ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex speaks of playbook and contract (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281366)

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-09-2014 12:48 PM

Alex speaks of playbook and contract

Chiefs
Chiefs QB Alex Smith looks to the future, not the season past
By GARRETT JOHNSTON

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/08...he-future.html

Special to The Star

PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. — Barely a month removed from one of the Chiefs’ biggest games in years, Alex Smith is still feeling the sting of the season-ending playoff loss at Indianapolis.

Smith and his professional partner, Brendon Todd, finished three rounds at 16-under 199 and were not in position to make the cut when play was suspended Saturday because of darkness.

“You get over it enough for sure, but it always kind of stays there a little bit,” Smith said. “You kind of have a little bitter taste in your mouth, and I don’t think that ever leaves until next season.”

Smith is not into second-guessing the way the game unfolded either. He is however looking forward to the development of coach Andy Reid’s offense moving in to their second year together.

“I’m very excited, if you look at our last eight or nine games offensively, we really did some good things and took off a little bit there,” Smith said. “And we got some momentum heading into the offseason. Obviously the playoff game was tough to take, but there are some positive things, too.”

A significant change toward a pass-heavy offense midway through the season showed a gradual building of trust between coach and personnel.

“It just kind of happened naturally,’ Smith said. “I think the defense was playing great for the first half, and we played some good defenses as well.

“It was our first year in the offense, we didn’t turn the ball over, we were opportunistic in the red zone, but yes we didn’t really have the entire playbook at hand, and that’s to be expected in the first year with a lot of new faces. So as the year went on and we got more comfortable and coach Reid got more comfortable with us and his staff, he started to trust us with more and we showed that we could handle it. By the end, I was feeling really good about things.”

Smith was also glad to see a great development in 24-year-old receiver AJ Jenkins last season. In that 45-44 playoff loss, Jenkins’ number was called on a key third-down play in the fourth quarter. Jenkins gained 27 yards and a first down.

“He came along all season,” Smith said. “and really it was coach Reid and it was a play that was designed for AJ. It was him all the way, and he stepped up with Donnie (Avery) going down.

“We put a lot of trust in him, he’d worked hard and took some huge steps I thought as the season went on, and he made a huge play there on a third down.”

That game also gave Smith a chance to show off his arm and open up the passing game.

“It was fun, I felt like Indy was just kind of a taste of what we could do,” Smith said.

Since the playoff loss, Smith participated in the Pro Bowl in Hawaii and attended the Super Bowl in New Jersey. Smith and his family are staying in northern California, and Smith says he’s “not sure” if he’ll return until April.

There are also contract questions that naturally arise.

“I’d love to be (in Kansas City),” he said. “We’ll see. I’ve still got one more year on my contract. It’s such a year-to-year deal anyway, so we’ll see what happens.

“I think at this point when you get veteran enough it’s always year to year. You just understand it’s the nature of the game. You’ve got to play good, otherwise you move on, so I don’t care how many years you’ve got on a contract, for me it’s just to be expected.”

Ultimately, Smith is happy to see the team’s progress.

“I’m excited,” Smith said. “We’re a young team. We did some things, but you’ve got to start all over now.”

HolyHat 02-09-2014 12:49 PM

He managed his way through that interview really well. No mistakes made.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-09-2014 12:50 PM

I caption that avay
"I madest thou look"

WakkaWakka 02-09-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WayneBowe (Post 10422316)
He managed his way through that interview really well. No mistakes made.

Your sig pic is hilarious! ROFL

Rausch 02-09-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrtonsPiercedTaint (Post 10422313)
“I’d love to be (in Kansas City),” he said. “We’ll see. I’ve still got one more year on my contract. It’s such a year-to-year deal anyway, so we’ll see what happens.

Whut?

He'd love...to...what?

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/160...-out-boy-o.gif

BlackHelicopters 02-09-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10422339)

We'd love to have you in Kansas City too Alex.

Rausch 02-09-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 10422364)
We'd love to have you in Kansas City too Alex.

IT'S NOT A ****ING QUESTION!

DOUBLE DOUCE ALEX IS ON THE HOOK FOR TWO YEARS!

Brock 02-09-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10422366)
IT'S NOT A ****ING QUESTION!

DOUBLE DOUCE ALEX IS ON THE HOOK FOR TWO YEARS!

No.

HemiEd 02-09-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Smith
Smith and his professional partner, Brendon Todd,

Do to the context of his San Fransico connection, when I saw this line I thought he was "coming out." NTTIAWWT

BossChief 02-10-2014 09:01 PM

I bet he moves to KC when he gets his contract extension.

That's a factor in negotiating the deal this year versus next year.

Rausch 02-10-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 10422409)
No.

You'd disagree?

He got here on a deal and he'll only add to it...

In58men 02-10-2014 09:38 PM

If you think Alex Smith will lead a team to a Super Bowl victory, you're an idiot. It will never happen. I'm not bashing him, he just doesn't have it in him.

HonestChieffan 02-10-2014 09:51 PM

Alex is KC. Its real.

Wallcrawler 02-10-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 10426123)
If you think Alex Smith will lead a team to a Super Bowl victory, you're an idiot. It will never happen. I'm not bashing him, he just doesn't have it in him.

Seriously, this whole schtick is getting really ****ing tired.

Anyone who has seen his playoff games knows the guy can ****ing deliver in the clutch.

Kyle Williams cost the Niners a trip to the SB in his NFC title game, and our completely inept defense and a slew of injuries cost us the playoff game with the Chiefs.

Alex Smith is not the reason that those teams lost those playoff games.

Jesus Christ man, 44 points without his biggest offensive threat in Jamaal Charles for the entire game.

Take your head out of your ass. The oxygen deprivation is not only killing your brain cells, but your posts while under the effects are killing everyone else's as well.

****'s sake.

Psyko Tek 02-10-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 10426123)

if you think he was the problem in the colts game
your an idiot