ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher:Prodded by Andy Reid, Chiefs QB Alex Smith learning to be more aggressive (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273618)

Tribal Warfare 06-05-2013 06:26 PM

Teicher:Prodded by Andy Reid, Chiefs QB Alex Smith learning to be more aggressive

Prodded by Andy Reid, Chiefs QB Alex Smith learning to be more aggressive
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
One of the qualities the Chiefs like in new quarterback Alex Smith is his recent history with few turnovers. Smith threw just 10 interceptions in his last 25 games for the San Francisco 49ers, a stat that looks extremely pretty in Kansas City after Chiefs quarterbacks committed 27 turnovers last season.

Smith’s low turnover rate was due at least in part by his reluctance to throw the ball down the field. He was referred to by frustrated 49ers fans as Captain Checkdown for his habit of throwing shorter patterns to receivers for shorter gains.

Smith is in the process of being reprogrammed by Andy Reid, his new coach. Reid doesn’t want to turn Smith into a turnover machine but wants him to be more aggressive, particularly during offseason practice.

“You want to get a feel for the offense now, particularly when you’re new at it (and) if there are close throws, challenge it, see what you can get away with,” Reid said. “If it ends up being an interception, OK, it’s an interception. You learn from it. These are smart guys so they learn from it and once they get into the season, they’re not experimenting with it on game day and they know what they can get away with and know what they can’t.

“It’s a new offense. I would tell any quarterback that comes in new that that’s what you need to do. I’ve told them all that. Go ahead and take your shots and see what you can get away with, within reason. But if it’s a close throw, there are going to be a few of those in the National Football League on game day so you need to know what you can get away with on each route.”

Smith and the other Chiefs quarterbacks were rewarded with several long completions in Wednesday’s practice. Smith had three such plays, including two to Jon Baldwin, while Tyler Bray and Ricky Stanzi had one apiece.

Wednesday’s barrage of big passing plays isn’t necessarily an indication the deep ball is back in the Chiefs’ offense. But since such plays have been scarce for the Chiefs in each of the past two seasons, they’re taking it as an encouraging sign.

“We’re just kind of continuing to press to see what we can do … finding out what we’re capable of,” Smith said. “You’ve got to find that out at some point. This is what the practice field is for.”

Smith was the NFL’s highest-rated passer last season before he was injured, missed a start and then replaced by Colin Kaepernick as San Francisco’s starting quarterback. Smith was completing more than 70 percent of his passes, a high rate, and had just five interceptions.

Still, he had just 30 touchdown passes in his final 25 starts for the 49ers. While that’s a good number as a ratio with his 10 interceptions, it still represents a shortage of big plays.

Smith won’t turn into a mad bomber overnight, if he ever does.

“You want to stay aggressive,” Smith said. “But in the end I’m always trying to make the right read and throw where the defense is telling me to throw. You don’t come out here and predetermine anything, like ‘Oh, I’m going to chuck it deep on this play.’ I’m constantly trying to just trust my eyes and what I’m seeing out there, trust my reads and what I’ve prepared for and then come out here and throw good balls.”

For his part, Reid might be OK with that. But for now, when an interception costs the Chiefs nothing, he would prefer Smith be more of a gambler.

“Everybody is all on board (with Smith),” Reid said. “He’s a good football player. He’s showing that (along with) good leadership. I’m asking him to do a ton of things. He’s handling it. We’ve had an interception here or there but that’s all part of this thing. You’ve got to find out about the offense and you can’t do it with your hands in your pocket. You’ve got to go out and try things and experiment. That’s what he’s doing now.

“It’s just good stuff. He’s staying aggressive with the ball, and I appreciate that.”

The final offseason practice is today. The Chiefs won’t get together again as a group until training camp begins in July at Missouri Western State University.

Smith indicated he may try to throw to some Chiefs receivers during their downtime in an effort to stay sharp.

“We’re heads and shoulder above where we were a couple of months ago,” he said. “But that’s a never-ending thing. I don’t think it’s something like, ‘We’ve got a good feel for each other so we don’t need to work anymore.’ You’re constantly working at it. This is our job, this is our craft. Every single day, it’s coming out here and pushing to get better.”

Hammock Parties 06-05-2013 06:27 PM

hey hey hey

let's try to teach an old dog new tricks

it'll work

it'll work

Setsuna 06-05-2013 06:51 PM

More aggressive means more INT and more sacks and higher % to be injured. Good job Reid. Well done. This won't end badly at all. Also you have to have talent to be aggressive.

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-05-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9731624)
More aggressive means more INT and more sacks and higher % to be injured. Good job Reid. Well done. This won't end badly at all. Also you have to have talent to be aggressive.

Luke Joekel ! LMAOLMAO

crazycoffey 06-05-2013 07:06 PM

I think I'm going to start turning optimitic.

hometeam 06-05-2013 07:22 PM

http://www.pajiba.com/assets_c/2013/...x277-68365.gif

milkman 06-05-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

With as many sacks as Smith has taken in the last couple of years, I don't know how he can be sacked more.

milkman 06-05-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9731502)
hey hey hey

let's try to teach an old dog new tricks

it'll work

it'll work

I don't believe it's entirely out of the question, but it is unlikely.

Mr. Laz 06-05-2013 07:34 PM

when game managers try to get more aggressive it usually leads to implosions.

Chiefs Pantalones 06-05-2013 07:40 PM

Game manager QB is game manager.

Dunerdr 06-05-2013 07:51 PM

Brilliant andy get alex to hold on take more sacks get hurt and me kaepernicked by bray. Thats my imaginary silver lining.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-05-2013 09:05 PM

This will end well!

chiefzilla1501 06-05-2013 09:35 PM

Awesome!

I don't know how any Chiefs' fan would be upset by this. If true, it means Alex Smith will sink or swim. He's not going to game manage his way into keeping his starting job.

Garcia Bronco 06-05-2013 10:44 PM

low probablity for success with a 9 year vet. He'll be who he is when he is who he is on Sundays.

Jiu Jitsu Jon 06-05-2013 10:47 PM

I'm sure I'll get yelled at for this but I think you guys could have signed a similar quarterback in Jason Campbell for a much lower price.

DaneMcCloud 06-05-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Good God.

:facepalm:

Being "aggressive" also refers to putting the ball into much tighter spots. Instead of dumping the ball off for a modest gain, Smith needs to trust himself and his receivers more and put the ball into tighter windows if the offensive is going to consistently move the ball downfield.

That doesn't mean stepping back, opening himself up to the pass rush and heaving it 60 yards down the field.

Reid is correct: Alex needs to work on this NOW and develop a rapport with his receivers NOW, as opposed to having the game on the line and not knowing where to the put the ball where only his receivers can catch it.

Furthermore, Smith isn't likely to see a better secondary than the unit he faces in practice every day, so now is the time.

DaneMcCloud 06-05-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Jon (Post 9732234)
I'm sure I'll get yelled at for this but I think you guys could have signed a similar quarterback in Jason Campbell for a much lower price.

Jason Campbell is completely and utterly worthless

Jiu Jitsu Jon 06-05-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9732238)

Not true...with a good running game he can do OK. He is a game manager and not someone who you would want to rely on his arm to win though.

Hootie 06-05-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9732238)

I was going to say the same thing but arguing with people about QB's on this site is just not worth it.

Jiu Jitsu Jon 06-05-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9732249)
I was going to say the same thing but arguing with people about QB's on this site is just not worth it.

No trolling intended, but what is Campbell's record vs. KC?

Hootie 06-05-2013 11:00 PM

no idea

what is every QB's record against KC the last 5 years?

I watched Cambpell fill in for Cutler one game last year and it was appauling...

he may have had some promise in Tampa but his confidence has long since passed

DaneMcCloud 06-05-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Jon (Post 9732252)
No trolling intended, but what is Campbell's record vs. KC?

Who cares? Every QB has a winning record against the Chiefs the past 7 seasons.

DaneMcCloud 06-05-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9732249)

The Football I.Q. on this site is lower than it's ever been in CP history, and it's not even close.

Hootie 06-05-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9732262)
The Football I.Q. on this site is lower than it's ever been in CP history, and it's not even close.

the whole Alex Smith ordeal has pretty much kept me out of football threads this entire offseason...

it's just not even worth it

people are so oblivious it sickens me...and I'd rather waste my time on CP calling Frazod fat then explaining to everyone why Joe Flacco isn't elite

crazycoffey 06-05-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9732263)
the whole Alex Smith ordeal has pretty much kept me out of football threads this entire offseason...

it's just not even worth it

people are so oblivious it sickens me...and I'd rather waste my time on CP calling Frazod fat then explaining to everyone why Joe Flacco isn't elite

he isn't, and neither was huard

Hootie 06-05-2013 11:15 PM

common misconception

my entire Huard argument was...Huard wasn't good, not one bit...but he would constantly target Bowe and Gonzalez regardless of coverage which was the only way we could move the ball in a Herm offense...

whereas Green was simply too good...and he wouldn't try and fit the ball into windows that didn't exist...which resulted in him being sacked and our offense being terrible...where Gonzalez would make catch after catch in traffic.

Go read the archives. Nothing worse than a bunch of CP historians who don't even know CP history.

DaneMcCloud 06-05-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycoffey (Post 9732278)
he isn't, and neither was huard

Huard was the best QB on the Chiefs roster from 2006-2008 and it isn't even close. People tend to forget that the Chiefs won nine games with Huard in 2006, started off 4-3 and led the AFC West before he was lost for the season in 2007.

And those were some supremely undertalented and old teams.

Hammock Parties 06-05-2013 11:22 PM

oh yeah, huard?

always thought he was pretty good

liked him

don't know if yall knew that i liked huard

RealSNR 06-05-2013 11:24 PM

Stick to making dorky QB barbershop quartet photoshops, Ju Jitsu Jon. You know nothing about football.

Discuss Thrower 06-06-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9732293)
Huard was the best QB on the Chiefs roster from 2006-2008 and it isn't even close. People tend to forget that the Chiefs won nine games with Huard in 2006, started off 4-3 and led the AFC West before he was lost for the season in 2007.

So he was better than Brodie Croyle, Casey Printers, Tyler Thigpen and James Killian?

Well.... yeah.. but that doesn't mean he'd start on 29 other teams in the league in any given season.

crazycoffey 06-06-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnecessary drama (Post 9732283)
common misconception

my entire Huard argument was...Huard wasn't good, not one bit...but he would constantly target Bowe and Gonzalez regardless of coverage which was the only way we could move the ball in a Herm offense...

whereas Green was simply too good...and he wouldn't try and fit the ball into windows that didn't exist...which resulted in him being sacked and our offense being terrible...where Gonzalez would make catch after catch in traffic.

Go read the archives. Nothing worse than a bunch of CP historians who don't even know CP history.

Quote:

I was just trolling, jeez.

Jiu Jitsu Jon 06-06-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9732296)
Stick to making dorky QB barbershop quartet photoshops, Ju Jitsu Jon. You know nothing about football.

That was MS Paint, thank you very much.

ChiefGator 06-06-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9732236)
Being "aggressive" also refers to putting the ball into much tighter spots. Instead of dumping the ball off for a modest gain, Smith needs to trust himself and his receivers more and put the ball into tighter windows if the offensive is going to consistently move the ball downfield.

Absolutely. And it may mean instead of taking a sack, he goes for a lower probability, but still likely, pass. It may mean actually FEWER sacks.

I still don't understand how the 49ers offensive line gets so much love and yet their QB gets sacked so much. When our line was the best in football, we could pass AND run block effectively.

WhiteWhale 06-06-2013 06:16 AM

I can't believe people here are acting mad because Reid is trying to expand Smith's approach.

I mean are we really taking the 'How DARE Andy Reid ask Alex Smith to be more aggressive!" road? Is it a bad thing for the coach to see the limits of the QB's abilities?

Jesus people. Get a grip. I'm no Alex Smith fan, but this is an area almost everyone here has blasted Smith for. Why are you pissed? Yeah, it likely won't work. It's not a BAD thing for a coach to attempt to make a QB better though. It's called coaching.

WhiteWhale 06-06-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

KC won 9 games. Huard threw 20 passes a game vs LJ carrying the ball 40 times per game.

We played Martyball, and Huard had a nice little brief moment in 2006. As soon as defenses had a good amount of tape on him, he became a shitty QB because he's a shitty QB. I call it the "Tommy Maddox" effect. It's when a shitty QB looks good for 6 or so games because nobody knows his tendencies. Once pro defenses have them on tape, they get eaten alive.

Hammock Parties 06-06-2013 06:20 AM

Let the record show that Andy Reid would not have needed to coach Geno to "be more aggressive."

WhiteWhale 06-06-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9732403)
Let the record show that Andy Reid would not have needed to coach Geno to "be more aggressive."

Well that's great.

I hope you realize that if Geno sucks in NY everyone here looks like a reerun.

The guy wasn't RGIII and nobody in the NFL thought he was as good as Chiefs Planet did. If he's a star, he will shine. No excuses about him going to NY.

Marcellus 06-06-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Let the record show that Reid decided he would rather coach Alex to be more aggressive than have Geno.

Andy Reid, you know the guy, the QB guru.

Tells you all you need to know doesn't it.

KCUnited 06-06-2013 06:44 AM

So Harbaugh didn't feel comfortable letting Smith throw down the field, but Reid does. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, I hope it works.

AdumbGuy 06-06-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9732396)
I can't believe people here are acting mad because Reid is trying to expand Smith's approach.

I mean are we really taking the 'How DARE Andy Reid ask Alex Smith to be more aggressive!" road? Is it a bad thing for the coach to see the limits of the QB's abilities?

Jesus people. Get a grip. I'm no Alex Smith fan, but this is an area almost everyone here has blasted Smith for. Why are you pissed? Yeah, it likely won't work. It's not a BAD thing for a coach to attempt to make a QB better though. It's called coaching.

Because it's the exact reason most people didn't want Alex Smith in the first place.

Next year, we can trade for Matt Cassel and maybe Reid can coach HIM to throw the deep pass! He'll only be 32. Prime learnin' years! We'd be fools NOT to do it.

FRCDFED 06-06-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Take that common sense shit talk somewhere else! It is not tolerated here! Jump on the "bash the KC QB" bandwagon or move on!

:p

Dayze 06-06-2013 07:21 AM

If by 'Agressive' I hope they mean stretching the field vertically, rather than horizontally.

the last 4 years have been atrocious in attacking with the pass beyond 15 friggin' yards.

Marcellus 06-06-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdumbGuy (Post 9732443)
Because it's the exact reason most people didn't want Alex Smith in the first place.

Next year, we can trade for Matt Cassel and maybe Reid can coach HIM to throw the deep pass! He'll only be 32. Prime learnin' years! We'd be fools NOT to do it.

Great user name!:thumb:

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-06-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9732420)
Let the record show that Reid decided he would rather coach Alex to be more aggressive than have Geno.

Andy Reid, you know the guy, the QB guru.

Tells you all you need to know doesn't it.

No, I don't know.

KCDC 06-06-2013 08:49 AM

It may be too late to teach an old dog new tricks; but, I applaud Reid for trying. If Alex does not learn new tricks, we have a couple of mediocre years and he is gone, like we have all been warning.

Maybe, just maybe, an old dog can get comfortable enough to take a chance. I'm all for it. Either he'll become a better QB and might be worth a damn until a rookie (Bray) is ready, or he'll show Reid that he really is a bad QB that can do nothing more than be Captain Checkdown. In such a case, Reid will abandon him all the sooner. Either way we win.

TEX 06-06-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9732488)
If by 'Agressive' I hope they mean stretching the field vertically, rather than horizontally.

the last 4 years have been atrocious in attacking with the pass beyond 15 friggin' yards.

Would sure help to have more than one good WR that can be counted on consistently.

ptlyon 06-06-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 9732734)
Would sure help to have more than one good WR that can be counted on consistently.

Baldwin?

Rasputin 06-06-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9732359)
So he was better than Brodie Croyle, Casey Printers, Tyler Thigpen and James Killian?

Well.... yeah.. but that doesn't mean he'd start on 29 other teams in the league in any given season.

LMAO

If only Casey Printers could get the direct snap from center down maybe? Just maybe he would have worked out ok? Probably not but it was the biggest knock on the guy during preseason and if you couldn't trust him from not fumbling a snap during a game well you just couldn't trust the guy. Can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit when you fumble the snap from the center.

Good times.

Sandy Vagina 06-06-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9732388)
I still don't understand how the 49ers offensive line gets so much love and yet their QB gets sacked so much.

Team success leads people to think the 49ers are strong all over. In a way, they are. Their pass protection hasn't been all that good, though. It is true that Alex occasionally takes a sack rather than force a throw. Sometimes, this is the wise thing to do.. sometimes, not so much. It can be frustrating to the casual fan that has no regard for consequences. (but with our team, better to punt than to force a pick six if no one is open, and the score doesn't demand such a risk)

Then Kaepernick comes in... and while he can't read defenses as well as Smith yet, he is a freak when it comes to evading a near sack. So a guy like Kaep can make OL pass pro look much better than it truly is.

Even the run blocking gets a bit overrated at times. There were lots of 3rd and short conversions that failed on run attempts too... where we added extra heavies that only managed to clog up our RB lanes. (and of course, the QB takes the blame for those conversions too, lolz!)

saphojunkie 06-06-2013 09:27 AM

Well, I think it's teaching an old dog new tricks, but after a few snarky comments about Alex Smith, I'm moving forward feeling pretty good about the direction of the franchise.

This tells me three vital things about this new regime:

1. They don't think Alex Smith of the past two years is good enough. He has to improve.
2. If he doesn't improve, then he will be replaced. You don't come out in public saying "This guy has to get better at X," and when he doesn't say, "Just kidding. He's great."
3. Andy Reid hasn't lost the attack nature that lead him to be the first coach calling 40 pass plays a game. Remember in 2005 when we would see the Philly box scores and say "Dude! You can't win throwing it that much"? Well, turns out he was right and hasn't lost the desire to put pressure on the defense.

These three inferences lead me to believe that these QBs have a short leash and the Chiefs are going to be finding a new solution in the next offseason.

Alex Smith SHOULD play his part beautifully - veteran leader who will help shepherd this team out of the dregs, allowing young talent to develop while having a fighting chance at the playoffs. Then, after getting injured or proving he just doesn't have the horses for a championship, he will be replaced by a high draft pick.

My best guess, my absolute best guess (or maybe just deepest hope), is that KC will move on a QB in the first next year and let him sit for a year behind Smith. And that will be just fine with me. I don't care if he won't contribute in time for Tamba Hali to still be in his prime. I'll take Hali and Charles retiring TODAY if it means getting our franchise QB.

ptlyon 06-06-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9732793)
Well, I think it's teaching an old dog new tricks, but after a few snarky comments about Alex Smith, I'm moving forward feeling pretty good about the direction of the franchise.

This tells me three vital things about this new regime:

1. They don't think Alex Smith of the past two years is good enough. He has to improve.
2. If he doesn't improve, then he will be replaced. You don't come out in public saying "This guy has to get better at X," and when he doesn't say, "Just kidding. He's great."
3. Andy Reid hasn't lost the attack nature that lead him to be the first coach calling 40 pass plays a game. Remember in 2005 when we would see the Philly box scores and say "Dude! You can't win throwing it that much"? Well, turns out he was right and hasn't lost the desire to put pressure on the defense.

These three inferences lead me to believe that these QBs have a short leash and the Chiefs are going to be finding a new solution in the next offseason.

Alex Smith SHOULD play his part beautifully - veteran leader who will help shepherd this team out of the dregs, allowing young talent to develop while having a fighting chance at the playoffs. Then, after getting injured or proving he just doesn't have the horses for a championship, he will be replaced by a high draft pick.

My best guess, my absolute best guess (or maybe just deepest hope), is that KC will move on a QB in the first next year and let him sit for a year behind Smith. And that will be just fine with me. I don't care if he won't contribute in time for Tamba Hali to still be in his prime. I'll take Hali and Charles retiring TODAY if it means getting our franchise QB.

"Blow it out yer ass Howard"

Chief_For_Life58 06-06-2013 09:53 AM

I cant even read these articles anymore

DaneMcCloud 06-06-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Let the record show that NO NFL team thought Smith worthy of a first round draft choice, let alone 1.1.

DaneMcCloud 06-06-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9732643)
No, I don't know.

Not surprising

HemiEd 06-06-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Then, after getting injured or proving he just doesn't have the horses for a championship, he will be replaced by a high draft pick.

My best guess, my absolute best guess (or maybe just deepest hope), is that KC will move on a QB in the first next year and let him sit for a year behind Smith.

You had me until you got here, I need clarification.

Do you mean a Chiefs high draft pick? When you say KC will move on a QB in the first next year, do you mean they will trade their first for one, or actually pick one in the first?

crazycoffey 06-06-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Let the record show; there is no record to show

mcaj22 06-06-2013 11:02 AM

this broke dick doesnt have the shoulder or arm strength to be trying to force passes into tight windows, and hes smart enough to know it hence his short-medium passes at a very high percentage and low interceptions.

Giving him that green light and encouraging him to force it is only going to lead to more sacks, and I have no idea how this broke dick can take more sacks than he already currently has the past few seasons, but apparently we will see this season

Chiefnj2 06-06-2013 11:02 AM

People are reading way too much into the "aggressive" practice.

"You’ve got to find out about the offense and you can’t do it with your hands in your pocket. You’ve got to go out and try things and experiment. That’s what he’s doing now"

All they are doing is testing the offense and seeing what they are capable of. There is 8 years of tape that show just exactly what Smith is, and isn't. They aren't going to force him to try to be Favre.

Dayze 06-06-2013 11:06 AM

honestly, i was listening to the radio, and I'm not even sure why the interview professional athletes - especially NFL players.

they say talk but say absolutely nothing. They tow the line, everything is great. working hard. one day at a time etc.

Just lame. I'd rather not even listen to it. I mean, I know "I" don't have to, but I just wish the radio guys would stop. I realize it's their job, but good lord. why bother.

Mr. Laz 06-06-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9733008)
People are reading way too much into the "aggressive" practice.

"You’ve got to find out about the offense and you can’t do it with your hands in your pocket. You’ve got to go out and try things and experiment. That’s what he’s doing now"

All they are doing is testing the offense and seeing what they are capable of. There is 8 years of tape that show just exactly what Smith is, and isn't. They aren't going to force him to try to be Favre.

we don't agree about much but i believe you're right.

In practice you should see how much you can do and then start pulling back on what you can't do.

If you don't shoot for the moon then you will never have any idea of your potential until your back is against the wall and you have no choice.

Marty did this all the time ... all year long on the basics.

Then once he got into the playoffs and the basics weren't good enough we had to try to do stuff we hadn't been practicing.

saphojunkie 06-06-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 9732891)
You had me until you got here, I need clarification.

Do you mean a Chiefs high draft pick? When you say KC will move on a QB in the first next year, do you mean they will trade their first for one, or actually pick one in the first?

Good point. I actually think they will, for really real, draft a QB in the first.

Which means they'll take one in the second after trading down. It will be smart, prudent, and genius, and I'll hate it.

The wait continues. Le sigh.

Mr. Laz 06-06-2013 11:48 AM

TJ Carpenter ‏@TJCarpenterWHB 7m
Reid spends all his time with the offense, in particular the QBs RBs and WRs... that's it. Did 1 drill with DL this offseason. #Chiefs

penbrook 06-06-2013 12:35 PM

Per Dave Skretta

Jamaal Charles says Alex Smith is fast. "He reminds me of Vince Young when I was in college."#Chiefs

penbrook 06-06-2013 12:38 PM

Per Tj Carpenter

It's been this way since day 1, but it should be noted, Tysyn Hartman has been the Chiefs starting nickle safety this offseason.*#Chiefs

mcaj22 06-06-2013 12:39 PM

thats because everyone else at safety is ****ing god damn terrible

he should just be the starting FS. he has the height and potential, and hes not brokedick Kendrick Lewis.

chiefzilla1501 06-06-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9733064)
Good point. I actually think they will, for really real, draft a QB in the first.

Which means they'll take one in the second after trading down. It will be smart, prudent, and genius, and I'll hate it.

The wait continues. Le sigh.

One point I brought up a few times but haven't heard anyone else respond to is... If Reid is able to make a more read option oriented offense work, then drafting a QB becomes much eeasier . in fact, the right QB could easily slip to the second or third round because he's a terrible fit for say a west coast offense but an excellent fit for the spread.

-King- 06-06-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9733165)
thats because everyone else at safety is ****ing god damn terrible

he should just be the starting FS. he has the height and potential, and hes not brokedick Kendrick Lewis.

You need to change your tampon. You're leaving a trail.

Mav 06-06-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9731780)
when game managers try to get more aggressive it usually leads to implosions.

Alex Smith will do whatever is asked of him. that's just the way he is.
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9732119)
Awesome!

I don't know how any Chiefs' fan would be upset by this. If true, it means Alex Smith will sink or swim. He's not going to game manage his way into keeping his starting job.

Whatever the game plan is, is what he will do. its always been that way. hes a perfect soldier. There is no general in him though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9732232)
low probablity for success with a 9 year vet. He'll be who he is when he is who he is on Sundays.

Really? Jim Harbaugh changed Alex Smith in a lockout shortened offseason. Taught him to protect the ball, and to make sure that every drive ended in a kick.

Alex has a brilliant mind, and he will do whatever Andy, and Doug want him to do. That is the problem with people assume that they know Alex Smith, and then get pissed when people WHO DO know Alex Smith, try to tell you what to expect. If Andy wants Alex throwing more down field, then Alex will do that.

mcaj22 06-06-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9733198)
You need to change your tampon. You're leaving a trail.

who do we have on this team that's good at safety besides Berry. Enlighten me oh wise one, and then explain how an UDFA nobody is the starting safety on passing downs beating them all out

Sandy Vagina 06-06-2013 07:47 PM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...unces-back-nfl

Quote:

The Chiefs will be the most improved team in the NFL this season, primarily because Alex Smith will be their starting QB. It's difficult for some people to see that today because this team won two games in 2012. It's hard for others to understand because Smith lost his job with the 49ers midway through last year. But the change will come. Alex has a lot to teach his new teammates about comebacks. When the Chiefs traded for Smith in February, they picked up exactly the kind of QB necessary to help them dig out of the wreckage that was last season. Smith wasn't solely valuable because he'd been an integral part of the 49ers' success over the previous two years. He was important because he understands how to turn miserable experiences into masterful play. No QB in the NFL has been as beaten down as this man since he became the top pick in the 2005 draft. The fact that he's still standing and starting says something about his heart.

Ace Gunner 06-06-2013 08:05 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/5adb038d7656...Iul1qz4rgp.gifhttp://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...ingGirlGif.gifhttp://imageshack.us/a/img19/7785/happycry.gif

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-06-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

This is the greatest post in DAYS. If Lil' Chiefy has an Antichrist, this is it.
WIN.

Setsuna 06-07-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9732236)
Good God.

:facepalm:

That doesn't mean stepping back, opening himself up to the pass rush and heaving it 60 yards down the field.

Reid is correct: Alex needs to work on this NOW and develop a rapport with his receivers NOW, as opposed to having the game on the line and not knowing where to the put the ball where only his receivers can catch it.

Furthermore, Smith isn't likely to see a better secondary than the unit he faces in practice every day, so now is the time.

Le sigh...he used to have the arm to do such things but fact is he doesn't, meaning more INTs and also when you stop looking for that safety valve checkdown, you have to read defenses better and faster and I have zero confidence he will, QED he will get sacked more. I'm right and you need to facepalm yourself....infinity^infinity.

mdchiefsfan 06-07-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Game day bucket go BOOM!

Sandy Vagina 06-07-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9735295)
he used to have the arm to do such things but fact is he doesn't, meaning more INTs and also when you stop looking for that safety valve checkdown, you have to read defenses better and faster and I have zero confidence he will, QED he will get sacked more.

Not at all forcing you to believe this, but just saying, this post is inaccurate.

Smith's arm strength isn't that of the most elite, but it's been much better since he worked with pitching guru Tom House in recent years. So whatever he "used to have" as you say? He has that back, and it is probably even better, now that he's fine-tuned his mechanics.

His "lack of arm strength" won't get him into any more trouble than any other good quarterback that doesn't have a true cannon.

MahiMike 06-07-2013 06:28 AM

Alex Smith was pretty damn aggressive in that playoff win over the Saints...

Sandy Vagina 06-07-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9735434)
Alex Smith was pretty damn aggressive in that playoff win over the Saints...

He is still more cautious than many other QBs, but he has changed for the better over the last few years. Watch him many years ago, and he would set up under center with an unsure, uncomfortable expression. In recent years, he's all sly and cocky smiles... seriously. I think it has more to do with him simply learning what's important. He's got the family and security to relax and treat the game as a game. Not to say he doesn't put A+ effort into football, he does. But he no longer battles with the intense pressure that can hinder QBs.

Easy 6 06-07-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 9731845)
Brilliant andy get alex to hold on take more sacks get hurt and me kaepernicked by bray. Thats my imaginary silver lining.

"Kaepernicked by Bray" :hmmm:, i like the way you think.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-07-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9736688)
"Kaepernicked by Bray" :hmmm:, i like the way you think.

This saying has truck.

49er guy49 06-10-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9733522)
Alex Smith will do whatever is asked of him. that's just the way he is.

Whatever the game plan is, is what he will do. its always been that way. hes a perfect soldier. There is no general in him though.

Really? Jim Harbaugh changed Alex Smith in a lockout shortened offseason. Taught him to protect the ball, and to make sure that every drive ended in a kick.

Alex has a brilliant mind, and he will do whatever Andy, and Doug want him to do. That is the problem with people assume that they know Alex Smith, and then get pissed when people WHO DO know Alex Smith, try to tell you what to expect. If Andy wants Alex throwing more down field, then Alex will do that.

As a guy who has seen every NFL game Alex has played in, and I have concluded there is no ****ing knowing him. I have been right about his performance a few times, but always on the wrong occasion.

I think you are closer than most of the people in here. If Reid wants alex to push the ball against certain coverage, he will. 2009 Alex used to throw to Davis on the post into all hell be damned triple coverage.

I think Alex might be close to his best throwing the ball 40 times a game with a healthy screen and check down game, but you never know with Alex Smith though. So based on my track record with predicting Alex Smith, he is going to do anything but thrive throwing the ball 40 times a game, but will do so later down the road.