ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News "Holy No Prenup, Batman!" Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos file for 137billion dollar divorce (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320223)

Rain Man 01-09-2019 03:06 PM

Amazon is going to sell nothing but handmade soaps and knitted scarves once this is all over and done.

Prison Bitch 01-09-2019 03:10 PM

She pushed out 4 of his kids and was there from the beginning.

She deserves 1/2 of everything.

JakeF 01-09-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 14020959)
She pushed out 4 of his kids and was there from the beginning. She deserves 1/2 of everything.

No, she doesn't.

Even 200 million per kid with another 500 million for her might be acceptable. Not 70 billion.

Prison Bitch 01-09-2019 03:19 PM

70B seems right to me.

Bugeater 01-09-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 14020806)
There's a point at which the money becomes irrelevant. If he goes from $137 billion to $70, is it really going to change a single thing about his life? Yeah, no.

More important is the voting control over Amazon. That's all that likely matters to him.

I beg to differ. $137B to $70 is going to require a significant change in lifestyle. I've had $70 before and I can tell you it doesn't go as far as you think.

baitism 01-09-2019 03:27 PM

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ThriftyFla...restricted.gif

ClevelandBronco 01-09-2019 03:27 PM

Assuming there's no prenup, the outstanding tab is half of everything you accumulated during your lengthy marriage. Man up and pay that woman.

Bugeater 01-09-2019 03:29 PM

Seriously though, why in the hell do any of you care about what she gets? They're both going to end up with more than they'll ever be able to spend.

Rain Man 01-09-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 14020806)
There's a point at which the money becomes irrelevant. If he goes from $137 billion to $70, is it really going to change a single thing about his life? Yeah, no.

More important is the voting control over Amazon. That's all that likely matters to him.

Sometimes these wealth things befuddle me a bit, though. He owns a lot of Amazon stock that would be worth that much if he sold it. But he hasn't sold it, and it doesn't pay a dividend at all. So that wealth is not generating any income for him, right?

Now, in an extreme case like this he could be selling $500 million a year of stock to generate income, and it'll last his whole life. But he's still selling the stock to do that, which is selling an asset. The other $136.5 billion isn't making him a penny to cover his day to day living csts if I understand it right, unless there's some accounting chicanery you can do when you're rich like that.

If the guy wants to retain control of the company, maybe he'll have to get a night job at Chick Fil A or something.

Amnorix 01-09-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14020893)
I'd think for that kind of money I'd find somebody to make her quietly die of natural causes.

Darn, and I loved her so.

So your options are (1) live life with a measly $70 billion, or (2) risk going to jail for the rest of your life, and you choose option 2? That's some good decision-making going on there.

eDave 01-09-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14020850)
Says the guy that's never had to cut a $68 Billion check. :D

They should pose for a pic together with her holding one of those huge checks you see for lottery winners.

Amnorix 01-09-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 14020985)
No, she doesn't.

Even 200 million per kid with another 500 million for her might be acceptable. Not 70 billion.

Sure, but the law doesn't really adjust for absurd wealth, so it is what it is.

Donger 01-09-2019 04:01 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x0gaYyNk7QA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NSFW language

eDave 01-09-2019 04:02 PM

I don't think that's the case here Donger.

Amnorix 01-09-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14021086)
Sometimes these wealth things befuddle me a bit, though. He owns a lot of Amazon stock that would be worth that much if he sold it. But he hasn't sold it, and it doesn't pay a dividend at all. So that wealth is not generating any income for him, right?

Now, in an extreme case like this he could be selling $500 million a year of stock to generate income, and it'll last his whole life. But he's still selling the stock to do that, which is selling an asset. The other $136.5 billion isn't making him a penny to cover his day to day living csts if I understand it right, unless there's some accounting chicanery you can do when you're rich like that.

If the guy wants to retain control of the company, maybe he'll have to get a night job at Chick Fil A or something.

Yeah, it gets complicated under these circumstances. The control aspect is the only one Bezos should really care about. Certainly his wife shouldn't get a seat on the board and have as much influence as she would nominally be entitled to if she owned X% of the company.

My assumption, since it sounds like everything is amicable, is that they are structuring around this somehow. Let's face it, nobody "needs" anywhere near $70 billion in cash, so maybe there is a contract that he will pay for her expenses up to, whatever, $1 billion per year, and that otherwise the stock transfers to her upon his death. I have no idea. I've never even thought about how to handle soemthing crazy like this.

You might be able to do something clever involving putting the shares into a trust where she gets the economic benefits of the stock while he retains voting control. Maybe. Nuts.

I'll post about a FAR worse situation.