ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***Offical 2012 STL Cardinals World Champions Thread *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254619)

Frazod 01-28-2012 12:45 PM

Derek Lilliquist.

DJ's left nut 01-28-2012 01:12 PM

Liliquist did a great job with the staff during his interim run last season - he'll be fine. He's worked under Duncan for awhile and will have plenty of knowledge to offer.

I have no idea if Matheny will be a good manager, but I'm confident we'll continue to have one of the better pitching coaches in baseball.

whoman69 01-28-2012 01:16 PM

I saw rumors the Cards were perhaps shopping Lohse. Wonder who they were going to replace his spot in the rotation with? Couldn't be Westbrook. He hasn't been anywhere near as advertised. Trade Westbrook to some lower team that needs a starter to eat innings.

O.city 01-28-2012 01:16 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Hope you are right DJ.

DJ's left nut 01-28-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8332611)
I saw rumors the Cards were perhaps shopping Lohse. Wonder who they were going to replace his spot in the rotation with? Couldn't be Westbrook. He hasn't been anywhere near as advertised. Trade Westbrook to some lower team that needs a starter to eat innings.

Westbrook has been exactly as advertised.

Anyone that expected him to be anything other than what he was last season simply didn't pay attention to his career. The trade and subsequent extension for that clown rank up among the dumbest things Mozeliak's done.

Westbrook was a mediocre pitcher at his apex. Now he's just an old pitcher that used to be mediocre.

BigRedChief 01-28-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8332406)
Go the 2nd to last week of ST; you'll get the most 'regular' playing time. This year they also have a bunch of home games over that stretch as well as a couple of really close road games.

I dunno if there are any 'tricks', but the feel may be a little more relaxed this year. I enjoyed going to the back fields to watch the minor leaguers play in the mornings. You could sit right up against the fence, it felt like watching a softball game at the local rec.

Eh, I'm sure there are vets that have more insight than I do, we just went down there every morning, brought a ball and a bat and watched 'em practice until the games started.

thinking of going down March 25th for a couple of games and go see them on the road a couple of times. Its only about a 1/2 drive from where I work. I'm assuming that not many regulars travel on the road.

Miles 01-28-2012 02:00 PM

Latest from http://www.mlbtraderumors.com

SATURDAY,1:39pm: The Cardinals insist that there's no deal in place with Oswalt, according to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (via Twitter). General Manager John Mozeliak also denied that the club is near a deal with Oswalt, writes Matthew Leach of MLB.com.

Miles 01-28-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8332627)

Anyone that expected him to be anything other than what he was last season simply didn't pay attention to his career. The trade and subsequent extension for that clown rank up among the dumbest things Mozeliak's done.

Westbrook was a mediocre pitcher at his apex. Now he's just an old pitcher that used to be mediocre.

He is still completely mediocre at best which is not a total loss as the 5th starter. The trade was confusing as hell at the time but not nearly as bad as the money thrown at Westbrook for the extension. Really hope that it doesn't cause the Cards to sign more interesting guys like Oswalt.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-28-2012 02:10 PM

Ken_RosenthalKen Rosenthal

Source: #Rangers have not made offer on Oswalt. Interested in him, but as with #STLCards, not an obvious fit. #MLB

BigRedChief 01-28-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 8332755)
Latest from http://www.mlbtraderumors.com

SATURDAY,1:39pm: The Cardinals insist that there's no deal in place with Oswalt, according to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (via Twitter). General Manager John Mozeliak also denied that the club is near a deal with Oswalt, writes Matthew Leach of MLB.com.

I could see the Cardinals wanting Oswalt, Loshe and Westbrook to battle for the two spots. One gets hot, ride him.One flaters, give the other a chance.

If we get back to the playoffs having those 3 experienced arms out of the bullpen would be invaulable.

Now, why would Oawalt come here other to play with a possible playoff contender and his buddy Berkman for one more year???? No way the Cardinals are going to gaurantee him a starting spot. But, whatever his personal reasons, I just don't see the downside in signing Oswalt.

Miles 01-28-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8332810)
I could see the Cardinals wanting Oswalt, Loshe and Westbrook to battle for the two spots. One gets hot, ride him.One flaters, give the other a chance.

If we get back to the playoffs having those 3 experienced arms out of the bullpen would be invaulable.

Now, why would Oawalt come here other to play with a possible playoff contender and his buddy Berkman for one more year???? No way the Cardinals are going to gaurantee him a starting spot. But, whatever his personal reasons, I just don't see the downside in signing Oswalt.

Reports in the last week or so seem to suggest that he may be willing to take a little less to pitch for the Cards. Apparently Beltran took a tad less than his highest offer as well.

It may be memories of what he used to be but I really want Oswalt. I have no problem with the idea the he is at least guaranteed the back end of the rotation unless he pitches himself out of it. The Cards rotation going into this year isn't exactly a model of good health and 6 deep could be more than just a luxury.

DJ's left nut 01-28-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the Cardinals would absolutely guarantee him a starting spot.

You think they're gonna offer him 6+ million to be a setup guy? C'mon - if he signs in STL it will be because we guaranteed him a slot in the rotation. We'll have Lohse and Westbrook battle for 5, but only after WW proves himself healhty, Carpenter proves to have bounced back from a heavy workload and Garcia proves he's ready to take the next step as a starter.

We could definitely guarantee Oswalt a starting spot and probably still not end up with too many arms.

whoman69 01-28-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8332627)

Westbrook was advertised as someone Duncan could fix, a replacement for Suppan. He hasn't come close to getting back to his numbers early with Cleveland and certainly hasn't come close to Suppan numbers. He's going to be a guy who can't fill any spot in the playoffs except perhaps in a game where the starter blows up in the 2nd.

Marco Polo 01-28-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Lohse had a much higher WAR than Oswalt and Westbrook. Lohse is also on a contract year so I expect a big year for him. Westbrook could be moved to the bullpen for spot starts and extended innings in the BP.

damaticous 01-28-2012 03:59 PM

What is this baseball thing you speak of?