ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher:Prodded by Andy Reid, Chiefs QB Alex Smith learning to be more aggressive (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273618)

TEX 06-06-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9732488)
If by 'Agressive' I hope they mean stretching the field vertically, rather than horizontally.

the last 4 years have been atrocious in attacking with the pass beyond 15 friggin' yards.

Would sure help to have more than one good WR that can be counted on consistently.

ptlyon 06-06-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9732734)
Would sure help to have more than one good WR that can be counted on consistently.

Baldwin?

Rasputin 06-06-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9732359)
So he was better than Brodie Croyle, Casey Printers, Tyler Thigpen and James Killian?

Well.... yeah.. but that doesn't mean he'd start on 29 other teams in the league in any given season.

LMAO

If only Casey Printers could get the direct snap from center down maybe? Just maybe he would have worked out ok? Probably not but it was the biggest knock on the guy during preseason and if you couldn't trust him from not fumbling a snap during a game well you just couldn't trust the guy. Can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit when you fumble the snap from the center.

Good times.

Sandy Vagina 06-06-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9732388)
I still don't understand how the 49ers offensive line gets so much love and yet their QB gets sacked so much.

Team success leads people to think the 49ers are strong all over. In a way, they are. Their pass protection hasn't been all that good, though. It is true that Alex occasionally takes a sack rather than force a throw. Sometimes, this is the wise thing to do.. sometimes, not so much. It can be frustrating to the casual fan that has no regard for consequences. (but with our team, better to punt than to force a pick six if no one is open, and the score doesn't demand such a risk)

Then Kaepernick comes in... and while he can't read defenses as well as Smith yet, he is a freak when it comes to evading a near sack. So a guy like Kaep can make OL pass pro look much better than it truly is.

Even the run blocking gets a bit overrated at times. There were lots of 3rd and short conversions that failed on run attempts too... where we added extra heavies that only managed to clog up our RB lanes. (and of course, the QB takes the blame for those conversions too, lolz!)

saphojunkie 06-06-2013 09:27 AM

Well, I think it's teaching an old dog new tricks, but after a few snarky comments about Alex Smith, I'm moving forward feeling pretty good about the direction of the franchise.

This tells me three vital things about this new regime:

1. They don't think Alex Smith of the past two years is good enough. He has to improve.
2. If he doesn't improve, then he will be replaced. You don't come out in public saying "This guy has to get better at X," and when he doesn't say, "Just kidding. He's great."
3. Andy Reid hasn't lost the attack nature that lead him to be the first coach calling 40 pass plays a game. Remember in 2005 when we would see the Philly box scores and say "Dude! You can't win throwing it that much"? Well, turns out he was right and hasn't lost the desire to put pressure on the defense.

These three inferences lead me to believe that these QBs have a short leash and the Chiefs are going to be finding a new solution in the next offseason.

Alex Smith SHOULD play his part beautifully - veteran leader who will help shepherd this team out of the dregs, allowing young talent to develop while having a fighting chance at the playoffs. Then, after getting injured or proving he just doesn't have the horses for a championship, he will be replaced by a high draft pick.

My best guess, my absolute best guess (or maybe just deepest hope), is that KC will move on a QB in the first next year and let him sit for a year behind Smith. And that will be just fine with me. I don't care if he won't contribute in time for Tamba Hali to still be in his prime. I'll take Hali and Charles retiring TODAY if it means getting our franchise QB.

ptlyon 06-06-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9732793)
Well, I think it's teaching an old dog new tricks, but after a few snarky comments about Alex Smith, I'm moving forward feeling pretty good about the direction of the franchise.

This tells me three vital things about this new regime:

1. They don't think Alex Smith of the past two years is good enough. He has to improve.
2. If he doesn't improve, then he will be replaced. You don't come out in public saying "This guy has to get better at X," and when he doesn't say, "Just kidding. He's great."
3. Andy Reid hasn't lost the attack nature that lead him to be the first coach calling 40 pass plays a game. Remember in 2005 when we would see the Philly box scores and say "Dude! You can't win throwing it that much"? Well, turns out he was right and hasn't lost the desire to put pressure on the defense.

These three inferences lead me to believe that these QBs have a short leash and the Chiefs are going to be finding a new solution in the next offseason.

Alex Smith SHOULD play his part beautifully - veteran leader who will help shepherd this team out of the dregs, allowing young talent to develop while having a fighting chance at the playoffs. Then, after getting injured or proving he just doesn't have the horses for a championship, he will be replaced by a high draft pick.

My best guess, my absolute best guess (or maybe just deepest hope), is that KC will move on a QB in the first next year and let him sit for a year behind Smith. And that will be just fine with me. I don't care if he won't contribute in time for Tamba Hali to still be in his prime. I'll take Hali and Charles retiring TODAY if it means getting our franchise QB.

"Blow it out yer ass Howard"

Chief_For_Life58 06-06-2013 09:53 AM

I cant even read these articles anymore

DaneMcCloud 06-06-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9732403)
Let the record show that Andy Reid would not have needed to coach Geno to "be more aggressive."

Let the record show that NO NFL team thought Smith worthy of a first round draft choice, let alone 1.1.

DaneMcCloud 06-06-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9732643)
No, I don't know.

Not surprising

HemiEd 06-06-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9732793)
Then, after getting injured or proving he just doesn't have the horses for a championship, he will be replaced by a high draft pick.

My best guess, my absolute best guess (or maybe just deepest hope), is that KC will move on a QB in the first next year and let him sit for a year behind Smith.

You had me until you got here, I need clarification.

Do you mean a Chiefs high draft pick? When you say KC will move on a QB in the first next year, do you mean they will trade their first for one, or actually pick one in the first?

crazycoffey 06-06-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9732403)
Let the record show that Andy Reid would not have needed to coach Geno to "be more aggressive."

Let the record show; there is no record to show

mcaj22 06-06-2013 11:02 AM

this broke dick doesnt have the shoulder or arm strength to be trying to force passes into tight windows, and hes smart enough to know it hence his short-medium passes at a very high percentage and low interceptions.

Giving him that green light and encouraging him to force it is only going to lead to more sacks, and I have no idea how this broke dick can take more sacks than he already currently has the past few seasons, but apparently we will see this season

Chiefnj2 06-06-2013 11:02 AM

People are reading way too much into the "aggressive" practice.

"You’ve got to find out about the offense and you can’t do it with your hands in your pocket. You’ve got to go out and try things and experiment. That’s what he’s doing now"

All they are doing is testing the offense and seeing what they are capable of. There is 8 years of tape that show just exactly what Smith is, and isn't. They aren't going to force him to try to be Favre.

Dayze 06-06-2013 11:06 AM

honestly, i was listening to the radio, and I'm not even sure why the interview professional athletes - especially NFL players.

they say talk but say absolutely nothing. They tow the line, everything is great. working hard. one day at a time etc.

Just lame. I'd rather not even listen to it. I mean, I know "I" don't have to, but I just wish the radio guys would stop. I realize it's their job, but good lord. why bother.

Mr. Laz 06-06-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9733008)
People are reading way too much into the "aggressive" practice.

"You’ve got to find out about the offense and you can’t do it with your hands in your pocket. You’ve got to go out and try things and experiment. That’s what he’s doing now"

All they are doing is testing the offense and seeing what they are capable of. There is 8 years of tape that show just exactly what Smith is, and isn't. They aren't going to force him to try to be Favre.

we don't agree about much but i believe you're right.

In practice you should see how much you can do and then start pulling back on what you can't do.

If you don't shoot for the moon then you will never have any idea of your potential until your back is against the wall and you have no choice.

Marty did this all the time ... all year long on the basics.

Then once he got into the playoffs and the basics weren't good enough we had to try to do stuff we hadn't been practicing.