ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How will YOU vote on the Stadium issue? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=100937)

Sig Kauffman 10-10-2004 01:34 PM

How will YOU vote on the Stadium issue?

Shall a retail sales tax of one-fourth (1/4) of one cent be levied and collected in Kansas and
Missouri metropolitan Culture District (“Bistate Metropolitan District”) consisting of Johnson
County, Kansas and Jackson County, Missouri, and such other counties which are or may
become part of the Bistate Metropolitan District and which authorize this tax to be levied
(each a “Participating County”), including the counties of Clay and Platte in Missouri and
Wyandotte in Kansas?

Phobia 10-10-2004 01:41 PM

I'll vote no. When the state starts giving me money to improve the facilities at my business, I'll vote yes.

I have more reasons that just that, but I don't really feel like getting into it while I'm watching the games.

keg in kc 10-10-2004 01:50 PM

If I vote, I'll vote no. I don't like band-aid plans. It's just postponing the inevitable. I'd rather see us spend, say, 600-750 million now than spend 400 million now and then 2 billion ten or fifteen years from now when both the teams threaten to leave.

JMO. Of course, I guess doing something is better than doing nothing. Both stadiums do need work.

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-10-2004 01:52 PM

I live in Illinois, so I don't think they'll let me vote. You can ask my sister in Lee's Summitt though if you want.

jynni 10-10-2004 01:53 PM

I will vote Yes because not only does this give money for stadium improvements, money will go to performing arts endevors.

Shawnee Mission Theater in the Park will get money as will the new performing arts center that is being built in KC. This is one area that I like to see money go into as it is often overlooked.

VonneMarie 10-10-2004 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc
If I vote, I'll vote no. I don't like band-aid plans. It's just postponing the inevitable. I'd rather see us spend, say, 600-750 million now than spend 400 million now and then 2 billion ten or fifteen years from now when both the teams threaten to leave.

Exactly. I'm voting NO.

Phobia 10-10-2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc

JMO. Of course, I guess doing something is better than doing nothing. Both stadiums do need work.

Thanks for typing that for me. It saved me a lot of time.

Another issue for me is dual purpose stadiums. With all the architectural advancements of the past 30 years, don't tell me a firm can't develop a transforming stadium that will appeal to baseball/football/soccer for <2/3rds the cost of 2 brand new venues. I know dual purpose stadiums suck, but if somebody really wanted to, they could be innovative with adaptable seating.

chiefs4me 10-10-2004 03:34 PM

Forgive me for asking but are you talking about royals and chiefs stadiums,,,,I did not realize this was happening,,,so they both want new sites,, and they threatened to leave,,,,the chiefs actually said they would leave??

Phobia 10-10-2004 03:37 PM

No, this is a revitalization project for both stadiums. They want $238 million from taxpayers. They also both want new stadiums at some point in the future.

Sig Kauffman 10-10-2004 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia
Another issue for me is dual purpose stadiums. With all the architectural advancements of the past 30 years, don't tell me a firm can't develop a transforming stadium that will appeal to baseball/football/soccer for <2/3rds the cost of 2 brand new venues.

Nowadays though, everyone wants their own stadium. Only 3 stadiums (Network Associates Coliseum in Oakland, the Metrodome in Minneapolis and Pro Player Stadium in Miami) are still home to both a football and baseball team. The dual-stadium thing much like what KC has is becoming the big thing. Seattle, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Pittsburgh and soon Dallas/Ft. Worth will have 2 stadiums sharing the same parking lot.

There's actually good reason for that too...anyone hear about how the Minnesota Twins had to stop their game in the 11th inning or so so they could convert the dome into football for the Gophers.

chiefs4me 10-10-2004 03:43 PM

Well since I don't live in Mo anymore I guess my 2 cents doesn't matter,,,,but why spend that kind of money now and want new stadiums in a few years,,makes you wander how some of these people in power got their jobs,,,,

ps,,thank you for answering all my ??

memyselfI 10-10-2004 03:48 PM

I'm voting NO.

Ultra Peanut 10-10-2004 04:23 PM

I somehow saw this as "Saddam." I was intrigued.

whoman69 10-10-2004 06:50 PM

I don't live in KC, but I would hope this doesn't turn out like with Busch stadium in StL. They revamped the stadium in '92, did more improvements in '96 and now they are getting a new stadium. Arrowhead, much like Dodger stadium in baseball is a great stadium well ahead of its time. I believe its problems can be corrected instead of replacing it with some sterile money making old boys club like in Washington and Denver where the fans spend more time in lounges than they do in the stands.

KCWolfman 10-10-2004 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs4me
Well since I don't live in Mo anymore I guess my 2 cents doesn't matter,,,,but why spend that kind of money now and want new stadiums in a few years,,makes you wander how some of these people in power got their jobs,,,,

ps,,thank you for answering all my ??

Two cents worth. That is eight dollars purchased with this tax.

For every 100.00 it works out to a lousy 25 cents. I don't mind paying that at all.

It sure beats paying that lame KC Earnings tax which is taken out every two weeks for a city falling apart school wise, entertainment wise, and sports wise. At least I know how the money is allocated in advance, which is more than I can say for the KC school funds.