ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life ***** All things Fitness ***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=341639)

penguinz 01-02-2022 08:51 AM

***** All things Fitness *****

2022 getting and staying fit thread!

penguinz 01-02-2022 08:52 AM

I enjoyed the holidays way too much. Can't wait to get back in the gym tomorrow!

Rasputin 01-02-2022 09:03 AM

Spoiler!

NSFW Go to the ****ing Gym

Bearcat 01-02-2022 09:17 AM

TRT TRT TRT TRT

loochy 01-02-2022 09:17 AM

I already worked out twice this year. Pull yesterday, legs today

Munson 01-02-2022 09:22 AM

Just posting in this thread helped me lose 10 lbs, and now my pant fits better!

Titty Meat 04-26-2022 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Exercising consistently not drinking nearly as much. Just gotta cut back the shitty snacks. Went to Costco Sunday here's what I've been enjoying this week

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-26-2022 04:08 PM

Have lost 15 pounds in a month. All about diet and exercise

Delano 04-26-2022 04:20 PM

Down 35 lbs since mid February. I’m right at 195. My goal is to hit 185 by the end of May.

July 2020 I was struggling with booze during the pandemic. Got up to 240. Lost 10 lbs quick but then hovered around 230 for about a year and a half while I got my shit together.

Since February I’ve been eating about 1200 calories a day and exercising 4 times a week. Lots of movement even on the non high intensity days.

I haven’t hit a plateau yet. After I hit 180 I’ll up the calories and work on adding muscle.

ModSocks 04-26-2022 05:11 PM

Working out and doing my best to not lose weight.

Did a double workout on Sunday. Hit the basketball courts with the homies followed by the football field. Fitbit says i burned about 900 cals between the two. Rested for about 2-3 hours and then did upper body with my wife, who wanted to workout. Yesterday was leg day.

Just recently invested in a battle rope and a new stand up Heavy Bag/Speed Bag rack.

Laughing to myself yesterday because i'm basically a goddamn groundhog. When spring rolls around and the time shifts towards longer days, i go into workout mode.

As soon as fall/winter hits and the days get short, i go into hibernation and rarely workout. I've been this way for the last decade+.

Neighbors must see me working out in the back and think, "oh it's that time of the year again".

Hammock Parties 04-26-2022 05:18 PM

man i ****ed up my left arm something fierce

for weeks now if i make a fist and flex my tricep it sends shooting pains down the back of my arm

i think i permanently ****ed up something in that arm

penguinz 04-26-2022 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16263425)
man i ****ed up my left arm something fierce

for weeks now if i make a fist and flex my tricep it sends shooting pains down the back of my arm

i think i permanently ****ed up something in that arm

Down to fingers? Get that checked out. That is how my herniated disc issues started. I thought I was having some tennis elbow issues from a shitty form workout day.

Two weeks later I couldn't move.

I doubt you have the same but just something to keep in mind if it progresses.

Hammock Parties 04-26-2022 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 16263434)
Down to fingers?

No, just down to the elbow. I know it's because I lifted too heavy one day.

Marcellus 04-26-2022 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16263458)
No, just down to the elbow. I know it's because I lifted too heavy one day.

Sounds like tricep tendon maybe. Give it some rest. Ice is a waste of time but heat might help.

ThaVirus 04-27-2022 08:18 AM

I've settled into a decent routine. I am currently in a slight deficit trying to burn some fat in my midsection after a botched bulk. 4 eggs for breakfast, a large fruit/veggie smoothie for lunch, and then dinner is just whatever is on the menu.

I mostly like the way I look and feel right now, though I am lighter and weaker than I was a year or two ago. I also don't look nearly as good in clothes due to losing so much mass. On the flip side, I look much better with my shirt off.

ThaVirus 04-27-2022 08:23 AM

I'm thinking it's probably about to stop the cut and incorporate some more protein/calories to regain some muscle.

I was rocking a 3-day split: chest and triceps, back and biceps, and legs. Since I'm taking rest days on the weekends, I felt like I just wasn't hitting legs enough. Many weeks I was only hitting them once.

I changed it up and am now just doing alternating days of legs and "upper body" so I'm hitting legs three times per week, every week.

I'll need the added protein and calories to grow.

Hammock Parties 04-27-2022 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16263469)
Sounds like tricep tendon maybe. Give it some rest. Ice is a waste of time but heat might help.

lol just googled some shit

i should basically not use this arm for 3 weeks :LOL:

philfree 04-27-2022 08:43 AM

I'm getting old (60) but I put myself through a 6 week work out program. I was doing my climber for cardio, some basic weight training, some exercises based on golf, some Super Speed training for golf, and then 5 weeks in a row I walked the cart path on the back 9 on Mondays when the course was closed. By the time it was over I had worked myself into some kind of a knot. I hurt my hip, took a bad step walking jamming my leg into my hip socket. It was brutal. It's taken me 6 weeks to get over it. I also gained a couple pounds although my cloths did fit better.

Shoes 04-27-2022 12:38 PM

Still chasing 1 rep max of 3 plate bench, 4 plate squat, 5 plate deadlift for 2022 goals.

Titty Meat 04-27-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16264184)
I'm thinking it's probably about to stop the cut and incorporate some more protein/calories to regain some muscle.

I was rocking a 3-day split: chest and triceps, back and biceps, and legs. Since I'm taking rest days on the weekends, I felt like I just wasn't hitting legs enough. Many weeks I was only hitting them once.

I changed it up and am now just doing alternating days of legs and "upper body" so I'm hitting legs three times per week, every week.

I'll need the added protein and calories to grow.

Upper/lower split is great

ThaVirus 04-27-2022 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 16264807)
Upper/lower split is great

I'm only like 3 weeks or so in so jury is still out, but thus far I am struggling for different reasons.

Firstly, hitting legs three times per week is a bit difficult. I've been running to and from the gym about a mile away so it's kind of overload. Some days I'll just have this nagging knee pain that prevents me from going as hard as I'd like. Even when there is no knee pain, one day of rest between heavy leg days just isn't enough. By the time it's leg day again, my thighs are deeply sore.

And on the other side, I find it difficult to cram all of my chest, triceps, biceps, etc. workouts in just two days per week.

Thankfully my upper body is overdeveloped compared to my lower body so I can afford to just maintain up top while I try to build down low but..

Idk. Those are my thoughts. Still early. It will prob just take some getting used to.

loochy 04-27-2022 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16264855)
I'm only like 3 weeks or so in so jury is still out, but thus far I am struggling for different reasons.

Firstly, hitting legs three times per week is a bit difficult. I've been running to and from the gym about a mile away so it's kind of overload. Some days I'll just have this nagging knee pain that prevents me from going as hard as I'd like. Even when there is no knee pain, one day of rest between heavy leg days just isn't enough. By the time it's leg day again, my thighs are deeply sore.

And on the other side, I find it difficult to cram all of my chest, triceps, biceps, etc. workouts in just two days per week.

Thankfully my upper body is overdeveloped compared to my lower body so I can afford to just maintain up top while I try to build down low but..

Idk. Those are my thoughts. Still early. It will prob just take some getting used to.

Working legs 3 times a week is too much, especially considering the excessively tiny amount of food you just mentioned you eat.

Bearcat 04-27-2022 01:56 PM

Started what was basically a beginner progressive overload bodyweight routine about 18 months ago after various failed attempts at working out... didn't do anything crazy nutrition-wise and had various hiccups in terms of consistency (plus 2 months out with a pinched nerve), but easily the most progress I've ever made. Feel like the numbers are pretty respectable for having never really taken it seriously before... got up to ~9-10 pull-ups, ~18-20 dips.

The routine started feeling stagnant, especially without having a great way to do weighted exercises at home, plus I had started doing less full body and a bit more focused exercises..... and ended up buying a cable machine.

It's definitely taken a home workout to the next level... I've done a decent amount of research on sets/reps per muscle group per workout and per week, and put together 3 workouts that are loosely upper focused, lower focused, and chest/back focused.... yet, each specific muscle group is worked out at least twice per week.

I've also been really consistent with walk/jogs a few times per week... felt like it took forever to get in cardio shape, but consistency was key (and the walk isn't easy as there are a couple of grueling hills and a couple other hills)... and it seriously helps with hiking.

I should probably go back to calorie counting and up the intake for the lifting I'm doing, but overall as long as I'm adding weight or reps each time around and don't plateau, I'm not all that concerned about it.

ModSocks 04-27-2022 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 16264982)
Started what was basically a beginner progressive overload bodyweight routine about 18 months ago after various failed attempts at working out... didn't do anything crazy nutrition-wise and had various hiccups in terms of consistency (plus 2 months out with a pinched nerve), but easily the most progress I've ever made. Feel like the numbers are pretty respectable for having never really taken it seriously before... got up to ~9-10 pull-ups, ~18-20 dips.

The routine started feeling stagnant, especially without having a great way to do weighted exercises at home, plus I had started doing less full body and a bit more focused exercises..... and ended up buying a cable machine.

It's definitely taken a home workout to the next level... I've done a decent amount of research on sets/reps per muscle group per workout and per week, and put together 3 workouts that are loosely upper focused, lower focused, and chest/back focused.... yet, each specific muscle group is worked out at least twice per week.

I've also been really consistent with walk/jogs a few times per week... felt like it took forever to get in cardio shape, but consistency was key (and the walk isn't easy as there are a couple of grueling hills and a couple other hills)... and it seriously helps with hiking.

I should probably go back to calorie counting and up the intake for the lifting I'm doing, but overall as long as I'm adding weight or reps each time around and don't plateau, I'm not all that concerned about it.

I use to be all nerdy about my workouts. Researched every damn thing to death, had my workouts pre-planned and printed on spread sheets etc.

I even named my shit for the lulz, "R90-XTREME BACK YARD FITNESS" LMAO

These days, @ 37 years old, i just don't give a **** like that anymore. Now i just do whatever i feel like. I workout 3-4 times a week for about an hour, with one of those workouts being a sport day at the park. No real particular goal in mind other than staying active and looking good for my age.

I find that i prefer my cardio to be sports related. I don't jog anymore.

My workouts look like:

1. Every workout starts with 20 mins of cardio as a warm up. I mostly do basketball dribble drills. Sprinting to the basket and jumping as high as i can for the layups. I try to get creative with the layups and make sure im leaping each time as high as i can.

I work a lot on my handles. Try to push myself to execute crossovers and dribbling between the legs as fast as i can. HELLA cardio. You're basically doing a series of lunges over and over. Leaves me pretty gassed and ready for some lifting. I also toss the football around with the boy. Nice little warm up. Gets the blood flowing.

2. Chest and Back.

Chest and back day consists of Bench Press, pushups, dumbell presses, several variations of pullups, bent over rows, lawnmowers. And then anything else i want to throw in there.

3. Leg day.

Leg day consists of Barbell Squats, several variations of wall squats, deadlifts, step ups, Groucho walks and various calf raises. This is also when i do abs.

4. Arm and Shoulder:

Arm and shoulder consists of Bench press, lateral raises, curls, shoulder shrugs, overhead dumbell shoulder press, chair dips and anything else i feel like throwing in that day.

5. Cardio

Assuming the homies aren't around to hit the field/bball court, then my cardio day consists of my Baskteball dribble drills, agility ladder drills, heavy bag, speed bag and battle rope.

It generally takes me about 1 to 1-1/4 hours to compete each workout.

Bearcat 04-27-2022 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16265380)
I use to be all nerdy about my workouts. Researched every damn thing to death, had my workouts pre-planned and printed on spread sheets etc.

I even named my shit for the lulz, "R90-XTREME BACK YARD FITNESS" LMAO

These days, @ 37 years old, i just don't give a **** like that anymore. Now i just do whatever i feel like. I workout 3-4 times a week for about an hour, with one of those workouts being a sport day at the park. No real particular goal in mind other than staying active and looking good for my age.

I find that i prefer my cardio to be sports related. I don't jog anymore.

Yeah, for all of the research you can do, there really is a simplicity to it.

I personally like Jeff Nippard's channel because instead of "tHiS iS kIlLiNg YoUr GaInZ" or "gEt BiGgEr BiCePts In TwO wEeKs" bro science, he mostly concentrates on simplifying things and showing the data.... and as most stuff online is for serious weight lifters, so much stuff online makes like a 3% difference if you want to split hairs.

Given all the nerding out, I'd say I haven't changed much in terms of nitpicking on what they say online... just meaning I do like the science behind it and what not, but won't make changes just because there's a video about doing/not doing something a certain way. There were times early on I'd watch something and want to research the hell out of it, but would remind myself in all the research by other people that's been done in the routine I was doing, which helped in not worrying about deep diving on every little thing.

The bodyweight fitness stuff was really straightforward progressions and my current routine is pretty basic outside of wanting to hit each group a couple times/week. I spent a little time putting it together (okay, it is printed out from a spreadsheet :D), but it comes down to mostly the same stuff... pushes and pulls.

Most of the research lately has centered around the new equipment and dumping some of the bodyweight stuff that I've grown tired of or didn't seem to be doing anything (core stuff mostly, which seems far better with the cable rack).

lewdog 04-27-2022 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16264855)

Upper/Lower can be done 4 days per week, so only need for legs twice in a week. Some also do Upper/Lower 3x per week so one workout each week floats to the next which has you do legs twice one week and then only once the next week, same with upper body. Legs three times a week is too much for anyone who isn't olympic lifting or powerlifting.

lewdog 05-02-2022 06:44 AM

Did a Doggcrapp training session today. Man those can be intense and fun. May run with this for a break from my upper/lower.

Marcellus 05-31-2022 03:29 PM

Anyone else do a MURPH this weekend? I hit 54:08 which was around my goal but I had to drop the weighted vest about 25% through the pullups. I was getting hot AF.

I was slow on my runs as well since I've been recovering from a hamstring tendon tear should be able to knock 3 minutes or more off just on that if I get back to usual.

Glad I did it, Ill try another later this summer after some work on it.

Coochie liquor 05-31-2022 04:28 PM

5 lbs and 28 days away from my yearly goal. 160 lbs when I leave for Jamaica. Running 4 miles in the morning, and 3 after work. Feel confident I’ll make it again. Meal replacement shake in the morning, 250 calorie lunch, and a normal dinner. Then I’ll overeat and overdrink for 10 days, lmao. Somehow I always seem to stay the same weight or even be a pound or 2 lighter after vacation. Probably cuz I do a lot more drinking than eating.

loochy 05-31-2022 06:01 PM

Do you guys wear shorts when you work out?

Coochie liquor 05-31-2022 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16315835)
Do you guys wear shorts when you work out?

Nekid bruh... nekid

penguinz 05-31-2022 06:38 PM

Still another 2-4 weeks before I can get back into the gym. Been way too long already.

SupDock 07-30-2022 09:02 AM

Buying my first rack next month. Any experience with titan? Looking to get the X3 flatfoot.

https://www.titan.fitness/racks/powe...RoC9AEQAvD_BwE

I like that it doesn’t need bolted, and has a relatively small footprint. Looked at Rogue and the shipping is just too much. Like 400 dollars plus the rogue premium. I hear that titan has really improved their quality control issues.

I am currently just using dumbbells and excited to start some Olympic lifts.

loochy 07-30-2022 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16388217)
Buying my first rack next month. Any experience with titan? Looking to get the X3 flatfoot.

https://www.titan.fitness/racks/powe...RoC9AEQAvD_BwE

I like that it doesn’t need bolted, and has a relatively small footprint. Looked at Rogue and the shipping is just too much. Like 400 dollars plus the rogue premium. I hear that titan has really improved their quality control issues.

I am currently just using dumbbells and excited to start some Olympic lifts.

I have the x3 flat foot. I bought it about 3 years ago. It's super solid. The only disadvantage is that several attachments don't fit the flat foot version.

I have a lot of titan stuff and I've never had any quality issues.

Ask me anything you need to know.

SupDock 09-03-2022 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16388454)
I have the x3 flat foot. I bought it about 3 years ago. It's super solid. The only disadvantage is that several attachments don't fit the flat foot version.

I have a lot of titan stuff and I've never had any quality issues.

Ask me anything you need to know.

Dang. Just saw you posted this. It is currently back ordered so it looks like I am waiting a month. I was hoping for a Labor Day sale, but the sale was really disappointing. Right now I am craigslisting iron plates while I am waiting. Plan on one pair of bumper plates for deadlifting. Do you use a landmine attachment?

I am planning on a landmine, maybe a pulley attachment but I may just buy a plate loaded pull down , maybe leg rollers to make a preacher curl station

Any favorite accessories you have?

I just got a cheap bar from Titan, plan on getting a rogue Ohio bar, but shipping really kills it. I will get one eventually and use the titan bar as a land mine bar or something

loochy 09-03-2022 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16443042)
Dang. Just saw you posted this. It is currently back ordered so it looks like I am waiting a month. I was hoping for a Labor Day sale, but the sale was really disappointing. Right now I am craigslisting iron plates while I am waiting. Plan on one pair of bumper plates for deadlifting. Do you use a landmine attachment?

I am planning on a landmine, maybe a pulley attachment but I may just buy a plate loaded pull down , maybe leg rollers to make a preacher curl station

Any favorite accessories you have?

I just got a cheap bar from Titan, plan on getting a rogue Ohio bar, but shipping really kills it. I will get one eventually and use the titan bar as a land mine bar or something

Yes I use a landmine that I picked up from Fringe Sport. It pins onto the rack so I can use it at any height. I just ordered the linebacker attachment yesterday and I'm excited to get that.

My favorite attachment is probably the dumbbell spotter stands. It helps a ton when doing heavy DB shoulder presses or benches.

I use an ironmaster bench and it has an awesome, super sturdy leg curl/extension attachment.

loochy 09-03-2022 01:23 PM

I severly tore my left lat while doing deadlifts a few weeks ago. About 70% if the fibers tore off from the humeral tendon. Because the muscle tore off the tendon there is no surgery that can fix it. I'll be lopsided and weak for the rest of my life... Its doubtful that I'll ever be able to do a pull up again.

Buehler445 09-03-2022 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16443118)
I severly tore my left lat while doing deadlifts a few weeks ago. About 70% if the fibers tore off from the humeral tendon. Because the muscle tore off the tendon there is no surgery that can fix it. I'll be lopsided and weak for the rest of my life... Its doubtful that I'll ever be able to do a pull up again.

Goddamn man. That sucks.

Titty Meat 09-03-2022 05:05 PM

Quote:

That's why we don't deadlift

loochy 09-03-2022 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 16443333)
That's why we don't deadlift

Oh, is THAT why?

Titty Meat 09-03-2022 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16443337)
Oh, is THAT why?

Yeah you and Penz are always pushing deadlifting and are always injured

SupDock 09-03-2022 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16443337)
Oh, is THAT why?

That is insane man. Sumo?

Also, would that DB attachment work with adjustable?

loochy 09-03-2022 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16443354)
That is insane man. Sumo?

Also, would that DB attachment work with adjustable?

Nah, it was conventional with a weight I could handle for about 8 reps...not super heavy. I went to pull up from the floor and I felt pop pop pop from the back of my shoulder.

It should work with anything. It's just some hex shaped cups that the DBs sit on. They work with my square ironmasters. They should fit anything round or hex shaped.

lewdog 09-05-2022 03:37 PM

Quote:

Loochy I really hope you aren't serious. This would be a disastrous injury. Have you had it fully checked out?

loochy 09-05-2022 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 16445158)
Loochy I really hope you aren't serious. This would be a disastrous injury. Have you had it fully checked out?

Yes. I got my MRI done and checked by a very reputable Ortho 4 days after. Nothing can be done.

When it happened I thought it was a fully detached teres major that surgery would take care of. Nope. I've been a bit depressed about it.

Titty Meat 09-05-2022 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16445230)
Yes. I got my MRI done and checked by a very reputable Ortho 4 days after. Nothing can be done.

When it happened I thought it was a fully detached teres major that surgery would take care of. Nope. I've been a bit depressed about it.

Will u be able to lift again?

scho63 09-05-2022 05:29 PM

Sadly, 2022 was a down year for my health.

scho63 09-05-2022 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16445230)

I hope you get a 2nd opinion and you get better.

Sorry to hear. :(

loochy 09-05-2022 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 16445247)
Will u be able to lift again?

Of course. I'm lifting now. It's just that side will be forever weak and small because I only have 1/3 of a muscle now. Right now I'm doing everything except pull down movements, deadlifts, and heavy rows. I can do moderate weight rowing motions now, but it's only to maintain flexibility and neural function. Doc said I can go harder after 6 weeks once the tendon area heals up and the loose torn muscle fibers start to "scar in".

I cant do barbell bench presses yet because of the the lat involvement in unracking the weight. Dumbbell presses are OK though. Some tricep movements are hard because of the lat involvement in required to keep the upper arm stationary.

In58men 09-05-2022 08:01 PM

***** All things Fitness 2022 *****

I recently starting lifting and man I was getting some decent definition on my back. Now I’m laid up with tennis elbow and gout. Tomorrow will be a week without lifting and I’m depressed about it lol. Give me some encouraging words my dudes.

Before my injuries I was @ 275 x 1 bench, 315 x 3 deadlifts and 255 x 1 on squats. Only taking BCAAs and creatine. Can’t have much protein bc of gout.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...20c23860e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SupDock 09-05-2022 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 16445400)
I recently starting lifting and man I was getting some decent definition on my back. Now I’m laid up with tennis elbow and gout. Tomorrow will be a week without lifting and I’m depressed about it lol. Give me some encouraging words my dudes.

Before my injuries I was @ 275 x 1 bench, 315 x 3 deadlifts and 255 x 1 on squats. Only taking BCAAs and creatine. Can’t have much protein bc of gout.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...20c23860e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good definition man

Bearcat 09-05-2022 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 16445400)
Now I’m laid up with tennis elbow a

It's ****ing annoying (of course, also far more minor than some of the shit in this thread)... tried resting mine for a while and didn't really help. Took a leftover steroid pack from a pinched nerve last year while icing and it helped a ton for that week, but is slowly back and seems more annoying now than ever.

Going to start a routine of grip strength and reverse curl exercises followed by icing a few times/day to see if it helps. :#

SupDock 09-05-2022 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 16445468)
It's ****ing annoying (of course, also far more minor than some of the shit in this thread)... tried resting mine for a while and didn't really help. Took a leftover steroid pack from a pinched nerve last year while icing and it helped a ton for that week, but is slowly back and seems more annoying now than ever.

Going to start a routine of grip strength and reverse curl exercises followed by icing a few times/day to see if it helps. :#

A counterforce brace can help too, if you aren’t using it already.

In58men 09-05-2022 09:04 PM

Quote:

It really is annoying, I’m still finding ways to do chest and shoulders without pain. I can’t lock my elbow.

Bearcat 09-05-2022 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16445472)
A counterforce brace can help too, if you aren’t using it already.

Purchasing one now, thanks! $15 is definitely worth a shot at this point.

lewdog 09-05-2022 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 16445480)
It really is annoying, I’m still finding ways to do chest and shoulders without pain. I can’t lock my elbow.

Only thing that works for me is very light but 30-50 rep pushdown sets before I begin any pushing workouts. I do 2-3 sets of these along with my normal shoulder "prehab" that takes about 10 minutes before I even begin lifting, any time I do upper body lifting.

In58men 09-05-2022 09:14 PM

***** All things Fitness 2022 *****

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 16445483)
Purchasing one now, thanks! $15 is definitely worth a shot at this point.

Yep, I have one. They really help with the pain. This is the one I have.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...fecf81a3c3.png

Bearcat 09-05-2022 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 16445491)
Yep, I have one. They really help with the pain. This is the one I have.

Thanks, that's the one I ordered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 16445490)
Only thing that works for me is very light but 30-50 rep pushdown sets before I begin any pushing workouts. I do 2-3 sets of these along with my normal shoulder "prehab" that takes about 10 minutes before I even begin lifting, any time I do upper body lifting.

I meant to ask you yesterday after you mentioned dealing with it, too... will see if this helps, too!

Buehler445 09-05-2022 09:36 PM

Quote:

No clue if this will help or not, but these 2 channels have helped me with some shit before. (Not tennis elbow)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4vk3i22z3Ko" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r7Arz53_f3c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bearcat 09-05-2022 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16445513)
No clue if this will help or not, but these 2 channels have helped me with some shit before. (Not tennis elbow)

Thanks, man. Pretty sure I watched that Athlean-X video a year ago when it was created, but didn't need it at the time... and he's probably 100% right in that it's the side lateral raise, as it's definitely a pain point.

Haven't seen DoctorJo videos before, but looks like good stuff, too.

You helped with the shin splints last year, which ended up being weak calves... started doing a lot of calf raises, which helped a ton. Thinking along those same lines now, probably just need to strengthen the area and hit on any imbalances. The Athlean-X videos touch on modifying routines, like the cheating side laterals, which really helps with my default laziness of letting it rest for weeks. :D

SupDock 09-05-2022 10:15 PM

My issue is my shoulders. Hoping it is just rotator cuff tendinitis, but things like incline curls are murder only my shoulders. Skullcrushers hurt too. I rehab them the best I can, but sleep tends to be where I get my exacerbations. Any time I accidentally sleep with my elbow above my head it is bad news.

I need to spend more time stretching. Ultimately I think it is my labrum, but not at all interested in surgery.

Things like lat pulls, shrugs, Arnold presses, upright rows are no problem for me.

Buehler445 09-05-2022 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 16445535)
Thanks, man. Pretty sure I watched that Athlean-X video a year ago when it was created, but didn't need it at the time... and he's probably 100% right in that it's the side lateral raise, as it's definitely a pain point.

Haven't seen DoctorJo videos before, but looks like good stuff, too.

You helped with the shin splints last year, which ended up being weak calves... started doing a lot of calf raises, which helped a ton. Thinking along those same lines now, probably just need to strengthen the area and hit on any imbalances. The Athlean-X videos touch on modifying routines, like the cheating side laterals, which really helps with my default laziness of letting it rest for weeks. :D

Any time man. That Athlean-X guy made one about IT band pain and it changed my life. Hopefully these help you. I’m glad your shin splints are better. Shin splints ****ing suck.

penguinz 09-06-2022 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16445544)
My issue is my shoulders. Hoping it is just rotator cuff tendinitis, but things like incline curls are murder only my shoulders. Skullcrushers hurt too. I rehab them the best I can, but sleep tends to be where I get my exacerbations. Any time I accidentally sleep with my elbow above my head it is bad news.

I need to spend more time stretching. Ultimately I think it is my labrum, but not at all interested in surgery.

Things like lat pulls, shrugs, Arnold presses, upright rows are no problem for me.

Everything you just described leans to AC joint not rotator cuff.

SupDock 09-06-2022 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 16445676)
Everything you just described leans to AC joint not rotator cuff.

I don’t know. I have no AC tenderness, no pain reaching across my body, no pain laying on my side. My most painful motion is elbow flexed to 90, shoulder flexed so the arm is parallell to the ground, then internally rotating.

That’s why my guess is labrum or RC

Bearcat 09-06-2022 08:30 AM

You guys probably know way more about it than I do, but youtube research has talked me out of upright rows (plus, for me, it's always felt kind of awkward)... I think Athlean-X dude has a video talking about avoiding strain/resistance with internal rotation.

penguinz 09-06-2022 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 16445754)
You guys probably know way more about it than I do, but youtube research has talked me out of upright rows (plus, for me, it's always felt kind of awkward)... I think Athlean-X dude has a video talking about avoiding strain/resistance with internal rotation.

Upright rows are fine as long as you don't go too high. Once the bar gets higher than nipple level you are getting into the 'danger' zone and can easily injur shoulders.

penguinz 09-06-2022 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16445717)
I don’t know. I have no AC tenderness, no pain reaching across my body, no pain laying on my side. My most painful motion is elbow flexed to 90, shoulder flexed so the arm is parallell to the ground, then internally rotating.

That’s why my guess is labrum or RC

Th elbow above head causing pain is a common symptom of AC. Do you ever feel/hear any popping when moving arm around?

loochy 09-06-2022 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 16445754)

Can you tell me what you are hoping to accomplish with upright rows that can't be accomplished more efficiently with other exercises? To me they seem rather pointless, especially if it's not something that feels right for you. Side delts? Do side raises. Front delts? Do front raises. Traps? Do shrugs.

SupDock 09-06-2022 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 16445797)
Th elbow above head causing pain is a common symptom of AC. Do you ever feel/hear any popping when moving arm around?

All the time. Mainly with external rotation with elbow flexed starting from internal rotation and 90 degrees shoulder flex ion. (Like a throwing motion but arm forward instead of abducted)

SupDock 09-06-2022 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16445798)
Can you tell me what you are hoping to accomplish with upright rows that can't be accomplished more efficiently with other exercises? To me they seem rather pointless, especially if it's not something that feels right for you. Side delts? Do side raises. Front delts? Do front raises. Traps? Do shrugs.

I find I don’t really need to work the anterior delt much, as you hit it with a lot of other motions (bench, overhead press)

I do my upright rows with dumbbell and my palms mostly face each other. I also don’t get my elbows above my head.

I have heard narrow grip with a barbell can be rough on the shoulders

penguinz 09-06-2022 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16445824)
I find I don’t really need to work the anterior delt much, as you hit it with a lot of other motions (bench, overhead press)

I do my upright rows with dumbbell and my palms mostly face each other. I also don’t get my elbows above my head.

I have heard narrow grip with a barbell can be rough on the shoulders

I rarely to uprights but when I do I either use the EZ Curl bar or use a rope on the cables.

Easier on joints than a straight barbell.

Bearcat 09-06-2022 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 16445791)
Upright rows are fine as long as you don't go too high. Once the bar gets higher than nipple level you are getting into the 'danger' zone and can easily injur shoulders.

Gotcha, I've heard a fee different things as far as bar/hand position or elbows not getting too high.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 16445798)

That's actually another reason I stopped doing them... there was a goof Nippard video about the most pointless exercises and that was one of them. And while I don't take much of what they say and immediately change my routine, between multiple pros having multiple reasons for not doing them and some shoulder awkwardness, I quit doing them.

SupDock 09-06-2022 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 16445836)
Gotcha, I've heard a fee different things as far as bar/hand position or elbows not getting too high.

That's actually another reason I stopped doing them... there was a goof Nippard video about the most pointless exercises and that was one of them. And while I don't take much of what they say and immediately change my routine, between multiple pros having multiple reasons for not doing them and some shoulder awkwardness, I quit doing them.

I love Jeff Nippard. Also like Ryan Humiston and Jeremy Ethier.
Athlean X is a a little click bait for me. “Everything is ruining your gains!!!!”

Bearcat 09-06-2022 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16445840)
I love Jeff Nippard. Also like Ryan Humiston and Jeremy Ethier.
Athlean X is a a little click bait for me. “Everything is ruining your gains!!!!”

Haven't heard of Humiston, but will check him out. I also follow Ethier and that one Baaahston guy.

And yeah, Athlean-X has a lot of clickbait headlines and will also sometimes criticize Nippard and others for the "workout smarter" mentality. I like his best/worst lists just for providing some things to think about in terms of simplifying workouts.

I've probably gotten the most from Nippard's research and some of Ethier's videos (he's been focusing a lot lately on chest, with a lot of pointers on getting the most from bench pressing without having your arms and shoulders doing all the work).

Aspengc8 09-06-2022 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16445824)

This is exactly what I do. lots of cable side lateral + rear delt work on any push focused days. I don't even military anymore, just super high incline with dumbells.

BigOlChiefsfan 09-06-2022 12:38 PM

This might not be everyone's cuppa tea, but I picked up a pair of old 'indian clubs' at a garage sale, went online and found that these things were real popular here in the US 100 years ago. Groups of folks would exercise with 'em together - there's even some footage of KC schoolchildren on here. Here's an into: https://www.artofmanliness.com/healt...club-training/ Her'es the kc kids https://www.pinterest.com/pin/141441244520516765/ Let me point out that if you want to read up on this stuff, limit yourself to 'indian club swinging' not 'indian swingers clubs'. Whole nother ballgame. I've used a pair of framing hammers to do these moves, you could whittle your own clubs out of firewood if you wanted. They're for sale online, of course, but the garage sale relics I use suit me fine. I did pay up to get a mace to 'move up' in weight a bit - once again, a slege hammer might already be in the garage and will work fine. https://www.artofmanliness.com/healt...workout-video/ I've managed to lose about 95 lbs of 'stop smoking cigarettes' weight that I put on 25 years ago and these clubs and some dumb bells were about all I really used for workouts. I did load 20 lbs of split peas into my backpack, and started going for long walks around the parks here in JoCo to burn off lbs. Worked pretty well. And I'm still here. That has to count for something.

loochy 09-06-2022 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan (Post 16446201)
This might not be everyone's cuppa tea, but I picked up a pair of old 'indian clubs' at a garage sale, went online and found that these things were real popular here in the US 100 years ago. Groups of folks would exercise with 'em together - there's even some footage of KC schoolchildren on here. Here's an into: https://www.artofmanliness.com/healt...club-training/ Her'es the kc kids https://www.pinterest.com/pin/141441244520516765/ Let me point out that if you want to read up on this stuff, limit yourself to 'indian club swinging' not 'indian swingers clubs'. Whole nother ballgame. I've used a pair of framing hammers to do these moves, you could whittle your own clubs out of firewood if you wanted. They're for sale online, of course, but the garage sale relics I use suit me fine. I did pay up to get a mace to 'move up' in weight a bit - once again, a slege hammer might already be in the garage and will work fine. https://www.artofmanliness.com/healt...workout-video/ I've managed to lose about 95 lbs of 'stop smoking cigarettes' weight that I put on 25 years ago and these clubs and some dumb bells were about all I really used for workouts. I did load 20 lbs of split peas into my backpack, and started going for long walks around the parks here in JoCo to burn off lbs. Worked pretty well. And I'm still here. That has to count for something.

Hell yeah dude! I remember the Iron Sheik used to use those!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/82gs4244U0E/maxresdefault.jpg

BigOlChiefsfan 09-06-2022 01:51 PM

Yep - we call them 'Indian Clubs' because the Brits ran across them while they were in India, but the Persians/Iranians were using 'em too. They're really good for swordsmen who fight on horseback and wrestlers - your shoulders and chest/torso gets a useful workout and you're more likely to whip your opponent. Well, I haven't been on a horse since about 3rd grade, but I've really found these things useful for what ails ME. My neck and shoulder muscles are stronger - and don't cause me quite as much grief as they used to. I'd get really tight shoulder muscle 'aches and pains' all the time. Using these things even 10 minutes a day seems to have fixed that. The big clubs like the Iron Shiek uses are called 'meels' and I haven't really worked my way up to 'em yet. Might not need to. The little clubs, a pair of framing hammers that I use like the little clubs and that 10 lb iron Mace seems like enough for my purposes. And a couple 3 or 4 kettlebells. Anyway - I see it as 'do something, even if it's not cool - do something that you CAN do and keep doing it'. Plus, who knows. We might have to go back to swordfighting on horseback. Anything could happen.

BigOlChiefsfan 09-08-2022 08:08 PM

I mentioned kettlebells above. I've used 'em for years - they sure helped me get my belt size smaller after I quit smoking. But not everybody has used 'em - they didn't have 'em available when I was falling down a lot (can't really cut it) gymnastics crew in High School. But I hope they do now. kB swings work a heckuva lot of muscles, easily, safely and in not much space. Turkish get ups? They're simple and danged effective.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...eed-to-do.html

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...sh-get-up.html

I always claimed I couldn't afford to join a gym - so I bought Kettlebells, dumb bells. that mace and my garage sale 'indian clubs'. The key is - use 'em on a pretty regular basis. In hot weather, I tend not to. But that excuse is fixin' to come to an end. I've been doing the indian clubs and some dumb bell work for a few weeks now. Down 95 lbs and trying to lose 5 more so I can be insufferable. "I lost 100 lbs, and in my opinion you should (do whatever I suggest)"

Titty Meat 09-08-2022 08:13 PM

Just went to the Chiefs Fit on the Plaza. They have a Jacob's Ladder is that just a cardio thing? Looks neat