ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Dolphins GM says Tua is QB for 2021 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=336066)

MahomesMagic 01-05-2021 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15445883)
Depends on what you consider a bust. I think Tua will have a 10 year career assuming he stays healthy. I just don't think he ever develops into your prototypical franchise QB. He'll be in that Teddy Bridgwater tier of QB's. Imo.

Ok. I think he will be better than Goff and Dak Prescott, IF he stays healthy. My biggest worry on him was the injuries and just getting through the season behind Miami's young OL.

The downside to Tua is you need to invest more in OL than your average top college prospect.

He should not have played this year, IMO.

Baby Lee 01-05-2021 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15445819)
Louis Riddick was on ESPN today basically ripping the shit out of people for saying the Dolphins should draft a QB and "The expectations people have for young QBs is ridiculous"

The expectations for young QBs OVERALL have been skewed by Mahomes, and to a lesser extent Allen and Herbert.

That doesn't make Tua any better, though. He's right and wrong. Very few QBs are Mahomesian, . . . some would say singular. But many QBs are still superior to Tua. Something may click for him at some point, but he's not on a trajectory for franchise quality.

Baby Lee 01-05-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 15445901)
Ok. I think he will be better than Goff and Dak Prescott, IF he stays healthy. My biggest worry on him was the injuries and just getting through the season behind Miami's young OL.

The downside to Tua is you need to invest more in OL than your average top college prospect.

He should not have played this year, IMO.

That's an apt slotting, I'd only alter that he's better than Goff but not as good as Dak. 18-22 range of rank among 32 starters. Competent to be a safe choice for a good team, but not necessarily something you would invest all your eggs in no matter what, . . but also not something you are in desperation mode to replace no matter what either, . . . dare I say Alexian, as is the parlance hereabouts?

Deberg_1990 01-05-2021 03:02 PM

If I were a Miami fan, I definitely would be worried and a little upset that they could have had Herbert.

Megatron96 01-05-2021 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15445892)
I agree that it's too early to draft another QB. Tua showed enough to cock tease you. I just don't think he's any good under pressure and can't throw into tight windows. He's reluctant, almost gun shy. Kinda robotic like a Daniel Jones. He doesn't exude god-given talent like some of these other guys. He's going to have to work really ****ing hard at it, and i think he WILL, as he seems like a hard working, high character guy. But his ceiling will always be limited by his talent. That's my 2-cents at least.

I see him as a capable NFL QB at leading a low-powered offense with a focus on not turning the ball over and playing defense. I don't see him as ever being "the man".

Mostly I agree.

However, let's remember that he didn't get a real preseason, no preseason games, etc. And he was coming back from a very serious injury. Heck, he might not have been 100% when they started him. He broke his hip, fcs. Anyway, both things might have contributed to how he played this season.

I think they have to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him at least another season or two to show something. Heck, he probably shouldn't have started this season, based on what we saw. Which again is hardly his fault. But he was never going to jump into this season and be super successful. he simply doesn't have the big arm or whatever to do that.

MahomesMagic 01-05-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 15445913)
That's an apt slotting, I'd only alter that he's better than Goff but not as good as Dak. 18-22 range of rank among 32 starters. Competent to be a safe choice for a good team, but not necessarily something you would invest all your eggs in no matter what, . . but also not something you are in desperation mode to replace no matter what either, . . . dare I say Alexian, as is the parlance hereabouts?

Goff gets 30 million a year. He wins games.

Yes, from our (KC) standpoint that isn't that exciting but there is a reason NFL teams pay Goff, pay Dak. You don't just grab anyone off the shelf as a replacement.

MahiMike 01-05-2021 03:09 PM

As soon as the new contract went into place where they control the pay by slot and position, I said teams should draft a QB in 1st round each year.

Why not keep trying till you get your franchise QB.

Baby Lee 01-05-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 15445926)
Goff gets 30 million a year. He wins games.

Yes, from our (KC) standpoint that isn't that exciting but there is a reason NFL teams pay Goff, pay Dak. You don't just grab anyone off the shelf as a replacement.

What exactly do you think you're disagreeing with me on here?

Unless I'm misreading and you're simply echoing and amplifying.

I agree, he's not exciting but he's not a disaster. About at the level where you keep alert for the opportunity to improve, but don't panic for a quick replacement.

htismaqe 01-05-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 15445913)

Alex could make all the throws. His biggest problem was mental - not wanting to push the ball downfield.

Tua's boundary throws are terrible. He's like Lamar Jackson without the running ability. Over the middle he's fine but force him to throw outside and he's just not good.

Marcellus 01-05-2021 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 15445933)
As soon as the new contract went into place where they control the pay by slot and position, I said teams should draft a QB in 1st round each year.

Because this is a terrible way to build a team. You aren't even likely to be in a position to draft a "franchise" QB every year in the 1st round. Hell it took KC giving up 2 1st rounders to get Mahomes.

Sure you take your shot if you have a guy you really like but you need to at least attempt to build around them and give them a shot before drafting another guy very high.

Hebert may digress simply by getting a new coaching staff for 2021. You want improvement from a young guy stop changing shit on him every season.

MahomesMagic 01-05-2021 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 15445943)
What exactly do you think you're disagreeing with me on here?

Unless I'm misreading and you're simply echoing and amplifying.

I agree, he's not exciting but he's not a disaster. About at the level where you keep alert for the opportunity to improve, but don't panic for a quick replacement.

Yeah, this part.

The Franchise 01-05-2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 15445933)

Because those contracts are guaranteed.

Pitt Gorilla 01-05-2021 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15445898)
Expectations have changed. Too many QB's coming out of the draft now and finding early success.

Have they? Mahomes wasn't the starter until Year 2.

Pitt Gorilla 01-05-2021 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 15445907)
The expectations for young QBs OVERALL have been skewed by Mahomes, and to a lesser extent Allen and Herbert.

That doesn't make Tua any better, though. He's right and wrong. Very few QBs are Mahomesian, . . . some would say singular. But many QBs are still superior to Tua. Something may click for him at some point, but he's not on a trajectory for franchise quality.

With which rookie QB trajectory are you comparing him?

pugsnotdrugs19 01-05-2021 03:35 PM

It just seems like Tua takes forever to make decisions out there and with his arm, that’s no bueno. They aren’t Alabama open anymore.

I think he holds this franchise back from true being a true contender.