ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Need reasonable internet speeds in country (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276624)

crossbow 09-24-2013 05:10 PM

Need reasonable internet speeds in country

Any way to get a reasonable internet bandwidth in the country. No cable company is going to run wires beyond the edge of town. Can wi-fi do it? Any suggestions?

Buehler445 09-24-2013 05:14 PM

There is a local broadband company here.

I haven't heard of anybody liking Hughes net.

patteeu 09-24-2013 05:40 PM

Some places have direct line of sight wireless broadband, but my experience with the small company that provides it here in my area left something to be desired in terms of reliability. It was a big step up from dial up though.

I've also tried satellite (HughesNet). It was faster and more reliable than LOS wireless, but it had issues in bad weather and the latency issues prevent any kind of interactive applications (like gaming or voice over IP). If you don't need it for these types of applications, satellite is pretty good. It's pretty expensive though. I was paying $80 a month for service that was inferior (both in speed and especially latency) to the DSL that city folks were getting for $30 a month.

patteeu 09-24-2013 05:41 PM

Check with your phone company to see if they have DSL in your area. It took a while, but my phone company eventually came through and I'm much happier with it (even though it's a really slow version of DSL, 1.5Mbps down) than I was with either of the other alternatives I listed.

SLAG 09-24-2013 05:55 PM

If you don't use a lot of data Verizon lte might be a option

BigRedChief 09-24-2013 06:01 PM

I'm getting 60 meg for $30 a month. Sucks to be you I guess.

J/k
Either you can get a DSL company or you are stuck with Satellite bandwidth which expensive and sucks and you are at the mercy of the weather. Best bet.....check your bandwidth through your cell phone company.

Frosty 09-24-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10016289)
(even though it's a really slow version of DSL, 1.5Mbps down)

The only DSL we can get is 512 kbps download.

"Really slow".... :shake:

patteeu 09-24-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10016371)
The only DSL we can get is 512 kbps download.

"Really slow".... :shake:

That sucks. I hope they upgrade for you soon.

Frosty 09-24-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10016395)
That sucks. I hope they upgrade for you soon.

Me too. Apparently we are on the tail end of the line.

displacedinMN 09-24-2013 06:44 PM

My parents have a Verizon Jetpack.

3g. Good connection, fast. Have had 10 devices at once when all the family are around.

Price is OK. Not for full time surfing/gaming.
It was the best option.

Local wifi did not work-damn curving of the earth.

Consistent1 09-24-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 10016407)
My parents have a Verizon Jetpack.

3g. Good connection, fast. Have had 10 devices at once when all the family are around.

Price is OK. Not for full time surfing/gaming.
It was the best option.

Local wifi did not work-damn curving of the earth.

Some places that might work.

My Grandpa lives out in a dead spot and sometimes I can call him 15 times before he gets the call.

I stayed there for awhile when I first got stuck here and used on of those of those Virgin Mobile sticks. Mixed results at times, but not altogether awful.

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-24-2013 07:47 PM

My parents have WiFi internet, also called WISP. It sucks pretty hard, but it's a far better option than satellite, which has long latency and data caps.