ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Fireplace and chimney - value vs function (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321232)

Rain Man 02-12-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14102820)
Might have to just burn the house down and start over...

The heat would just go out the roof.

007 02-12-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14102820)
Might have to just burn the house down and start over...

Then I could fix some of bullshit they did when they built the place

Bugeater 02-12-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14103593)
Then I could fix some of bullshit they did when they built the place

Uhhh...no. The time to do that would have been before I did all that work to the room.

Don't EVEN think about that now...:grr:

007 02-12-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14103647)
Uhhh...no. The time to do that would have been before I did all that work to the room.

Don't EVEN think about that now...:grr:

No you couldn't. I'm taking about the dumbass vent system they did.

RetiredSeniorChief 02-12-2019 06:22 PM

It's cold air coming down the chimney (Cold air sinks). Just stuff some insulation up there out of sight or cut a piece of blue board or both. Just remove if you choose to use the chimney in the future or sell the house.

007 02-12-2019 06:29 PM

Is anyone using a ventless gas insert. Is there much of a lingering smell when using it.

Edit

Eh. Think I'll keep it simple and just get an electric.

Wonder of I have to get the gas line removed or not.

Bob Dole 02-12-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetiredSeniorChief (Post 14103710)
It's cold air coming down the chimney (Cold air sinks). Just stuff some insulation up there out of sight or cut a piece of blue board or both. Just remove if you choose to use the chimney in the future or sell the house.

Or close the flu.

If you have a ready source of wood, you can heat a fairly large house all winter with a good insert with fans. Like a Buckstove.

TrebMaxx 02-12-2019 06:36 PM

Do you have a ash box on the outside of the chimney? If you do have one you can go either way, vented or vent less. The vent can go through the ash box. I only know about a vented system and it worked very well.

007 02-12-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 14103743)
Do you have a ash box on the outside of the chimney? If you do have one you can go either way, vented or vent less. The vent can go through the ash box. I only know about a vented system and it worked very well.

Nope. Dumbasses didn't build one into it.

LiveSteam 02-12-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 14100879)
Not sure exactly how they work, but, since my dad isn't a fan of fireplaces, he put in pellet stoves both in living room and basement. It was great during the ice storm when we were without electricity for a week. He plugged one into the generator, so we had heat.

They are nice.. John Deer had few made and sold them.
Friend that works for JD brought one home for his unheated machine shop. Takes about a half hour. But it warms that old half barn, half chicken coup, turned into a machine shop, right up.

LiveSteam 02-12-2019 07:06 PM

Interested in a electric fireplace?
I can fix it.. My dads a TV repair man. He's got ultimate set of tools..

Bugeater 02-12-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 14103777)
Interested in a electric fireplace?
I can fix it.. My dads a TV repair man. He's got ultimate set of tools..

You need to take those ultimate tools and your ass down to Topeka to fix the brick on his chimney.

BWillie 02-12-2019 09:32 PM

I'd rather have a home that didn't even have a fireplace. Who uses them anymore. They are just a pain in the ass and you have to clean them and repoint them if you use them. Dumb. Doesn't really save you any money either.

A Salt Weapon 02-12-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14103926)
I'd rather have a home that didn't even have a fireplace. Who uses them anymore. They are just a pain in the ass and you have to clean them and repoint them if you use them. Dumb. Doesn't really save you any money either.

It’s fun to roast marshmallows with the kids inside.
Also doubles as a very effective attitude adjuster during Christmas time. Wrap some empty boxes and place them under the tree before Christmas. Every time a kid acts up throw one of the “presents” into the fireplace. Attitude changes real quick after that.

LiveSteam 02-12-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14103789)
You need to take those ultimate tools and your ass down to Topeka to fix the brick on his chimney.

We can do that this spring.