ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs This Defense Going Forward (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320753)

Chargem 01-21-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 14060860)
This is something a buddy of mine and I were talking about last night...we don't have one.

Also we can't take certain parts of our opponent's strengths like teams do against us. It's like we don't even focus on that.

It's literally like...what are we? We just line up and run the play given.

I dunno, I would say the current philosophy is "bend don't break, stiffen in the red zone when defending a smaller field, try and keep them to field goals, hope the pass rush from the front 4 can affect the passing game"

Chiefshrink 01-21-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 14060746)
One thing is for certain, at least we have a Franchise QB, so with that monkey off our back, we can spend draft capital on other positions of need. We have a shitload of pics this year. Realistically, we are sitting pretty. :clap:

Well now the outside sports press will hound Mahomes in the fact he can't win big against BIG TEAMS when it counts. He has shown that 5x now. Pats,Rams,Seahawks,Chargers,Pats. Now are these his fault ? Nope!

He has only won one big game. Colts.

wheeler08 01-21-2019 01:28 PM

These threads are starting to piss me off cause it’s all for naught if we don’t fire grandpa Bob. And if we didn’t fire him after Indy Debacle or Tennessee Debacle, why fire him after coming 2” from the super bowl? I just don’t see Andy doing it unless Grandpa retires

smithandrew051 01-21-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 14060879)
Well now the outside sports press will hound Mahomes in the fact he can't win big against BIG TEAMS when it counts. He has shown that 5x now. Pats,Rams,Seahawks,Chargers,Pats. Now are these his fault ? Nope!

Fair or not, that’s just how it goes. If he doesn’t like it, he should consider taking less money on his next deal to help address other positions. It’s part of being the QB.

kcclone 01-21-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

I'm sure that will become a national media narrative if that trend continues. I don't think it's true, because clearly we have other issues in these games besides just Pat's slow starts.

From what I see, it's just big boy football. You're going against the best teams, best coaches, best QB's, best defenses, etc.

IMO we are incomplete team and need to change our brand of football into a more physical style, to win against other playoff teams.

We need to play better defense (obvious to everyone), by more physical in the run game offensively, and develop a better short passing game to start winning more big games.

We're going to need to play defense and run the ball to win back-to-back playoff games in January.

TripleThreat 01-21-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 14060737)
End the bend but don't break strategy that gives up long 10+ drives.

Even if that strategy technically achieves its goal, in terms of keeping the opposing offense out of the end zone, it is ultimately failing the Chiefs by keeping Mahomes iced on the sideline.

The bend but don't break strategy works very well. The patriots have used it for the past 10+ years. It is all about what offense you are running on the other side of the ball

The patriots play WCO, wether people want to agree with it or not. They dink, dunk you to death and hit you hard with the deep ball from time to time. They control the game very well with their offense and defensive schemes together.

Our defensive scheme doesn't work when our offense has the ability to score in 20 seconds on any given drive.

gold_and_red 01-21-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

The worthless media is comparing him with Brady who started 10-0 in the playoffs thanks in large part to Belichick and those defenses. Take out Brady and what Mahomes has done in 19 starts easily eclipses Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, Peyton all first ballot HoFers.
There is only one Brady + Belichick combo. No one including Mahomes is expected to surpass those accomplishments.

kcclone 01-21-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14060898)
Fair or not, that’s just how it goes. If he doesn’t like it, he should consider taking less money on his next deal to help address other positions. It’s part of being the QB.

Great point about the money. Mahomes will have to decide if he wants to be the highest paid QB in the league, or set out to build a multi-Super Bowl career.

It's hard to do both. It's an unfortunate reality of how the leagues cap works.

T-post Tom 01-21-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleThreat (Post 14060901)
The bend but don't break strategy works very well. The patriots have used it for the past 10+ years. It is all about what offense you are running on the other side of the ball

The patriots play WCO, wether people want to agree with it or not. They dink, dunk you to death and hit you hard with the deep ball from time to time. They control the game very well with their offense and defensive schemes together.

Our defensive scheme doesn't work when our offense has the ability to score in 20 seconds on any given drive.

Pats' defense was ranked #21 in 2018. #29 in 2017. And that's playing in a crappy AFC East. The last two years were a success for them because of the offense. But I get your point about their defense being complimentary to what they do overall. BUT... Yesterday, their defense was NOT bend but don't break. And it wasn't vs. the Chargers either. Good job by them in 1st half. Not so great in 2nd half. I can't imagine Bob Sutton planning against the Chiefs' offense. That might result in an NBA scoring record.

jjchieffan 01-21-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14060773)
Well he cancered his way into a Super Bowl.

Lol. Well, he's on the team that made the Superbowl. I'm not sure how much he had to do with it. He wasn't really all that great this year. So I don't know what that has to do with anything besides a bunch of butthurt posters who still think that trading him was a mistake despite all of the evidence proving that it was the right move.

T-post Tom 01-21-2019 05:21 PM

Potential free agents I would like to see targeted:

1. Trey Flowers (DE)
2. Landon Collins (S)
3. Ronald Darby (CB)