ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Fireplace and chimney - value vs function (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321232)

O.city 02-09-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14099214)
My house in high school had a wood stove in the basement, and it somehow became my job to get/keep the fire going after I got home from school. It was a major pain in the ash.

I got home from school around 3:30 and went to work around 4:30, and my mom got home around 5:00. They wanted it roaring by the time she got home. If the fire was still going it wasn't terrible - just put some more wood in it and stir it around. But if the fire had gone out, which was a 50/50 proposition, I'd spend half an hour messing with it, which was generally my only free time of the day. Having a wood stove is a great way to get your teenage kid to move out of the house if you want to launch them.

Yeah they’re a pain

We just use ours randomly in the basement. If we’re okaying poker or something down there I’ll fire it up or if we’re gonna watch a football game or something

I’d like to use it more as it’ll heat up the basement like a champ and save me some propane

Rain Man 02-09-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14099230)
Yeah they’re a pain

We just use ours randomly in the basement. If we’re okaying poker or something down there I’ll fire it up or if we’re gonna watch a football game or something

I’d like to use it more as it’ll heat up the basement like a champ and save me some propane

I did a study of heating fuels once for a client. If you can get off propane, it's worth a lot of money to you. Propane was way more expensive than gas or even electric heat.

O.city 02-09-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14099243)
I did a study of heating fuels once for a client. If you can get off propane, it's worth a lot of money to you. Propane was way more expensive than gas or even electric heat.

I really wish I could get natural gas ran up here but not likely unless I hit the powerball

oldman 02-10-2019 10:49 AM

I'd bet part of that is cold air coming down the chimney. Since cold air is heavier than warm, it'll just sit there until it's warmed. I'd go with an insert. My folks had one and it came in handy more than once when the power went out.

007 02-10-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 14100033)
I'd bet part of that is cold air coming down the chimney. Since cold air is heavier than warm, it'll just sit there until it's warmed. I'd go with an insert. My folks had one and it came in handy more than once when the power went out.

I assume you mean a had insert. Could you link a few. I've only seen what is available at local big box stores and don't really like how they look.

Also, doyesnt an insert still need the chimney? How does that stop the cold air?

Sorry for stupid questions but I really don't know shit about this stuff.

displacedinMN 02-10-2019 11:22 AM

They will put insulation around areas so cold air does not come in. Put a cap on the top of the chimney. Our guy wanted to take insulation out of the garage. I said no, so he had to get some at home depot.

There has to be someone around that specializes in this-that is not Lowes, HD, etc.

Mine was a Heat-n-Glo. Here is the website for the retail company in Maple Grove, MN
http://www.fireside.com/browse/inserts

JakeF 02-10-2019 11:43 AM

Most of them are garbage, let heat out as much as they heat the room. Get one with a door and a blower.

Randallflagg 02-10-2019 11:46 AM

We put a set of "ventless" gas logs into our former wood burner fireplace - closed the flue and it works like a charm....it usually got fairly cold with nothing burning in it - but these logs seem to do the trick. The flue stays closed and I filled up the ash clean out with a BUNCH of insulation - problem solved.

Yehoodi 02-10-2019 10:12 PM

We got an insert with a blower and it really heats the room. We did not use it this year. We put a piece of flat metal in place of the damper and cut a hole in it and feed the flue pipe coming out of the stove.

The blower really helps as it basically blows the air over/though the cast iron stove and into the room.

Bugeater 02-10-2019 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14100074)
I assume you mean a had insert. Could you link a few. I've only seen what is available at local big box stores and don't really like how they look.

Also, doyesnt an insert still need the chimney? How does that stop the cold air?

Sorry for stupid questions but I really don't know shit about this stuff.

No, a gas log doesn't use the chimney. It's vented out of the back.

This is what it would look like:

http://seodersleri.club/wp-content/u...-fireplace.jpg

007 02-11-2019 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14100801)
No, a gas log doesn't use the chimney. It's vented out of the back.

This is what it would look like:

http://seodersleri.club/wp-content/u...-fireplace.jpg

Except I have no access out of the back without breaking bricks.

Bugeater 02-11-2019 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14100812)
Except I have no access out of the back without breaking bricks.

Don't you have a sledgehammer?

Renegade 02-11-2019 06:17 AM

Just get a ventless gas fireplace. That is what I built into my house.

displacedinMN 02-11-2019 06:51 AM

Our new house comes out the side like what bugeater shows.

The old house was vented out the top of the chimney-then capped.

luv 02-11-2019 08:29 AM

Not sure exactly how they work, but, since my dad isn't a fan of fireplaces, he put in pellet stoves both in living room and basement. It was great during the ice storm when we were without electricity for a week. He plugged one into the generator, so we had heat.