ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***OFFICIAL*** 2013 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269316)

DJ's left nut 06-02-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9725385)
I wonder if it makes any difference that the one he was having the altercation with wasn't the one he touched?

It can and probably will.

The 'touch' rule isn't a hard and fast one; the intent being the contact is extremely important. Yadi had a free look at the 1b ump once and didn't make contact with him. He clearly wanted to be in his face and yelling at him, but didn't want to rough him up.

With the ump he made contact with, he was clearly trying to get around him to go back to chewing on the ump. So the fact that the contact wasn't with the first ump will likely make a difference.

Here's where the star system may help us as much as anything. I'd be surprised if MLB dumps one of their MVP caliber players for any appreciable period of time for being upset about a clearly erroneous ejection.

Pepe Silvia 06-02-2013 03:03 PM

I'll have to see the highlights, I missed it.

DJ's left nut 06-02-2013 03:04 PM

Yadi didn't lose his mind until that Napoleonic little prick turned and smirked at him.

It was absolute bullshit.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-02-2013 08:20 PM

Each team should be allowed one ump ass whipping per year.

DJ's left nut 06-02-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9725980)
Each team should be allowed one ump ass whipping per year.

"The Purge: MLB Edition"

For one game a year, player-on-ump violence is condoned and encouraged.

Y'know what...I think it would solve a bunch of problems. If you're Joe West, your get your shit in order real fast. And if you're an MLB team that randomly pummels umpires that don't deserve it, well the umps are certainly going to hold that against you.

If every team simply administers reasonable piss-poundings to the West/Hernandez/Davidson/bundle of sticksan umpires of the world, all is well.

I love this plan. I'm excited to be a part of it.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-02-2013 08:42 PM

Venkman reference, FTW.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-02-2013 08:50 PM

Last night I couldn't sleep. I watched Freese's AB in the 9th of Game 6, then Berkman's in the 10th and Freese's in the 11th.

I still can't believe that happened. It was the most dramatic baseball game I've ever seen and we won. Probably the best World Series of our lifetimes and we won.

Still get goosebumps.

BigRedChief 06-02-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9726076)
Last night I couldn't sleep. I watched Freese's AB in the 9th of Game 6, then Berkman's in the 10th and Freese's in the 11th.

I still can't believe that happened. It was the most dramatic baseball game I've ever seen and we won. Probably the best World Series of our lifetimes and we won.

Still get goosebumps.

I have the DVD. It's just amazing, that actually did happen.

2006 will always be my favorite because I got to see it won live with my son. But how from a strictly excitement level, how can it ever get better? That was one of the best baseball games ever played.

Jewish Rabbi 06-02-2013 09:14 PM

I was an emotional wreck that night. Luckily I was watching alone and not taping myself :D

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-02-2013 09:43 PM

I just read through the about 500 posts in the 2011 Cardinals thread that encompassed that game. I was nervous just re-reading the damn things.

BigRedChief 06-02-2013 10:09 PM

I was reading on another board that freese and or his agent wanted a deal like Craig this off season and Mo didn't even want to discuss a deal. Anyone hear this rumor before? Think freese's days are numbered in STL?

Pepe Silvia 06-02-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9726076)

Still get goosebumps.

I recently watched it on you tube as well because I was watching old world series games when I was bored a couple weeks back, that game 6 still brings a tear to my eye, like you said I couldn't believe that happened and from that moment on I realized that I will never doubt this team again, no matter the circumstances, if they could come back from that adversity that they faced on that huge stage then they can do anything. I went crazy in 2006 because it was the first title in my lifetime and thought nothing could top that but I was wrong, nothing will ever beat 2011, that was just magic.Being a Cardinals fan is special for all of us here in our own unique way, they are part of our very soul.

Swanman 06-03-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9725398)
It can and probably will.

The 'touch' rule isn't a hard and fast one; the intent being the contact is extremely important. Yadi had a free look at the 1b ump once and didn't make contact with him. He clearly wanted to be in his face and yelling at him, but didn't want to rough him up.

With the ump he made contact with, he was clearly trying to get around him to go back to chewing on the ump. So the fact that the contact wasn't with the first ump will likely make a difference.

Here's where the star system may help us as much as anything. I'd be surprised if MLB dumps one of their MVP caliber players for any appreciable period of time for being upset about a clearly erroneous ejection.

The second ump was initiating more contact than Yadi. At worst, he was slightly hand-fighting the guy to get around him to scream at that young little prick some more. I see a fairly hefty fine and no suspension.

I think Al said it best on the game commentary - the fans aren't there to see the umps. That little prick saw a chance to be the spotlight and he took it. Yes, the rulebook states that you can be tossed for that, but it's almost never used on the basepaths especially when a guy is just showing frustration (as Yadi was) and not complaining about the call.

If you watch the replay, Matheny slips in front on Yadi right at the last second before Yadi could have gotten himself in real trouble.

DJ's left nut 06-03-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9726256)
I was reading on another board that freese and or his agent wanted a deal like Craig this off season and Mo didn't even want to discuss a deal. Anyone hear this rumor before? Think freese's days are numbered in STL?

I feel like they always have been.

He's a guy with arthritic ankles and a history of alcoholism - does it really make any sense to lock him up long-term when you have him under team control for 3 more seasons?

I'd ride David Freese through 2015 then let him walk as a FA. He'd be approaching his age 33 season at that point and likely won't get too terribly much on the open market.

At that point you re-assess. If Wisdom or Kelly come along as you've hoped, Freese won't be needed. If Wong or Garcia have forced your hand at 2b, you can always slide Carpenter back over to 3b (though I hate doing that; why move a guy to 3b that can give you that kind of offense and plus defense at 2b, a much hard position to fill?).

The Cardinals would have plenty of options.

Freese hasn't ever been a candidate for a long-term extension, IMO. He's played overaged for most of his career and just doesn't appear to be a wise gamble for a smart ballclub. Extract as much value from him as you can from his team controlled years and then let him walk as he enters his decline years. It's the only way a mid-market payroll can keep it's best young players in the organization.

I don't think refusing to sign him to an extension means they won't have him back.

Mi_chief_fan 06-03-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9726160)
I was an emotional wreck that night. Luckily I was watching alone and not taping myself :D

I remember not being able to sleep, going out & running a couple miles just to perk me up for work at 6am; don't think I got any actual sleep for a couple days after the series.