ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher:Prodded by Andy Reid, Chiefs QB Alex Smith learning to be more aggressive (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273618)

crazycoffey 06-06-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9732283)
common misconception

my entire Huard argument was...Huard wasn't good, not one bit...but he would constantly target Bowe and Gonzalez regardless of coverage which was the only way we could move the ball in a Herm offense...

whereas Green was simply too good...and he wouldn't try and fit the ball into windows that didn't exist...which resulted in him being sacked and our offense being terrible...where Gonzalez would make catch after catch in traffic.

Go read the archives. Nothing worse than a bunch of CP historians who don't even know CP history.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9732293)
Huard was the best QB on the Chiefs roster from 2006-2008 and it isn't even close. People tend to forget that the Chiefs won nine games with Huard in 2006, started off 4-3 and led the AFC West before he was lost for the season in 2007.

And those were some supremely undertalented and old teams.

I was just trolling, jeez.

Jiu Jitsu Jon 06-06-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9732296)
Stick to making dorky QB barbershop quartet photoshops, Ju Jitsu Jon. You know nothing about football.

That was MS Paint, thank you very much.

ChiefGator 06-06-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9732236)
Being "aggressive" also refers to putting the ball into much tighter spots. Instead of dumping the ball off for a modest gain, Smith needs to trust himself and his receivers more and put the ball into tighter windows if the offensive is going to consistently move the ball downfield.

Absolutely. And it may mean instead of taking a sack, he goes for a lower probability, but still likely, pass. It may mean actually FEWER sacks.

I still don't understand how the 49ers offensive line gets so much love and yet their QB gets sacked so much. When our line was the best in football, we could pass AND run block effectively.

WhiteWhale 06-06-2013 06:16 AM

I can't believe people here are acting mad because Reid is trying to expand Smith's approach.

I mean are we really taking the 'How DARE Andy Reid ask Alex Smith to be more aggressive!" road? Is it a bad thing for the coach to see the limits of the QB's abilities?

Jesus people. Get a grip. I'm no Alex Smith fan, but this is an area almost everyone here has blasted Smith for. Why are you pissed? Yeah, it likely won't work. It's not a BAD thing for a coach to attempt to make a QB better though. It's called coaching.

WhiteWhale 06-06-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9732293)
Huard was the best QB on the Chiefs roster from 2006-2008 and it isn't even close. People tend to forget that the Chiefs won nine games with Huard in 2006, started off 4-3 and led the AFC West before he was lost for the season in 2007.

And those were some supremely undertalented and old teams.

KC won 9 games. Huard threw 20 passes a game vs LJ carrying the ball 40 times per game.

We played Martyball, and Huard had a nice little brief moment in 2006. As soon as defenses had a good amount of tape on him, he became a shitty QB because he's a shitty QB. I call it the "Tommy Maddox" effect. It's when a shitty QB looks good for 6 or so games because nobody knows his tendencies. Once pro defenses have them on tape, they get eaten alive.

Hammock Parties 06-06-2013 06:20 AM

Let the record show that Andy Reid would not have needed to coach Geno to "be more aggressive."

WhiteWhale 06-06-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9732403)
Let the record show that Andy Reid would not have needed to coach Geno to "be more aggressive."

Well that's great.

I hope you realize that if Geno sucks in NY everyone here looks like a reerun.

The guy wasn't RGIII and nobody in the NFL thought he was as good as Chiefs Planet did. If he's a star, he will shine. No excuses about him going to NY.

Marcellus 06-06-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9732403)

Let the record show that Reid decided he would rather coach Alex to be more aggressive than have Geno.

Andy Reid, you know the guy, the QB guru.

Tells you all you need to know doesn't it.

KCUnited 06-06-2013 06:44 AM

So Harbaugh didn't feel comfortable letting Smith throw down the field, but Reid does. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, I hope it works.

AdumbGuy 06-06-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9732396)
I can't believe people here are acting mad because Reid is trying to expand Smith's approach.

I mean are we really taking the 'How DARE Andy Reid ask Alex Smith to be more aggressive!" road? Is it a bad thing for the coach to see the limits of the QB's abilities?

Jesus people. Get a grip. I'm no Alex Smith fan, but this is an area almost everyone here has blasted Smith for. Why are you pissed? Yeah, it likely won't work. It's not a BAD thing for a coach to attempt to make a QB better though. It's called coaching.

Because it's the exact reason most people didn't want Alex Smith in the first place.

Next year, we can trade for Matt Cassel and maybe Reid can coach HIM to throw the deep pass! He'll only be 32. Prime learnin' years! We'd be fools NOT to do it.

FRCDFED 06-06-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9732396)

Take that common sense shit talk somewhere else! It is not tolerated here! Jump on the "bash the KC QB" bandwagon or move on!

:p

Dayze 06-06-2013 07:21 AM

If by 'Agressive' I hope they mean stretching the field vertically, rather than horizontally.

the last 4 years have been atrocious in attacking with the pass beyond 15 friggin' yards.

Marcellus 06-06-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdumbGuy (Post 9732443)
Because it's the exact reason most people didn't want Alex Smith in the first place.

Next year, we can trade for Matt Cassel and maybe Reid can coach HIM to throw the deep pass! He'll only be 32. Prime learnin' years! We'd be fools NOT to do it.

Great user name!:thumb:

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-06-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9732420)
Let the record show that Reid decided he would rather coach Alex to be more aggressive than have Geno.

Andy Reid, you know the guy, the QB guru.

Tells you all you need to know doesn't it.

No, I don't know.

KCDC 06-06-2013 08:49 AM

It may be too late to teach an old dog new tricks; but, I applaud Reid for trying. If Alex does not learn new tricks, we have a couple of mediocre years and he is gone, like we have all been warning.

Maybe, just maybe, an old dog can get comfortable enough to take a chance. I'm all for it. Either he'll become a better QB and might be worth a damn until a rookie (Bray) is ready, or he'll show Reid that he really is a bad QB that can do nothing more than be Captain Checkdown. In such a case, Reid will abandon him all the sooner. Either way we win.