ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

RealSNR 01-09-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9300538)
Luke Joeckel is going to be a top 10 LT. Give him his due credit.

And no that doesn't mean I want to draft him. Just acknowledging that he is a very good LT.

And nearly everybody (even the haters) acknowledges that Geno Smith is a top 10 QB.

The issue for those people comes when they say, "Top 10 isn't good enough for #1 overall."

If it's true for Geno, it's sure as **** true for Joeckel, who plays a position of much less importance. So the "overrated" label to Joeckel absolutely fits him to a tee.

DJ's left nut 01-09-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9300503)
Jeff George is an excellent comparison both on and off the field.

That's not a great thing...

He's Jay Cutler, IMO.

And that is a good thing.

Cutler gets a bullshit rap. The dude is tough as nails, hyper-competitive and among the top 5 arms in the game. Bray could be that guy.

But it sure is a risk to take. I'd fall over myself sprinting to the podium to grab him in the 3rd, but it just doesn't seem likely that he'll fall that far.

keg in kc 01-09-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9300553)
And nearly everybody (even the haters) acknowledges that Geno Smith is a top 10 QB.

The issue for those people comes when they say, "Top 10 isn't good enough for #1 overall."

If it's true for Geno, it's sure as **** true for Joeckel, who plays a position of much less importance. So the "overrated" label to Joeckel absolutely fits him to a tee.

Yeah, but LT's have a higher positional value than QBs.

Duh!

duncan_idaho 01-09-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9300558)
He's Jay Cutler, IMO.

And that is a good thing.

Cutler gets a bullshit rap. The dude is tough as nails, hyper-competitive and among the top 5 arms in the game. Bray could be that guy.

But it sure is a risk to take. I'd fall over myself sprinting to the podium to grab him in the 3rd, but it just doesn't seem likely that he'll fall that far.

It's the tough and competitive stuff I question with Bray.

If he is willing to work hard and ends up being a tough QB, he's Cutler.

If he continues to be a whiny bitch for the rest of his career, he's George.

DJ's left nut 01-09-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9300516)
Also... regarding "Geno Smith is not RG3..."

No, he isn't. I'd actually argue that Geno is a superior passing prospect (pure passer) than RG3. Obviously, Griffin's athleticism and running ability add another dimensions that a defense must account for, which creates space in the passing game (usually by taking a back 7 defender away from the pass game).

But I wouldn't compare Geno Smith to RG3. If I was comparing him to a recent high pick, it would be Sam Bradford (But with more raw arm strength). Geno Smith's pedigree as a passer is better than RG3's.

The only thing Smith and Griffin really have in common is that they both played in Air Raid offenses (though Smith's is more of a pro-concept/traditional Air Raid and Griffin's was more spread) and they put up huge (and remarkably similar) senior seasons in the Big 12.

Oh, and their skin color.

Yup, Bradford and Smith are extremely similar prospects.

I think Bradford's accuracy was a little more consistent, but when Smith is on he's just as good. I think Bradfords footwork was a little bit better as well.

Smith's throwing motion is quicker and more precise. I like his build a little bit better and he is significantly more mobile. Where Bradford's arm strength is right around Phillip Rivers, I'd say Smith sits in the Eli Manning/Tony Romo range. Good arm, but not one that I see as elite (though I've said several times, he could prove me wrong; I just haven't seen it).

If Bradford is an 80 prospect with Luck being a 100 prospect, I'd put Geno at an 85ish. He has virtually every tool you could want but not the polish of a guy like Luck or insane athletic prowess of RGIII.

The funny thing is that if he ran a 4.4 forty, people would immediately rocket him up to 1.1...and it wouldn't make him a better QB at all.

He has to be the pick.

RunKC 01-09-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Luke Joeckel is easily a top 5 talent in the draft though. He has flat out dominated everyone he's played this year.

Not just done well. Dominated.

Watch his tape. The best defense in college (Bama), OU, LSU. None of those defenses could get pressure on Johnny Football from the left side all year long.

His positional value isn't as great as a QB, but the guy absolutely deserves the top 5 label he's getting.

WV 01-09-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9300550)
Yeah, and Nassib's college coach is an NFL coach now ... on a team that needs a QB, potentially...

Yep....look for BUF to look long and hard at Nassib.

Three7s 01-09-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

A lot of the dumbasses I talk too think Geno could drop to the 2nd round. Drives me crazy.

WV 01-09-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9300585)
Luke Joeckel is easily a top 5 talent in the draft though. He has flat out dominated everyone he's played this year.

Watch his tape. The best defense in college (Bama), OU, LSU. None of those defenses could get pressure on Johnny Football from the left side all year long.

His positional value isn't as great as a QB, but the guy absolutely deserves the top 5 label he's getting.

His point is though that Geno is the number 1 QB prospect and is at least equal to or more valuable to some teams (like the Chiefs) than Joeckel yet some people refuse to see that.

RunKC 01-09-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9300594)
His point is though that Geno is the number 1 QB prospect and is at least equal to or more valuable to some teams (like the Chiefs) than Joeckel yet some people refuse to see that.

Conservative Chiefs fans are afraid that Geno would be Blackledge all over again while Joeckel is the safe pick.

They've been trained to think that for 30 years.

I feel sorry for them.

keg in kc 01-09-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9300585)

I don't think anybody has said otherwise. I know what I've said is that he's not Orlando Pace. Similarly to how people are saying Geno Smith isn't RG3. He's a good prospect, but should he outstrip the top QB? Especially for a team that already has a good LT, albeit one they need to re-sign, a team that drafted a project in the 3rd round last year who has already shown some initial signs that he can play?

Joeckel shouldn't even be part of the discussion here. Although I have a great and undying fear that he'll end up being the pick anyway.

RealSNR 01-09-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9300603)
I don't think anybody has said otherwise. I know what I've said is that he's not Orlando Pace. Similarly to how people are saying Geno Smith isn't RG3. He's a good prospect, but should he outstrip the top QB? Especially for a team that already has a good LT, albeit one they need to re-sign, a team that drafted a project in the 3rd round last year who has already shown some initial signs that he can play?

Joeckel shouldn't even be part of the discussion here. Although I have a great and undying fear that he'll end up being the pick anyway.

To be fair, the issue is if Joeckel is overrated or not. Not if KC should pick him. RunKC at least acknowledges that KC picking him would be a travesty.

Chiefnj2 01-09-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV (Post 9300587)
Yep....look for BUF to look long and hard at Nassib.

They aren't taking him in the first round. He's not a top 50 prospect.

RunKC 01-09-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9300603)

Joeckel is worth the number 1 overall pick, but he won't go 1st becuase the team picking first (us) needs a QB.

I think you could see a team like St. Louis trading up for this guy though. He is excellent value for them.

WV 01-09-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9300612)
They aren't taking him in the first round. He's not a top 50 prospect.

I wouldn't think so either, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see him end up in BUF.