ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Great Gatsby sucks (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272923)

KC_Connection 05-09-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9672540)
I haven't seen Frost/Nixon but it's on the list. It was on one of the premium channels recently and I forgot to record it.

Found that really good. The performances by Sheen and Langella made the movie.

DaneMcCloud 05-09-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9672548)

While they are both excellent actors, I'm particularly interested in seeing Langella as Nixon. I don't "see" Nixon when I think of Langella but I'm sure that he "disappears" into the part, as excellent actors often do

KChiefer 05-09-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9672515)
You may laugh but Fight Club and American Psycho were both excellent adaptations. Palahniuk said he preferred the film's ending to the book's.

Yeah, those are great. I guess I'm thinking about how often people take classics like Shakespeare or Dickens and botch it or try to modernize it which often butchers it.

KC_Connection 05-09-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9672552)
While they are both excellent actors, I'm particularly interested in seeing Langella as Nixon. I don't "see" Nixon when I think of Langella but I'm sure that he "disappears" into the part, as excellent actors often do

Oh yeah, he truly becomes Nixon. The interview scenes between the two are just phenomenal (particularly the last one) and really make the movie.

KChiefer 05-09-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9672548)

Yeah, I'll never forget Nixon giving him those ugly shoes at the end. It was just like National Lampoons Vacation!

KC_Connection 05-09-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9672558)
Yeah, I'll never forget Nixon giving him those ugly shoes at the end. It was just like National Lampoons Vacation!

Haha, yeah. I can see why you would say it was slow. Really did take a while to get rolling at the beginning.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-09-2013 11:38 PM

I can't watch Langella without thinking of his old tuna can flopping around whilst dodging Jeremy Irons' inaccurate gunfire in Lolita.

DaneMcCloud 05-09-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9672580)
I can't watch Langella without thinking of his old tuna can flopping around whilst dodging Jeremy Irons' inaccurate gunfire in Lolita.

He's amazing. I'd love to see him as an evil Sith or Jedi in one of the new Star Wars movies. I think he'd own, big time.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-09-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9672588)
He's amazing. I'd love to see him as an evil Sith or Jedi in one of the new Star Wars movies. I think he'd own, big time.

Speaking of space operas, have you heard any scuttlebutt about the possibility of a Mass Effect movie actually getting made? I know that WB optioned it at one point, but I've never heard anything about a script actually getting hammered out.

DaneMcCloud 05-09-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9672590)
Speaking of space operas, have you heard any scuttlebutt about the possibility of a Mass Effect movie actually getting made? I know that WB optioned it at one point, but I've never heard anything about a script actually getting hammered out.

All I've heard is that it's still in development and they've gone through several screenwriters and versions to get it "right".

I'll be sure to relay if I hear anything further.

keg in kc 05-09-2013 11:57 PM

There hadn't been a word about it for a while, but Casey Hudson did make a couple of comments about it in March at PAX east. http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/25/mass...l-says-hudson/

That's the last thing I heard. I don't think it's in development hell or anything though.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-10-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9672591)
All I've heard is that it's still in development and they've gone through several screenwriters and versions to get it "right".

I'll be sure to relay if I hear anything further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9672594)
There hadn't been a word about it for a while, but Casey Hudson did make a couple of comments about it in March at PAX east. http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/25/mass...l-says-hudson/

That's the last thing I heard. I don't think it's in development hell or anything though.

Gracias.

I still think it'd be the quintessential Cable Boutique TV series, but I'd settle for a film adaptation.

I remember when they tossed around Matthew Fox's name as Shepard, but I'd think his star has faded a touch since then.

2002 Matt Damon would have been a great fit. Can't think of a good fit now.

Edit: More conventional choices may be Sam Worthington or Tom Hardy.

Setsuna 05-10-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9672475)
It's theoretically impossible for you to hate that movie as much as me, and I've never even seen it.

I'd beat you. I've never seen it either and my hate for it is absolute.

Sorter 05-10-2013 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9672496)
I was just disappointed with it after seeing it. Expected more, but it just came off as generic action fare at times to me.

Really? I thought it was fairly original and despite it being a film centered on the CIA, distanced itself from the Bourne style action that so many have grown accustomed to.

Additionally, Mark Strong was awesome (as usual) so, there's that as well.

007 05-10-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9672451)
Wha?

Penzed