yard scoring catch in the first quarter and a 56-yarder midway through the fourth. He caught three passes for 113 yards and had 63 yards on kick returns and 25 yards on punt returns.

"I went to him at the end of the game and told him that he was a good player -- but I couldn't let a young guy outshine me," Austin said.

On Maryland's second series of the game, West Virginia safety Darwin Cook slipped through the middle of the line unblocked and knocked the ball from Hills. Linebacker Doug Rigg scooped up the loose ball and went 51 yards for West Virginia's second defensive touchdown of the season.

It was a role reversal of the key play of January's Orange Bowl, when Rigg forced a fumble that Cook returned for a TD -- and famously knocked over the Orange Bowl mascot -- in a rout of Clemson.

Late in the first quarter, Austin caught a pass up the middle, bounced off a defender and went 44 yards up the right sideline to put the Mountaineers ahead 14-0. Austin capped West Virginia's scoring with a 34-yard reception midway through the fourth.

Starting His Campaign Early

West Virginia QB Geno Smith is stating his case for the Heisman Trophy early. Since Robert Griffin III won the Heisman last year, Smith has been on fire, throwing for more than 1,400 yards with a sparkling 18-0 TD-to-INT ratio. Here's a look:

Pass Yds. TD-Int.

vs. Maryland 338 3-0
vs. James Madison 411 5-0
vs. Marshall 323 4-0
vs. Clemson * 407 6-0

* In 2012 Orange Bowl
-- ESPN Stats & Information

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=322660277

BossChief 09-22-2012 05:59 PM

How did you guys see the game?

I have to wait till tomorrow to watch the dvr replay that airs at 5am

Unsmooth-Moment 09-22-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8935776)

It was on FX

ForeverChiefs58 09-22-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8935776)

It was on fx, but you can always watch from the comfort of your computer watching here:

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/american-football.html

College, nfl, everything you need.

Chiefs Pantalones 09-22-2012 06:08 PM

I know I said I'm not picky, but I'm not really feeling Landry Jones.

RealSNR 09-22-2012 06:09 PM

ForeverChiefs58 is doing the Lord's work here. I'm putting him near the top of the roll call list.

Thanks, man! :thumb:

BossChief 09-22-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 8935783)
It was on fx, but you can always watch from the comfort of your computer watching here:

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/american-football.html

College, nfl, everything you need.

Just an FYI...downloading ilivid (a "required plug in to watch the game) to my computer is the last thing I downloaded on it (I was trying to watch the Chiefs Bills game when I was in San Jose, CA) before it became ****ed up.

Not sure what happened, but it won't even bring up a browser at all anymore and it was perfectly fine right before that.

ForeverChiefs58 09-22-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8935799)
Just an FYI...downloading ilivid (a "required plug in to watch the game) to my computer is the last thing I downloaded on it (I was trying to watch the Chiefs Bills game when I was in San Jose, CA) before it became ****ed up.

Not sure what happened, but it won't even bring up a browser at all anymore and it was perfectly fine right before that.

Yeah that got me at first too, then I realized it was just an ad. You're not supposed to click on it. You do not need/want ilivid to watch it.

Wait a few seconds and there is a close tap. Close the ads click a little red x, put it on fullscreen and there will be no pop ups. Hope this helps.

Unsmooth-Moment 09-22-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8935790)
ForeverChiefs58 is doing the Lord's work here. I'm putting him near the top of the roll call list.

Thanks, man! :thumb:

add me to the list as well.

KC_Lee 09-22-2012 08:08 PM

Ok, count me in. I am Keeno on Geno.

Saccopoo 09-22-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8935344)
I think smith has better pocket mechanics at this point than rgIII did at this time last year

He does.

I think he's just under Luck and above Griffin at the same point. Probably a combination of both actually as he's a very good pocket QB with excellent athleticism.

Smith has got really, really good pocket mechanics and an uncanny feel for pressure. He keeps his head up and downfield all the time and has that wicked fast release.

I like him as a pro prospect as much as anyone I've seen over the past decade. The tools are all there.

KcMizzou 09-22-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 8935787)
I know I said I'm not picky, but I'm not really feeling Landry Jones.

That dude is not an NFL QB, and you Should be picky.

ArrowheadHawk 09-22-2012 09:56 PM

Suck for Smith.

Ebolapox 09-22-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8936457)
He does.

I think he's just under Luck and above Griffin at the same point. Probably a combination of both actually as he's a very good pocket QB with excellent athleticism.

Smith has got really, really good pocket mechanics and an uncanny feel for pressure. He keeps his head up and downfield all the time and has that wicked fast release.

I like him as a pro prospect as much as anyone I've seen over the past decade. The tools are all there.

the only part that frightens me is that I've seen such glowing analysis of WAC offensive linemen and polynesian nose tackles who go to Mormon schools from you.

Titty Meat 09-22-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 8936530)
Suck for Smith.

#Whiff4Smith

ForeverChiefs58 09-22-2012 10:14 PM

Yeah, at first I didn't want the tanking just for a player, but everyone knew we have been a good QB play away from being able to compete in the division, let alone win a playoff game and really need a top QB to get us there. Imagine if Pioli would have had the balls to tank it last season? Had the foresight to know the top QB since whenever would be coming out of college and stocking up draft picks for a true building season draft. Especially since we were set up with losing a coach mid season.

Indy fans found out how important a top QB is when Manning went down. They went through 1 lousy season and now they have a top QB again. Boo hoo.

If we are going to lose again anyway we might as well go all in. Everyone knows this team doesn't have the one thing every playoff looking team has and needs.

A QB away. I say it is Geno Smith. Still pretty early, but to me he looks the best out of everyone. Often compared to RG3 which seems to be a very good thing so far.

I also say we need a new coach. Maybe Romeo can go back to defense? It is important to get a coach that is going to get the most out of the most important position-QB. The new Chiefs Way should look a lot like how the 49ers did it.

A former 1st overall pick, Alex Smith, looked too much like Cassel under defensive coaches Nolan and Singletary, and clashed with both coaches. It wasn't until they brought in the perfect QB fix-Jim Harbaugh, that they have brought out the most in their QB. We don't want to take 6 years to see such results. Harbaugh is even in the huddle making sure that offense is run right.

Another thing to note with Harbaugh, the former QB with family coaching genes also has the team with argueably the best defense in football. He lets his defensive coordinator, Vic Fangio, whom he brought from Stanford, coach the defense and it works very well. Point is we don't have to get a defensive guy to have a top defense.

Hope this team does what it hasn't since 1983, and does it right this time.

Rasputin 09-22-2012 10:19 PM

Kids got an arm count me in.

Chiefs Pantalones 09-22-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8936490)
That dude is not an NFL QB, and you Should be picky.

I am but I hate to sound like a QB snob when we haven't been good at the position in years. Just draft one in the first round is all I say. Even if he's not #1 on your board. Dalton wasn't the top rated QB on the Bengals' board but they drafted one anyway because they needed one. We're in the same boat. The draft is a crapshoot anyway. The way things are going so far you'd think the stars are aligning. It's up to our Chiefs though to pull the trigger.

BryanBusby 09-23-2012 12:46 AM

I was on the fence for awhile, but I'm now on the Geno Smith bandwagon.

Saccopoo 09-23-2012 01:40 AM

Right to the receivers in stride.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jDmrPmSvvsc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saccopoo 09-23-2012 01:51 AM

Oh, and the anti-Cassel play from Geno:

http://mobile.sbnation.com/2012/9/22...-to-next-level

Helmet ripped off, looks back downfield, let's the ball fly and gets slammed below the knees. Still working to make the play.

Stud.

Rasputin 09-23-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 8936995)

Helmet ripped off, looks back downfield, let's the ball fly and gets slammed below the knees. Still working to make the play.

Stud.

http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/...ps046f0a7d.gif

Bad ass.

clyde05 09-23-2012 02:02 AM

I'm in on taking Geno but I was impressed with there wr Austin too.

Saccopoo 09-23-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 8936998)

Yeah it is.

There isn't any curling into a fetal position here. Throws off the defender who's got his helmet in his hands, squares himself up, immediately the head goes up, eyes down field, finds a target and the ball is out in a nanosecond before the next guy clips him in the knees.

Bad ass indeed.

spanky 52 09-23-2012 06:03 AM

Count me in. He doesn't have the best foot work but like his arm and toughness.

WV 09-23-2012 07:57 AM

Down game overall for the Mountaineers, but Geno still looked good!

ILChief 09-23-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Stud.

Cassel would have ducked and rolled as soon as the defender got near him.

bevischief 09-23-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 8937181)
Down game overall for the Mountaineers, but Geno still looked good!

I watched the game as well still a better watch then the Chiefs have been this year.

jd1020 09-23-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 8936998)

All I can think about is the play in preseason where Stanzi got love tapped on the helmet, freaked out, and fumbled.

SAUTO 09-23-2012 08:30 AM

But did he complete the pass?

Isn't that all that matters?/cp
Posted via Mobile Device

ILChief 09-23-2012 08:36 AM

He can't have #12 here though, that belongs to Ricky Stanzi

:)

RedDread 09-23-2012 08:46 AM

I'll be on board around 3:15 this afternoon...

DeezNutz 09-23-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Stud.

This play is ridiculous on a number of different levels: escapability, poise, awareness, and courage.

Outstanding.

ForeverChiefs58 09-23-2012 09:35 AM

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1416599/tavon2.gif

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-conten...T-THIEVERY.gif

ForeverChiefs58 09-23-2012 10:12 AM

Oh and would love Tavon Austin.

Since the start of last season, Tavon Austin has gained 1,106 of his 1,352 yards after the catch. That's the most of any player on a ranked team.

When targeting Stedman Bailey, Geno Smith is 22-of-23 for five touchdowns.

When scoring at least 30 points, West Virginia is 77-3 since 2000.

Smith became the Mountaineers' all-time passing leader last week with 8,191 career passing yards.

bevischief 09-23-2012 10:20 AM

Smith, Smith, Smith.

ForeverChiefs58 09-23-2012 10:36 AM

Geno Smith Could Get Looks as Number One Overall Pick

After three weeks of the college football season, it’s apparent that what we thought we knew was wrong. I had penciled in USC as a participant in the national title game, but they showed some serious flaws against Stanford. One seemingly sure thing over the last couple of years has been West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, who has now taken his abilities to the Big 12, along with the rest of the Mountaineers.

Smith has been a big time playmaker ever since his sophomore season with West Virginia when he passed for 2,763 yards and 24 touchdowns with only seven interceptions. Last season, the junior tossed for 4,385 yards and 31 touchdowns, again with only seven interceptions. As a senior, Smith looks poised to shatter those numbers. He’s already thrown nine touchdown passes in just two games, and is completing 88 percent of his passes. His start to the season reminds me a lot of Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III from last year.

Smith is a definite Heisman front-runner at this point, especially after Matt Barkley’s lack-luster performance against Stanford. With an open race for the Heisman Trophy, I think there should also be an open race for the number one overall pick, and Smith’s name should be included. He doesn’t run a pro-style offense at West Virginia, but the NFL is moving toward the “Pass ’til you drop” sort of mentality, and Smith fits that perfectly.

He is an excellent passer, but more than that, he makes smart decisions and is able to make plays. He’s probably not going to run a 4.35 second 40 yard dash like Griffin, but he’s no slouch in terms of running with the football, and has a rushing touchdown this season to go along with 83 rushing yards. His ability to make plays with his feet and make strong throws is really enticing for NFL scouts.

If you’re talking about potential top picks for the 2013 NFL Draft, I don’t think you can leave Geno Smith out of the conversation any longer. He is for real, and he’s been doing this longer than most college quarterbacks. He’s completed over 65 percent of his career passes, and he has thrown only 14 interceptions in 973 attempts over the last three years.

That’s incredible, and you’d better bet he’s one of college football’s best kept secrets, despite how prolific he’s been.

http://nflmocks.com/2012/09/16/geno-...-overall-pick/

Simplicity 09-23-2012 10:41 AM

PUT ME IN THERE!!!

http://couchfiresports.com/wp-conten...GENO-SMITH.jpg