ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News 17 dead after duck boat capsizes on Table Rock Lake (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316341)

BigRedChief 11-10-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13880158)
Really gotta read that case to know why that woman got a settlement (that was reduced a ton on appeal).

She had to get skin grafts, folks. And there were internal memorandum from McDonalds execs acknowledging they were serving that shit way too hot but that it made the restaurants smell better so they did it anyway as a business strategy. And if you want to punish them for knowingly serving a thing that can hurt people in the name of selling more McMuffins, then the award has to be BIG because they're a billion dollar enterprise.

The McDonalds verdict made a lot of sense when you start to break it down. And again - it was reduced on appeal anyway.

Yeah, people just rolled eyes and bitched about horrible lawyers and our poor justice system.

For me it was a great part of our system of justice. A business knew their product was dangerous to the public but kept it that way because it made them more money.

Lawyers and bad publicity keep businesses from making that decision on a daily basis. That helps protect us consumers from dangers we don't know. It had to be a large settlement to modify their behavior.

HemiEd 11-10-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 13880438)
Airplanes and cars are legitimate forms of travel, Ducks aren't. I'm not necessarily agreeing to shut them down but I wouldn't want the liability of them. I rode in one at Wisconsin Dells years ago and I wasn't terribly comfortable with how low it sat in the water. I'd never get in one again.

I have a cousin that remembers them from his Military days. They were pretty unsafe and not dependable for our Military according to him.

jjjayb 11-10-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 13880438)
Airplanes and cars are legitimate forms of travel, Ducks aren't. I'm not necessarily agreeing to shut them down but I wouldn't want the liability of them. I rode in one at Wisconsin Dells years ago and I wasn't terribly comfortable with how low it sat in the water. I'd never get in one again.

Nobody needs a fishing boat either, or a ski boat, they aren't "legitimate" forms of trasnportation" right? :rolleyes:

Mephistopheles Janx 11-10-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 13881700)
Nobody needs a fishing boat either, or a ski boat, they aren't "legitimate" forms of trasnportation" right? :rolleyes:

:spock:

srvy 01-11-2021 07:49 AM

New Duck Boats to hit Branson spring of 2021. New owners say new boat unsinkable. Somehow this sounds like Titanic all over again.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kP3hwwXebzA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

threebag 01-11-2021 12:46 PM

https://media.tenor.com/images/2fbdd...288d/tenor.gif

Fish 07-16-2021 09:05 PM

63 felony charges filed in duck boat accident on Missouri lake that killed 17

A local prosecutor on Friday filed a total of 63 felony criminal charges against three employees over a July 2018 tourist boat accident on a Missouri lake that killed 17 people.

The charges were filed in Stone County against the captain, the general manager and the manager on duty the day of the accident for the Ride the Ducks attraction on Table Rock Lake near the tourist mecca of Branson.

The charges were announced by County Prosecuting Attorney Matt Selby and Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt.

The charges against captain Kenneth Scott McKee, of Verona, general manager Curtis Lanham, of Galena, and manager on duty Charles Baltzell, of Kirbyville, came seven months after a federal judge dismissed charges filed by federal prosecutors, concluding that they did not have jurisdiction.

McKee faces 29 charges, including 17 charges of first-degree involuntary manslaughter. An affidavit from a Missouri Highway Patrol sergeant accuses him of failing to exercise his duties as a licensed captain by taking his amphibious vehicle onto the lake during a thunderstorm.

Baltzell and Lanham face 17 charges each of first-degree involuntary manslaughter. They are accused of failing to communicate weather conditions and failing to cease operations during a severe thunderstorm warning.

The dead included nine members of one family from Indianapolis. Other victims were from Missouri, Illinois and Arkansas.

philfree 07-16-2021 11:30 PM

Many time I've been just across the lake from where this happened. I've raced a storm back to our dock just in the nick of time in the pontoon we had when I was in my 20's/30's. Those storms could roll up on you in a moments notice back in the day but in more modern times this storm should have been scene coming. Just a terrible **** up by the people in charge.

HemiEd 07-17-2021 06:04 AM

I find it interesting that the charges were filed in the little Stone County offices instead of Taney County where Branson is located.

Maybe the part of the lake the tragedy happened was in Stone County.

duncan_idaho 07-17-2021 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HybridEd (Post 15744220)
I find it interesting that the charges were filed in the little Stone County offices instead of Taney County where Branson is located.

Maybe the part of the lake the tragedy happened was in Stone County.

Isn't most of the lake on the MO side in Stone County?

HemiEd 07-17-2021 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15744224)
Isn't most of the lake on the MO side in Stone County?

Good point, probably so, but the Duck Boat ride is in Branson, thus the question.

Just a curiosity on my part though, as Galena is a long way from the lake and the ride.

Hoping not to get called in for jury duty on this as it may take a while.

srvy 07-17-2021 04:42 PM

Has no charges been file on the Owners of Ride the Duck that flaunted safety issues that needed to be corrected?

Of course, they have no culpability whatsoever. :rolleyes:

LiveSteam 07-17-2021 05:26 PM

Those microbursts you guys have down there on the lakes
Its some very very violent shit.