ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher:Prodded by Andy Reid, Chiefs QB Alex Smith learning to be more aggressive (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273618)

saphojunkie 06-06-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9732891)
You had me until you got here, I need clarification.

Do you mean a Chiefs high draft pick? When you say KC will move on a QB in the first next year, do you mean they will trade their first for one, or actually pick one in the first?

Good point. I actually think they will, for really real, draft a QB in the first.

Which means they'll take one in the second after trading down. It will be smart, prudent, and genius, and I'll hate it.

The wait continues. Le sigh.

Mr. Laz 06-06-2013 11:48 AM

TJ Carpenter ‏@TJCarpenterWHB 7m
Reid spends all his time with the offense, in particular the QBs RBs and WRs... that's it. Did 1 drill with DL this offseason. #Chiefs

penbrook 06-06-2013 12:35 PM

Per Dave Skretta

Jamaal Charles says Alex Smith is fast. "He reminds me of Vince Young when I was in college."#Chiefs

penbrook 06-06-2013 12:38 PM

Per Tj Carpenter

It's been this way since day 1, but it should be noted, Tysyn Hartman has been the Chiefs starting nickle safety this offseason.*#Chiefs

mcaj22 06-06-2013 12:39 PM

thats because everyone else at safety is ****ing god damn terrible

he should just be the starting FS. he has the height and potential, and hes not brokedick Kendrick Lewis.

chiefzilla1501 06-06-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9733064)
Good point. I actually think they will, for really real, draft a QB in the first.

Which means they'll take one in the second after trading down. It will be smart, prudent, and genius, and I'll hate it.

The wait continues. Le sigh.

One point I brought up a few times but haven't heard anyone else respond to is... If Reid is able to make a more read option oriented offense work, then drafting a QB becomes much eeasier . in fact, the right QB could easily slip to the second or third round because he's a terrible fit for say a west coast offense but an excellent fit for the spread.

-King- 06-06-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9733165)
thats because everyone else at safety is ****ing god damn terrible

he should just be the starting FS. he has the height and potential, and hes not brokedick Kendrick Lewis.

You need to change your tampon. You're leaving a trail.

Mav 06-06-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9731780)
when game managers try to get more aggressive it usually leads to implosions.

Alex Smith will do whatever is asked of him. that's just the way he is.
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9732119)
Awesome!

I don't know how any Chiefs' fan would be upset by this. If true, it means Alex Smith will sink or swim. He's not going to game manage his way into keeping his starting job.

Whatever the game plan is, is what he will do. its always been that way. hes a perfect soldier. There is no general in him though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9732232)
low probablity for success with a 9 year vet. He'll be who he is when he is who he is on Sundays.

Really? Jim Harbaugh changed Alex Smith in a lockout shortened offseason. Taught him to protect the ball, and to make sure that every drive ended in a kick.

Alex has a brilliant mind, and he will do whatever Andy, and Doug want him to do. That is the problem with people assume that they know Alex Smith, and then get pissed when people WHO DO know Alex Smith, try to tell you what to expect. If Andy wants Alex throwing more down field, then Alex will do that.

mcaj22 06-06-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9733198)
You need to change your tampon. You're leaving a trail.

who do we have on this team that's good at safety besides Berry. Enlighten me oh wise one, and then explain how an UDFA nobody is the starting safety on passing downs beating them all out

Sandy Vagina 06-06-2013 07:47 PM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...unces-back-nfl

Quote:

The Chiefs will be the most improved team in the NFL this season, primarily because Alex Smith will be their starting QB. It's difficult for some people to see that today because this team won two games in 2012. It's hard for others to understand because Smith lost his job with the 49ers midway through last year. But the change will come. Alex has a lot to teach his new teammates about comebacks. When the Chiefs traded for Smith in February, they picked up exactly the kind of QB necessary to help them dig out of the wreckage that was last season. Smith wasn't solely valuable because he'd been an integral part of the 49ers' success over the previous two years. He was important because he understands how to turn miserable experiences into masterful play. No QB in the NFL has been as beaten down as this man since he became the top pick in the 2005 draft. The fact that he's still standing and starting says something about his heart.

Ace Gunner 06-06-2013 08:05 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/5adb038d7656...Iul1qz4rgp.gifhttp://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...ingGirlGif.gifhttp://imageshack.us/a/img19/7785/happycry.gif

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-06-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9732793)
My best guess, my absolute best guess (or maybe just deepest hope), is that KC will move on a QB in the first next year and let him sit for a year behind Smith. And that will be just fine with me. I don't care if he won't contribute in time for Tamba Hali to still be in his prime. I'll take Hali and Charles retiring TODAY if it means getting our franchise QB.

This is the greatest post in DAYS. If Lil' Chiefy has an Antichrist, this is it.
WIN.

Setsuna 06-07-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9732236)
Good God.

:facepalm:

Being "aggressive" also refers to putting the ball into much tighter spots. Instead of dumping the ball off for a modest gain, Smith needs to trust himself and his receivers more and put the ball into tighter windows if the offensive is going to consistently move the ball downfield.

That doesn't mean stepping back, opening himself up to the pass rush and heaving it 60 yards down the field.

Reid is correct: Alex needs to work on this NOW and develop a rapport with his receivers NOW, as opposed to having the game on the line and not knowing where to the put the ball where only his receivers can catch it.

Furthermore, Smith isn't likely to see a better secondary than the unit he faces in practice every day, so now is the time.

Le sigh...he used to have the arm to do such things but fact is he doesn't, meaning more INTs and also when you stop looking for that safety valve checkdown, you have to read defenses better and faster and I have zero confidence he will, QED he will get sacked more. I'm right and you need to facepalm yourself....infinity^infinity.

mdchiefsfan 06-07-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9732396)
I can't believe people here are acting mad because Reid is trying to expand Smith's approach.

I mean are we really taking the 'How DARE Andy Reid ask Alex Smith to be more aggressive!" road? Is it a bad thing for the coach to see the limits of the QB's abilities?

Jesus people. Get a grip. I'm no Alex Smith fan, but this is an area almost everyone here has blasted Smith for. Why are you pissed? Yeah, it likely won't work. It's not a BAD thing for a coach to attempt to make a QB better though. It's called coaching.

Game day bucket go BOOM!

Sandy Vagina 06-07-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9735295)
he used to have the arm to do such things but fact is he doesn't, meaning more INTs and also when you stop looking for that safety valve checkdown, you have to read defenses better and faster and I have zero confidence he will, QED he will get sacked more.

Not at all forcing you to believe this, but just saying, this post is inaccurate.

Smith's arm strength isn't that of the most elite, but it's been much better since he worked with pitching guru Tom House in recent years. So whatever he "used to have" as you say? He has that back, and it is probably even better, now that he's fine-tuned his mechanics.

His "lack of arm strength" won't get him into any more trouble than any other good quarterback that doesn't have a true cannon.