ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Warrior Dash (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=247584)

BigRichard 08-01-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7792839)
I would have rather just continued to think of you as a jorts wearing dufus. Now I have to think of you as a costumed Hulk freak. This sucks for me. Did you even consider the ramifications?

Lord, I apologize.

penguinz 08-01-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7792839)
I would have rather just continued to think of you as a jorts wearing dufus. Now I have to think of you as a costumed Hulk freak. This sucks for me. Did you even consider the ramifications?

He wasn't a very convincing Hulk so you can still think of him as a jorts wearing dufus. ;)

luv 08-01-2011 12:10 PM

I'm going to make it my new goal to be able to participate in this next year. Looks like a blast!

4th and Long 08-01-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7792876)
I'm going to make it my new goal to be able to participate in this next year. Looks like a blast!

There were 80 year olds participating. Surely you can hack it too.

luv 08-01-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4th and Long (Post 7792902)
There were 80 year olds participating. Surely you can hack it too.

If I'm going to have water making my clothes cling to me, I want to be in a bit better shape. :) Oh, and for being covered in mud at the end, too. :D

Phobia 08-01-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7792876)

That's a great goal. I've seen you make a lot of goals over the years. They're usually lofty goals which are great but often result in more disappointment than any sense of accomplishment. Have you considered a series of goals/milestones leading up to the ultimate goal? Achieving smaller goals along the way rekindles the fire and helps those of us who are more prone to instant gratification.

4th and Long 08-01-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7792959)
If I'm going to have water making my clothes cling to me, I want to be in a bit better shape. :) Oh, and for being covered in mud at the end, too. :D

In that case, 86 the clothes and cover yourself with mud, before the start of the event.

Just call me a problem solver!

Omaha 08-01-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7793097)
That's a great goal. I've seen you make a lot of goals over the years. They're usually lofty goals which are great but often result in more disappointment than any sense of accomplishment. Have you considered a series of goals/milestones leading up to the ultimate goal? Achieving smaller goals along the way rekindles the fire and helps those of us who are more prone to instant gratification.

This.

I'm sure you could find a charity run/walk 5K to do prior to the Warrior Dash & build up to it. There are plenty of leisurely 5Ks out there.

There are also Mud Runs that are similar to (but less intense than) the Warrior Dash. I'll be doing 2 of these in Lincoln & just outside of Omaha next month. They are pretty laid back events so you wouldn't have to worry if you had to take breaks to walk. You won't be the only one.

luv 08-01-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7793097)

I've already been working towards it in a way. I joined a gym a few months ago, and I've been working out regularly. I've been watching what I eat, but that's something I could do better about.

You know my ultimate goal has always been to move to KC. I think you know that I've done a lot to work towards that goal. I've gone back to school, and I will have my AD in February. I've moved back in with dad to get some debts paid off and save some money. Along with those two things, I've been working on losing weight. Of all people, I thought you might see those accomplishments and be somewhat proud of me.

Anyway, in regards to this. I guess I need to go out to a friend's family's farms and practice climbing hay bails and rolling around in the mud? My dad's pool is 4 1/2 feet deep, so I can practice wading through it. Are those the short term goals you had in mind?

luv 08-01-2011 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 7793126)
This.

I'm sure you could find a charity run/walk 5K to do prior to the Warrior Dash & build up to it. There are plenty of leisurely 5Ks out there.

There are also Mud Runs that are similar to (but less intense than) the Warrior Dash. I'll be doing 2 of these in Lincoln & just outside of Omaha next month. They are pretty laid back events so you wouldn't have to worry if you had to take breaks to walk. You won't be the only one.

I've started reincorporating my 4 mile walks back into my work out program. I'm alternating going to the gym and going out for my walks. The thing I need to start working on there is jogging a bit more.

Omaha 08-01-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7793173)
I've already been working towards it in a way. I joined a gym a few months ago, and I've been working out regularly. I've been watching what I eat, but that's something I could do better about.

You know my ultimate goal has always been to move to KC. I think you know that I've done a lot to work towards that goal. I've gone back to school, and I will have my AD in February. I've moved back in with dad to get some debts paid off and save some money. Along with those two things, I've been working on losing weight. Of all people, I thought you might see those accomplishments and be somewhat proud of me.

Anyway, in regards to this. I guess I need to go out to a friend's family's farms and practice climbing hay bails and rolling around in the mud? My dad's pool is 4 1/2 feet deep, so I can practice wading through it. Are those the short term goals you had in mind?

The ability to run 3 miles will better prepare you for this. There's no need to practice crawling through mud. That's the easy part.

4th and Long 08-01-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 7793181)
The ability to run 3 miles will better prepare you for this. There's no need to practice crawling through mud. That's the easy part.

I have a coworker that participated in this years event. From what I can tell, running was not really required.

Phobia 08-01-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7793173)

I can't make your goals for you - just observations from afar. Based on your comments, you are more concerned with body image than the challenge of the Warrior Dash. Let me be the first to assure you that most of the participants in this thing do not have perfect bodies or even remotely close to it. You and I aren't ever going to have perfect bodies. Members of the opposite sex aren't going to be drooling over us for our bodies. We can both improve, certainly. But we're playing with the hands we've been dealt. My wife didn't fall in love with me due to my looks or my body. She was attracted to my "roll with it" attitude, my sense of humor, and my passion for fatherhood... now I'm rambling. Bottom line - I wish for you to find happiness in your own skin because if you can't be happy there you'll never be happy with any other person or in any other place.

CoMoChief 08-01-2011 01:56 PM

was going to do this.....then a bud at work gave me free floor tickets to Billy Currington, Zac Brown Band, and Kenny Chesney for free.....so I did that instead....didn't have time to do both.

Zac Brown Band is ****ing awesome, it was also my first concert at Arrowhead.

Omaha 08-01-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4th and Long (Post 7793191)
I have a coworker that participated in this years event. From what I can tell, running was not really required.

I suppose you could have walked the whole course, but why would anyone do that? There were some slippery, muddy spots on the trail that required us to slow down, but running is definitely the biggest part of it.

4th and Long 08-01-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 7793252)
I suppose you could have walked the whole course, but why would anyone do that? There were some slippery, muddy spots on the trail that required us to slow down, but running is definitely the biggest part of it.

Because they are girls? :p

They jogged some, they ran some, they walked some.

The pictures she showed me were pretty priceless though. LMAO

BigRichard 08-01-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 7793126)
This.

You got a website for these? My buddy and I might like to do them.

Omaha 08-01-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4th and Long (Post 7793272)
Because they are girls? :p

They jogged some, they ran some, they walked some.

The pictures she showed me were pretty priceless though. LMAO

I saw some hardcore chicks tearing it up. It was great. One of the chicks that finished near me went & got back in line and ran the thing twice.

Omaha 08-01-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 7793291)

Yeah. Give me a minute.

Omaha 08-01-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 7793291)

This one looks awesome. I did it last year & loved it, but it looks like they've made some nice improvements. Let me know if you do it.

http://www.nscevents.com/mudrun

This one is in Springfield at the Soaring Wings vineyard. It's smaller. I'm taking my kids to this one.

http://www.raceregister.net/RaceRegi...ion=view&id=41

rageeumr 08-01-2011 02:38 PM

Wow. Just got an email from a buddy. A guy he knows is in ICU after getting heat stroke during the race yesterday. His brain is swollen and his organs aren't functioning correctly. His body temp was 108 when he got to the hospital.

Omaha 08-01-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 7793359)
Wow. Just got an email from a buddy. A guy he knows is in ICU after getting heat stroke during the race yesterday. His brain is swollen and his organs aren't functioning correctly. His body temp was 108 when he got to the hospital.

Holy shit, that sucks. Did he run on Sat or Sun? When we were leaving KC on Sunday, we were saying that it felt even hotter than what we dealt with on Saturday. I hope the dude is OK. It was hot as shit at 3 when we ran & I know a lot of people were feeling it.

4th and Long 08-01-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Heat forces an early end to inaugural KC Warrior Dash

A grueling endurance race became too dangerous in the heat Sunday and had to be called off early.

The Warrior Dash obstacle course was shut down about 1:30 p.m. after 57 people were treated on site for heat symptoms, and four were taken to hospitals as a precaution. The event, which started Saturday, was scheduled to run until 3 p.m. Sunday.

“The heat was so excessive it was not safe for the participants to run,” said race director Bryan Sechrist. “Safety is our No. 1 priority.”

Warrior Dash set up cooling stations and a medical tent for the approximately 7,000 participants today. The event was at Tiffany Springs Park, about 18 miles north of downtown, and involved a 3.1-mile course.

The National Weather Service said the temperature at Kansas City International Airport was 95 degrees at 1:53 p.m., and the relative humidity was 47 percent.

rageeumr 08-01-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 7793381)
Holy shit, that sucks. Did he run on Sat or Sun? When we were leaving KC on Sunday, we were saying that it felt even hotter than what we dealt with on Saturday. I hope the dude is OK. It was hot as shit at 3 when we ran & I know a lot of people were feeling it.

All he said was Sunday afternoon. It was pretty brutal at 10:30, so I know it had to be terrible later on.

BigRichard 08-01-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 7793315)
This one looks awesome. I did it last year & loved it, but it looks like they've made some nice improvements. Let me know if you do it.

http://www.nscevents.com/mudrun

This one is in Springfield at the Soaring Wings vineyard. It's smaller. I'm taking my kids to this one.

http://www.raceregister.net/RaceRegi...ion=view&id=41

Thanks. I will let you know.

wazu 08-01-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4th and Long (Post 7793390)
Heat forces an early end to inaugural KC Warrior Dash

A grueling endurance race became too dangerous in the heat Sunday and had to be called off early.

The Warrior Dash obstacle course was shut down about 1:30 p.m. after 57 people were treated on site for heat symptoms, and four were taken to hospitals as a precaution. The event, which started Saturday, was scheduled to run until 3 p.m. Sunday.

“The heat was so excessive it was not safe for the participants to run,” said race director Bryan Sechrist. “Safety is our No. 1 priority.”

Warrior Dash set up cooling stations and a medical tent for the approximately 7,000 participants today. The event was at Tiffany Springs Park, about 18 miles north of downtown, and involved a 3.1-mile course.

The National Weather Service said the temperature at Kansas City International Airport was 95 degrees at 1:53 p.m., and the relative humidity was 47 percent.

Wow. What weather did they think they were going to have in Kansas City on July 31st? They hold races in Death Valley.

penguinz 08-01-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazu (Post 7793465)
Wow. What weather did they think they were going to have in Kansas City on July 31st? They hold races in Death Valley.

The high humidity is what is making it so miserable.

Bearcat 08-01-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazu (Post 7793465)

That is kind of odd when you look at their recent races... New England, Ontario, Washington, Minnesota, KC, Michigan, British Columbia... which one doesn't belong? :hmmm:

MOhillbilly 08-01-2011 03:17 PM

og circle pit. the true warriors dash.

1moreTRich 08-01-2011 05:08 PM

Yeah it was hot as hell when we ran at 10:30. Really the hardest part besides the heat was the damn mud after the small creeks. I was sure I was going to wipeout on some of the slopes. Overall I thought the obstacles weren't too hard.

Mr_Tomahawk 08-03-2011 12:15 PM

Damn...

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2011/08/...rrior_dash.php

BigRichard 08-03-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 7798210)

Is that the same guy?

Omaha 08-03-2011 12:28 PM

Here's another article that shows his picture. He looks like he's in pretty good shape.

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-frie...0,511672.story

It's awful that this happened, but I don't think it's fair to blame Warrior Dash. They had three water stations for a 3 mile race. That's a lot. (The original plan was to only have 2. They added one presumably due to the heat.) They took good care of my diabetic friend who had to be carted off to the first aid tend due to blood sugar issues. I thought the event was very well run.

penguinz 08-03-2011 12:32 PM

It is sad that someone died but no one made him participate. The supposed lack of water on the course had little to do with this.

If the people were properly hydrated leading up to the event they would probably have been fine.

BigRichard 08-03-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 7798263)
Here's another article that shows his picture. He looks like he's in pretty good shape.

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-frie...0,511672.story

It's awful that this happened, but I don't think it's fair to blame Warrior Dash. They had three water stations for a 3 mile race. That's a lot. (The original plan was to only have 2. They added one presumably due to the heat.) They took good care of my diabetic friend who had to be carted off to the first aid tend due to blood sugar issues. I thought the event was very well run.

Agree 100%. If you were that hot you could have sat down in one of the many streams we crossed and cooled off.

rageeumr 08-03-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 7798237)
Is that the same guy?

Wow. Actually no. I just saw an update about the other guy this morning. He still has little to no liver function, which is causing him a bunch of other issues. He's still hooked up to a dialysis machine and they're loading him up with antibiotics to hopefully prevent any infections.

rageeumr 08-03-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 7798315)
Agree 100%. If you were that hot you could have sat down in one of the many streams we crossed and cooled off.

My only complaint was that the water at the aid stations was so hot, you didn't even really want to drink it. But with the multiple waves and the remote locations of the stations, I know the logistics of keeping ice stocked would be really tough.

BigRichard 08-03-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 7798341)
Wow. Actually no. I just saw an update about the other guy this morning. He still has little to no liver function, which is causing him a bunch of other issues. He's still hooked up to a dialysis machine and they're loading him up with antibiotics to hopefully prevent any infections.

Hopefully he comes out of it ok.

Omaha 08-03-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 7798341)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 7798343)
My only complaint was that the water at the aid stations was so hot, you didn't even really want to drink it. But with the multiple waves and the remote locations of the stations, I know the logistics of keeping ice stocked would be really tough.

Yeah, the water at the first station was HOT. I found cool water at the next two places.

I hope this guy is OK.

CHENZ A! 08-03-2011 01:48 PM

I ran at 1230 on Sunday, and people were dropping like flies. Saw one broad passed out in the mud. It was so hot I got a headache, and was getting cold chills. Didn't feel right until Monday morning, but in the end I made that course my bitch. About a half hour after finishing, I was going to get a beer and a turkey leg and they shut everything down.

Valiant 08-03-2011 03:09 PM

That sucks if true. Kctv5 & kmbc are going with the story now.

I don't think it was the races fault. They had water stations and personel everywhere.

Man problem is people skipped water and the other half were out of shape thought they could handle this for their first race.

Probably had an enlarged heart. If you had heat stroke problems, it was on you.

rageeumr 08-10-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 7798364)
I hope this guy is OK.

Passed away yesterday. 31 years old. What a shame. :(

http://www.kmbc.com/news/28818184/detail.html

BigRichard 08-10-2011 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 7813670)

That sucks.

Omaha 08-10-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 7813670)

Damn! That's just awful.

Mizzou_8541 09-17-2011 02:09 PM

Did anybody here run the Wakarusa Off-Road Challenge last week?

jiveturkey 12-17-2012 01:22 PM

Bump!

I signed up for the April 27th event and I'm in the 3pm group.

Chief Gump 12-17-2012 01:35 PM

I just ran Tough Mudder in Sarasota last weekend. If you want a real challenge try taking that on. Although I was a little disappointed with some of the obstacles, they had several that were much more of a challenge. The part I didn't like was the fact that they had these mud hills for several of the obstacles. It was like they ran out of ideas so they said lets just throw a mud hill in here.

jiveturkey 12-17-2012 01:38 PM

I'll check that one out.

Omaha 12-17-2012 02:01 PM

I'm looking forward to Spartan Race this summer/fall in Lincoln.

lewdog 12-17-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9218403)
I'm looking forward to Spartan Race this summer/fall in Lincoln.

I always knew you were a pussy bitch runner type of guy.

CHENZ A! 12-17-2012 09:43 PM

I doubt I'll ever do one of these again. It just didn't seem worth the money. besides, I'm an athlete. I'm not trying to be the best at exercising.

Omaha 12-17-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9219771)
I always knew you were a pussy bitch runner type of guy.

I do it all, bitch!

Valiant 12-17-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 9219828)
I doubt I'll ever do one of these again. It just didn't seem worth the money. besides, I'm an athlete. I'm not trying to be the best at exercising.

Depends on when you sign up.. I have not spent more then 35 with codes.. I figure for that you get the race, shirt, other items and paying for personnel. Now, 50-75 dollars? **** no..

It is a good way to have fun for the day, meet some ladies, get muddy..

CHENZ A! 12-17-2012 09:54 PM

Seriously though.. they marketed this thing as a fun/goofy walk in the park. There were a lot of out of shape people that didn't take it seriously, mixed with the heat it turned deadly. I'm in decent shape and well hydrated and it ****ed me up a little. Majority of the people shouldn't have been allowed to run that day. I saw people smoking cigarettes waiting to start, was ****ing dumb. People passed out on the trail in the mud.

lewdog 12-17-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omaha (Post 9219841)
I do it all, bitch!

Like guys.....got it.