ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music KQRC 98.9 the rock (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=210506)

sodcat 07-17-2009 06:28 PM

KQRC 98.9 the rock

Anyone else think they play way to many commercials? I was driving home this evening they played 2 or 3 songs than about 6 minutes of commercials and other junk. Is XM worth the price and is the reception quality good, at least in the KC area? THanx for any input. I was out in VA beach last summer and their radio station, WNOR was 10 times better, and a lot larger selection of songs unlike the rock who plays a lot of the same songs.

Bowser 07-17-2009 06:31 PM

Way too many commercials, and way too many of the same old, same old songs. I have Sirius, and it is worth every single dime (never thought I'd say that about the thought of buying radio, but there it is).

And speaking of which, whatever happened to Jason Nivins in the evening? He was actually a pretty entertaining dude (as far as radio clowns go).

Halfcan 07-17-2009 07:35 PM

Johnny Dare is fuggin annoying as hell-shut the fug up already and play some music.

petegz28 07-17-2009 07:39 PM

98.9 Rock=Metallica, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, Ozzy, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, Led Zepplin, AC\DC, Godsmack, AC\DC, Metallica, AC\DC, Pink Floyd, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, AC\DC, AC\DC, Godsmack.....

Bowser 07-17-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 5907638)
98.9 Rock=Metallica, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, Ozzy, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, Led Zepplin, AC\DC, Godsmack, AC\DC, Metallica, AC\DC, Pink Floyd, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, AC\DC, AC\DC, Godsmack.....

Right after requested Santa Monica!

"Bob" Dobbs 07-17-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 5907638)

Yeah, but they ARE #1. Must be doing SOMETHING right.

Bowser 07-17-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEKChiefsFan (Post 5907649)
Yeah, but they ARE #1. Must be doing SOMETHING right.

Yeah, there's nothing else to compete with. They are it when it comes to "rock" in KC.

petegz28 07-17-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5907652)
Yeah, there's nothing else to compete with. They are it when it comes to "rock" in KC.

This.....

If it weren't for 98.9, however, I would not have invested in a bad ass stereo and sound system for the camaro that plays CD's and MP3's!!!!!

"Bob" Dobbs 07-17-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5907652)

I mean they're #1 over EVERY station. It's a VERY well programmed station. That's why there's no direct competition; they kicked everyone's ass who tried.

Bowser 07-17-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEKChiefsFan (Post 5907689)
I mean they're #1 over EVERY station. It's a VERY well programmed station. That's why there's no direct competition; they kicked everyone's ass who tried.

Their musical selection sucks. Johnny does his thing in the morning; Moose has the 80's selections down; NeanderPaul does a little harder stuff, with the same rectycled shit thrown in (by request), and Ryan Westward brings a bit more edge to the music, but has zero personality (and does anyone know what happened to Nivins? He was there, then gone, just like that). My point is that you could almost carbon copy each day of 98.9, then replay it day after day, almost down to the same songs at the same part of each day. It's that repetitive and predictable.

mikeyis4dcats. 07-17-2009 07:59 PM

thats corporate radio.

I give them credit for at least trying to stray as far as Entercom will allow them.

Bowser 07-17-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 5907704)
thats corporate radio.

I give them credit for at least trying to stray as far as Entercom will allow them.

I agree, and that's why I love satellite. It's nice to hear songs you haven't heard in forever, if not some you've never heard on a radio from your favorite artists.

petegz28 07-17-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5907707)
I agree, and that's why I love satellite. It's nice to hear songs you haven't heard in forever, if not some you've never heard on a radio from your favorite artists.

Kansas City rock stations are all the same...Pnk Floyd, Led Zepplin, AC\DC, Metallica,,,when 99.7 (the old 102) was still around, at any given time you could flip between 98.9, 101 and 102 and hear one of those bands......

"Bob" Dobbs 07-17-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5907702)
Their musical selection sucks. Johnny does his thing in the morning; Moose has the 80's selections down; NeanderPaul does a little harder stuff, with the same rectycled shit thrown in (by request), and Ryan Westward brings a bit more edge to the music, but has zero personality (and does anyone know what happened to Nivins? He was there, then gone, just like that). My point is that you could almost carbon copy each day of 98.9, then replay it day after day, almost down to the same songs at the same part of each day. It's that repetitive and predictable.

I guess my point is that, well, it WORKS. KQRC's numbers are up significantly right now. I mean, I GET that it's stale and repetitive, but for every one of us that HATES small playlists, there are 50 that keep listening to it. That's why Sirius exists (although THEIR highest rated channels have, guess what, very tight playlists... just no commercials).

"Bob" Dobbs 07-17-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 5907704)
thats corporate radio.

Realistically, Entercom couldn't care LESS what any of their stations play, as long as it's profitable. Period.