ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Dolphins GM says Tua is QB for 2021 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=336066)

louie aguiar 01-05-2021 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 15445832)
Herbert was a physical tools QB, Tua was a more cerebral college QB.

The physical tools show up first in the NFL.

Tua should not have even been playing this year. He will be fine.

And Fields is not the answer.

Allen is also a tools QB but he didn't make the leap until year 3. I'm not advocating giving up on Tua, I agree that the expectations are ridiculous. I just think that it's tough to make it as a QB in the NFL when you don't have elite physical tools/arm talent.

MahomesMagic 01-05-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louie aguiar (Post 15446017)
Allen is also a tools QB but he didn't make the leap until year 3. I'm not advocating giving up on Tua, I agree that the expectations are ridiculous. I just think that it's tough to make it as a QB in the NFL when you don't have elite physical tools/arm talent.

Brees, Brady did ok for themselves.

Burrow does not have elite physical tools but is one of the best QB prospects I have seen come into the NFL.

There's more to QB than big arm, throw hard, run fast.

htismaqe 01-05-2021 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 15446024)
Brees, Brady did ok for themselves.

Burrow does not have elite physical tools but is one of the best QB prospects I have seen come into the NFL.

There's more to QB than big arm, throw hard, run fast.

Burrow can make all the throws. Brees and Brady could make all the throws.

Tua has a significant deficiency throwing outside the numbers. That's going to severely limit his ability to excel in the NFL.

Easy 6 01-05-2021 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 15445821)
Probably it's the right move. At least it's a high-percentage move. Can't chase QBs in every draft. At some point you have to play the cards you're dealt.

And Tua could become a good QB. He might just need to adjust to the speed of the NFL, kind of like how Andrew Luck did. No, I'm not saying the kid will be the next Andrew Luck. But he could see a similar trajectory in his development. It took about three seasons, iirc, for Luck to really be comfortable with the speed of NFL defenses, and begin to become the QB that everyone thought he could be. Even then Luck never was the Manning 2.0 a lot of people assumed he would be. But he did become a very good QB.

Tua could still become a solid QB. They kind of have to give him an entire season at least to prove himself.

I completely agree, put a bunch of talent around him and coach the shit out of him... spending consecutive #1's on a QB is a huge waste of precious resources

staylor26 01-05-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15446053)
I completely agree, put a bunch of talent around him and coach the shit out of him... spending consecutive #1's on a QB is a huge waste of precious resources

And if that doesn’t work out, you draft another QB down the line with a team already in place.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-05-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15446036)
Burrow can make all the throws. Brees and Brady could make all the throws.

Tua has a significant deficiency throwing outside the numbers. That's going to severely limit his ability to excel in the NFL.

Yup. They will never win a title with him and will waste any talent they accumulate

BeMyValentine 01-05-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15445835)
Then add Harris or Etienne and you’ve really got something.

I agree with most of your draft analysis each year but I don't see Etienne being a good NFL back. His blitz pickup is softer than a marshmallow.

Pitt Gorilla 01-05-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 15445896)
But Tua sucks, so....

Why are you saying that?

mililo4cpa 01-05-2021 04:47 PM

I'm kind of mixed on the whole thing:

On one hand, he wasn't impressive in the time he had to play

On the other hand, he has only a handful of games, and probably not fair to judge him at that point

However, I'm just not seeing "it" with the guy, and he hasn't really shown me much of anything that suggests that he's going to be much more than what he is right now. Doesn't mean he can't, and of course, I don't get to see they guy every day taking reps nor do I get paid to make that decision (so hard to argue with people who do get paid to do so...)

But man, some of those games were just rough, and not necessarily because of the rookie learning curve (cough, cough Raiders game against a D that just loves to get torched....)

Pitt Gorilla 01-05-2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mililo4cpa (Post 15446168)
I'm kind of mixed on the whole thing:

On one hand, he wasn't impressive in the time he had to play

On the other hand, he has only a handful of games, and probably not fair to judge him at that point

However, I'm just not seeing "it" with the guy, and he hasn't really shown me much of anything that suggests that he's going to be much more than what he is right now. Doesn't mean he can't, and of course, I don't get to see they guy every day taking reps nor do I get paid to make that decision (so hard to argue with people who do get paid to do so...)

But man, some of those games were just rough, and not necessarily because of the rookie learning curve (cough, cough Raiders game against a D that just loves to get torched....)

Did you see “it” with Josh Allen in year 1 or year 2?

OKchiefs 01-05-2021 05:40 PM

*disclaimer, i’m not bitching, just asking

Tua actually looked decent against KC and had some decent drives near the end of the game despite nearly every skill position player seemingly leaving the game injured. Am I off on that? That’s the only game I actually watched him, but it seems pretty apparent he’s been bad in most other games.

tredadda 01-05-2021 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15445867)
That will absolutely be their weakness and probably keep them from winning a SB.

But if they build a great team around Tua and he can at least be a game manager, they could still be a really good football team.

Would you draft Sewell then considering Tua is a southpaw or would you go skill position like WR to give him another weapon?

mililo4cpa 01-05-2021 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 15446237)
Did you see “it” with Josh Allen in year 1 or year 2?

Not sure what Allen has to do with Tua, but OK, here it goes:

Compared to Tua....yep, there were way more flashes by Allen in year one.

In regards to just Allen in Year 1....I felt about the same...very mixed. I also could see some good qualities along with the poor. You can't teach arm strength, and Allen did show some good instinctual ability to get out of the pocket and run. Of course, his accuracy sucked in year one, but some of that probably attributed to game speed and technique, which are somewhat workable. He also made the most boneheaded of decisions in the most inopportune times, so there were questions about that.

But, inevitably, the Bills were better with Allen than without. I don't know if I can say the same for the Fish at this point. They certainly weren't better with him than with Fitz

Tua, seems to have some good accuracy on his throws, but doesn't have the arm strength to really push the ball downfield. He seems to have enough instinctual sense to escape the pocket, but otherwise he just checks the ball down (he completed 3 more passes than Ryan Fitzpatrick, but had like 200 less yards)....He had the same YPA as Big Ben and Alex Smith and a shade above Sam Darnold.

But with that, I'm willing to concede that there is room for Tua to grow, hence "mixed" right now.....but I can definitively say that I didn't see anything that made me think "wow, this kid is going to be amazing when it all comes together". Even the most newest of rookies that turn out to be special are able to show those flashes, and I just didn't see it with him....

Buehler445 01-05-2021 05:49 PM

The thing I don’t get about Tua is in college he was this gunslinging menace. Downfield everywhere. Now he’s Alex Smith 2.0.

tredadda 01-05-2021 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15446300)
The thing I don’t get about Tua is in college he was this gunslinging menace. Downfield everywhere. Now he’s Alex Smith 2.0.

Talent disparity between Alabama vs their opponents and Miami vs theirs.