ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Great Gatsby sucks (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272923)

listopencil 05-16-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9672507)
It's a well done film, albeit, slow. Eastwood's an amazing director and composer and DiCaprio is totally convincing. In the end, I just don't think the subject matter is all that interesting to today's audience.

I feel the same way about J. Edgar as I do Good Night and Good Luck. The latter was a very good film as well (with six Oscar noms) but it's really hard for me to sit through period piece dramas.

Now, L.A. Confidential on the other hand, I could watch every week.

I loved Good Night and Good Luck. I grabbed a rental copy because the subject matter fascinates me and was blown away by how well crafted it was. A pleasant surprise. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in journalism.

bowener 05-16-2013 01:46 PM

I watched this last night, and I still am not sure how I feel about it. It is obviously heavily stylized, and with that being said, calling out the movie for using modern hip hop is more or less pointless. This isn't marketed as an authentic representation of NYC in the 20s. If you went into this film without any knowledge of the director and his previous films (especially Romeo and Juliet), then I feel you have no room to argue about his style of filming. I liked how he represented his world for the most part, but there were a lot of things I really disliked. Several times throughout the film there was some terrible CGI work done. I am confused by it because there was some good work as well, and so I do not know if it was done for a purpose or not (poor resolution of certain characters such as the black trumpeter when it featured him playing - but only in some shots and not others). This may just be me missing something, but it bothered me. There were also the obviously awful green screen shots, but again that may just be my taste (like when they are in front of JG's house going up the monstrous stairs.

Overall I liked the performances, but I just don't know how I feel about the rest I suppose.

Setsuna 05-17-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9685727)
Apparently she knows that rap sucks shit and has no place in a movie about the ****ING 1920S.

Ok demographics wise we know people your age have the most money BUT they also have children who in turn spend your money on simple things like going to the movies, so in actuality movie wise, those children have your buying power when it comes to movies and this is why that movie chose that to pull in your children. Also most children don't have any sense and adore rap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9686942)
She knows more about how to put together a movie than you do, apparently. ;)

ROFL I don't know about that. I don't like rap personally but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy the great acting of Dicaprio as he has been on fire lately.

DaKCMan AP 05-21-2013 01:52 PM

Going to see it tonight, non-3D.

Setsuna 05-21-2013 04:05 PM

My sister absolute loved it and said true to the book. The rap was a non factor and wasn't placed in the wrong setting in terms of putting it during an emotional scene.

DaKCMan AP 05-22-2013 05:09 AM

We both enjoyed the movie. I haven't gotten around to reading the book yet, so I can't compare the movie to the literature.

Micjones 05-22-2013 07:29 AM

I went to see this yesterday and absolutely loved it.
Everything from the story, to the cinematography, to the score.

Best film I've seen in a while.

Discuss Thrower 05-22-2013 11:28 PM

Just saw it. Unsurprised how it was shot as its a Baz Lurhmann joint. I thought it was well acted and the plot is spot on about how Gatsby embodies the American Dream.. but only if you knew that going in.

The music I felt was Lurhmann's attempt to "shock" us an audience the same way people of the 1920s would be shocked with jazz music and attitudes.