ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Great Gatsby sucks (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272923)

KChiefer 05-09-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9672479)
So J. Edgar is a bad film but you haven't seen it?

:spock:

It's rocking a 44% on RT. Ebert liked it though. The casting was just weird to me. Take a guy in his 30s and slap a bunch of make-up on him so he's 20-30 years older is just fail.

DaneMcCloud 05-09-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9672484)
I've heard good things about his performances in those, but never seen them.

They're both very good films although neither are the kind of films I gravitate towards. I like dramas but I definitely have to be in the right mood, or forget it.

KC_Connection 05-09-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 9672491)
Only two. The ship sinks and Leo's character dies.

Just hating on Jack Dawson.

Really, some of the greatest movies of all time involve love stories. You're missing out there.

KC native 05-09-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9672505)
Just hating on Jack Dawson.

Really, some of the greatest movies of all time involve love stories. You're missing out there.

I'm just hating on Titanic. I ****ing hate that movie with a passion.

DaneMcCloud 05-09-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9672497)
It's rocking a 44% on RT. Ebert liked it though. The casting was just weird to me. Take a guy in his 30s and slap a bunch of make-up on him so he's 20-30 years older is just fail.

It's a well done film, albeit, slow. Eastwood's an amazing director and composer and DiCaprio is totally convincing. In the end, I just don't think the subject matter is all that interesting to today's audience.

I feel the same way about J. Edgar as I do Good Night and Good Luck. The latter was a very good film as well (with six Oscar noms) but it's really hard for me to sit through period piece dramas.

Now, L.A. Confidential on the other hand, I could watch every week.

KChiefer 05-09-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 9672486)
I liked the Beach. It wasn't the greatest movie ever but was still a good movie IMO.

I saw it once, was pretty meh about it. Just, if someone said they'd never seen Titanic or The Beach, I'd recommend Titanic.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-09-2013 10:52 PM

Has any Baz Luhrmann film not been an overly elaborate spectacle meant for fans of musicals?

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-09-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9672490)
What classic literature has been put on screen with great success in the last say 20 years? I'm having a hard time thinking of many.

Hitchhiker's Guide, which I haven't read but I know many love only got 60% on RT.

LOTR

There Will Be Blood which wasn't even Sinclair's most famous novel.

You may laugh but Fight Club and American Psycho were both excellent adaptations. Palahniuk said he preferred the film's ending to the book's.

KC_Connection 05-09-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9672507)
It's a well done film, albeit, slow. Eastwood's an amazing director and composer and DiCaprio is totally convincing. In the end, I just don't think the subject matter is all that interesting to today's audience.

I feel the same way about J. Edgar as I do Good Night and Good Luck. The latter was a very good film as well (with six Oscar noms) but it's really hard for me to sit through period piece dramas.

I liked Good Night and Good Luck. Very well done. Probably Clooney's best effort as a director and Strathairn was great as Murrow.

L.A. Confidential is obviously a great film, one of the best from that decade. Entertaining every time I see it.

Demonpenz 05-09-2013 10:55 PM

Baz Luhrmann says his movies aren'tfor fat people and that he seeks the "In" crowd to see Gatsby

Demonpenz 05-09-2013 10:57 PM

His movie Australia is the second leading grossing Australian movie behind Crocidile Dundee...so there's that.

KChiefer 05-09-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9672507)

I didn't know Eastwood directed it. That does bode well for it. I never saw GNaGL either, but I did see Frost/Nixon eventually, and it too was slow, but it was good, though I'd never need to watch it again.

DaneMcCloud 05-09-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9672535)
I didn't know Eastwood directed it. That does bode well for it. I never saw GNaGL either, but I did see Frost/Nixon eventually, and it too was slow, but it was good, though I'd never need to watch it again.

I haven't seen Frost/Nixon but it's on the list. It was on one of the premium channels recently and I forgot to record it.

I'm expecting it to be similar in nature to Good Night and Good Luck and J. Edgar: Movies that I need to see, just to see them, but they won't likely be favorites or added to the DVD/Ultraviolet collection.

DaneMcCloud 05-09-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9672511)
Has any Baz Luhrmann film not been an overly elaborate spectacle meant for fans of musicals?

Yeah, that pretty much nails it. I'm a huge fan of theater and musicals, having seen dozens on Broadway and at the Pantages in Los Angeles, but movie musicals just don't interest me.

I can't really explain it but there's something about being in the audience, where the actors not only react to each other but to the audience as well, that can't be duplicated on film.

At least IMHO.

DaneMcCloud 05-09-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9672497)
It's rocking a 44% on RT.

With all due respect, I completely disregard websites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic because they're often initially wrong. Some of the greatest movies ever made were initially panned hard by critics, only to go on to be revered by later generations and regarded as classics of cinema. (The same can be said about music as well but that's a different subject entirely).

I'd prefer to actually watch a film for myself and come to my own conclusion before dismissing it outright.