ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Syfy: The Expanse (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283000)

Frazod 05-31-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12896057)
These guys write MUCH faster than GRRM. Read the books. The first three were excellent. I still need to read the next few.

EDIT:

Want to see how much NOT like GRRM these guys are? Check out the dates on each book.

Leviathan Wakes (June 15, 2011)
Caliban's War (June 26, 2012)
Abaddon's Gate (June 4, 2013)
Cibola Burn, (June 5, 2014)
Nemesis Games (June 2, 2015)
Babylon's Ashes (December 6, 2016)

**** GRRM for poisoning people's minds against picking up a new series.

I just ordered the first three. :thumb:

unlurking 05-31-2017 07:50 PM

Cool. I'm excited to re-read them!

Frazod 06-05-2017 10:43 PM

Started reading the first book. I'm only about 60 pages in, but damn, it's great. Beautifully written. Even though I know what's ultimately going to happen, I'm into it. Enjoying the little differences between the book and the show as well, and the lavish, but not overbearing, details that really make the story come alive.

keg in kc 06-06-2017 01:15 PM

You'll probably find that reading is going to change your perspective on certain characters and locations. In a good way. Some stuff you just can't do on a TV budget...

Frazod 06-06-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12904683)
You'll probably find that reading is going to change your perspective on certain characters and locations. In a good way. Some stuff you just can't do on a TV budget...

I have noticed after 100 or so pages that the characters in the show are more, for lack of a better word, severe, than in the book. The show seems to put more hard edges on characters and their relationships with others than the book does. I guess that's mainly done for dramatic effect.

I'm glad I watched the show first - otherwise, it might well have annoyed me.

keg in kc 06-06-2017 01:36 PM

Yeah. It took some getting used to.

Also you already know some things about the main characters' backgrounds that don't show up at all in print for another 3 or 4 books. But most of that makes sense for tv.

Frazod 06-07-2017 06:00 PM

This book just gets better and better. I'm about halfway through it now.

I was a little confused at first because Miller seemed so much more confident and competent in his job and abilities in the book than the show. The way that was all kicked to the curb was brutal, and the reader experiences it the way he does as a POV character.

Best thing I've read in years.

Frazod 06-08-2017 03:30 PM

Speaking of Syfy shows, Season 3 of Dark Matter starts tomorrow night. :thumb:

Miles 06-11-2017 01:52 AM

I really lost a lot of sleep from these books which are like crack. The worst was when I hit the point in the first book with Eros and maybe got an hour or two of sleep before work.

Frazod 06-11-2017 09:18 PM

Just finished the first book. On to the second one tomorrow. :thumb:

Frazod 06-13-2017 07:59 AM

At what point do the books pass beyond what's been in the show so far?

unlurking 06-13-2017 04:32 PM

Season 2 ends somewhere in the middle of Caliban's War. Been a few year's since I read it, so not sure exactly how far through it gets.

Frazod 06-13-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12915185)
Season 2 ends somewhere in the middle of Caliban's War. Been a few year's since I read it, so not sure exactly how far through it gets.

I'm about a quarter of the way through Caliban now. Overall the main story is the same, but the details are starting to diverge a great deal. They definitely mixed shit up to introduce key characters early, which is understandable when you realize the necessities involved in creating an episodic show.

But I'm fine with that. Keeps me on my toes. These books are wonderful.

unlurking 06-13-2017 05:30 PM

Since it's been a while for me, I don't notice a lot of the differences. I'd like to finish the reading the series, but I think I'm going to wait until the show is over.

Frazod 06-13-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12915253)
Since it's been a while for me, I don't notice a lot of the differences. I'd like to finish the reading the series, but I think I'm going to wait until the show is over.

There was a lot of shit in the show that just seems like filler now. The show delved deeper into Bobbi's relationship with her squad before the Ganymede incident. The book introduced her on Ganymede right before it happened. Also, in the show Prax evacuated Ganymede and then returned - there was one really ****ed up scene where the OPA guys spaced everybody who was from Earth or Mars, including his female friend, while he watched in horror. In the book, he meets up with Holden on the moon and never left. The couple running the freighter that they hijack so they can land isn't in the book, either; they were provided with a freighter by the OPA.

I guess those scenes do fill in some background on how the various groups feel about each other, but it seems a few lines of dialogue could have sufficed. Again, the needs of a series with budget constraints may have forced them to add shit and draw out the story. That makes perfect sense. And of course the show is so well done that I don't really mind it.