ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Smashburger (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243925)

keg in kc 04-14-2011 11:45 AM

I'm not much of a cheesesteak guy.

I haven't been to Quiznos for a long time. Used to like that place, too.

Sassy Squatch 04-14-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 7564151)
you are an idiot if you think RR is anywhere close to a McDonald's burger.

It must be a regional deal then. Im way up in NY so it might be better in MO. My main gripes are that for taht much money, the burgers really should be bigger. Service up here is non-existent, and for some reason its damn near impossible to get even 1 refill on the fries. Maybe I should go when it isn't a busy period,I know that the IHOP up here is the worst breakfast place around here, and that is really saying something. IHOP off of I-70 in Independence was always good, but up here its like a ghost town.

BigMeatballDave 04-14-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 7564220)
It must be a regional deal then. Im way up in NY so it might be better in MO. My main gripes are that for taht much money, the burgers really should be bigger. Service up here is non-existent, and for some reason its damn near impossible to get even 1 refill on the fries. Maybe I should go when it isn't a busy period,I know that the IHOP up here is the worst breakfast place around here, and that is really saying something. IHOP off of I-70 in Independence was always good, but up here its like a ghost town.

I think that particular restaurant is just under poor management.

BigMeatballDave 04-14-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7564206)

4 yrs ago, Quiznos was the shit. They suck now.

Sassy Squatch 04-14-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7564227)
I think that particular restaurant is just under poor management.

Must be. I never went to Red Robin in MO because BackYardBurgers was so much closer to where I lived.

Pants 04-14-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7564206)

Dang, that's too bad. I would literally eat PepperJax every day if I didn't give a damn about my body/health.

BigMeatballDave 04-14-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7564194)
I actually went to Culver's on Sunday night for the first time ever. I'm not a huge fan of the pancaked burgers. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? That's why I like Five Guys, their shit is so thick and juicy.

I've never had Culvers, so I cant comment, but I've had 5 guys. Smashburger's patties are just as thick as 5 Guys.

Pants 04-14-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7564248)
I've never had Culvers, so I cant comment, but I've had 5 guys. Smashburger's patties are just as thick as 5 Guys.

I've been to the one on 119th and Glenwood (by Starbucks) twice and it just didn't do it for me, man. I don't know.

Blick 04-14-2011 12:02 PM

I really want the Resist Temptation from So Long.

BigMeatballDave 04-14-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7564261)
I've been to the one on 119th and Glenwood (by Starbucks) twice and it just didn't do it for me, man. I don't know.

I'd imagine there are going to be subtle differences in these places across the country.

keg in kc 04-14-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7564261)

There's another one where Honeybaked Ham used to be around 119th and Strang Line, and I can't tell a difference between the two.

(I like them both...)

Garcia Bronco 04-14-2011 12:08 PM

Good joint, but way over-priced.

The Franchise 04-14-2011 12:09 PM

5 Guys is pretty overrated.

Pants 04-14-2011 12:11 PM

You know who has a surprisingly good burger? Old Chicago, man. Their mushroom swiss is freaking amazing. It drips enough juices when you bite it to fill up a freaking bucket.

BigMeatballDave 04-14-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 7564292)
5 Guys is pretty overrated.

If you think 5 Guys is overrated, then you think they are on a par with McDs, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.

Thats insane.

There isnt much difference between 5 Guys, Smashburger, and RR.

chiefsnorth 04-14-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7564194)
I actually went to Culver's on Sunday night for the first time ever. I'm not a huge fan of the pancaked burgers. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? That's why I like Five Guys, their shit is so thick and juicy.

Culver's isn't in the class of red robin or anything, it's better than fast food though. The real beauty is the cheap prices, expansive menu and the dessert options.

chiefsnorth 04-14-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 7564220)

That doesnt sound like a red robin at all, the burgers are pretty large. I doubt corporate is sending different stock and bun sizes and everything else to that one store

chiefsnorth 04-14-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7564278)
I'd imagine there are going to be subtle differences in these places across the country.

I think five guys is overrated too. Just another burger place in the "better than fast food" mold.

chiefsnorth 04-14-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7564301)
You know who has a surprisingly good burger? Old Chicago, man. Their mushroom swiss is freaking amazing. It drips enough juices when you bite it to fill up a freaking bucket.

Agreed. They have good food in general and a nice beer selection. Underrated

DJ's left nut 04-14-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 7562848)
They're pretty big burgers, I think, and you can add free refills on french fries to get a big, big win.

And if you pay an extra $1, you get them with garlic butter. And, being a fat person in a skinny body, I tend to ask for the waitress to bring some out ahead of the burger so I can munch on them before the burger gets there.

I love me some Red Robin, but there's no question that it's pretty overpriced.

As to the Culvers suggestion - that's one of the best chain burgers. Whataburger tops them, as does Braums, but Culver's makes a tasty burger.

Five Guys is good, but not amazing. It's right on par with the rest of the names above but some folks absolutely wet themselves over it - I don't get it.

Just Passin' By 04-14-2011 01:44 PM

They just opened up a 5 guys in my area. It was a big disappointment.

Saulbadguy 04-14-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7564301)

Their food is pretty decent. I get tired of it though, been there many, many times. (world beer tour)

Bugeater 04-14-2011 01:46 PM

I have a Culver's sourdough burger on my desk that I'm about to dig into...it looks pretty greasy. I was pretty underwhelmed by the cheese curds, they were a bit overcooked.

dirk digler 04-14-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsnorth (Post 7564503)
Culver's isn't in the class of red robin or anything, it's better than fast food though. The real beauty is the cheap prices, expansive menu and the dessert options.

My personal preference I would probably rather have Culver's than Red Robin or 5 guys.

Buddy Rich 04-14-2011 01:55 PM

Just beware of the Pink Slime in your burgers. It's everywhere.

Bugeater 04-14-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddy Rich (Post 7564545)
Just beware of the Pink Slime in your burgers. It's everywhere.

Heh...I didn't recognize your username and wondered why I had you on ignore, then I clicked 'view post' and realized why.

The Franchise 04-14-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7564334)
If you think 5 Guys is overrated, then you think they are on a par with McDs, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.

Thats insane.

There isnt much difference between 5 Guys, Smashburger, and RR.

I don't even view McDs, Wendys or Burger King as "burger joints". They're fast food and they get lumped in with all of the other fast food. I view 5 Guys as a "burger joint".

Just Passin' By 04-14-2011 02:10 PM

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Johnny Rockets, either pro or con, yet.

chiefsnorth 04-14-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 7564593)

I've never eaten at one here, but there is one in Cairo. Funny.

BigMeatballDave 04-14-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 7564593)

Never heard of them. There is one in Cincinnati. I'm gonna check them out this weekend. Thanks for the heads-up.

CHENZ A! 04-14-2011 03:15 PM

Smashburger was shitty when I had it. I very rarely order burgers when eating out. I just feel like I can make them much better at home. That said, In n Out is the truth, and five guys was actually pretty damn good too.

Saw someone mention Firehouse Subs earlier.. I've never eaten there, but they are doing a promotion where anytime the Chicago Fire loses youget a free sub with purchase of a drink and chips. They play tonight on espn2.

|Zach| 04-14-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7564234)
4 yrs ago, Quiznos was the shit. They suck now.

Yea, I have had that same experience.

|Zach| 04-14-2011 03:59 PM

I have only had Johnny Rockets on a cruise ship strangely enough...but...it was quite good. A special burger IMO.

keg in kc 04-14-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7564524)
I have a Culver's sourdough burger on my desk that I'm about to dig into...it looks pretty greasy. I was pretty underwhelmed by the cheese curds, they were a bit overcooked.

Sorry dude.

What can I say...everything's better in Olathe!

BigMeatballDave 04-14-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 7564921)
Yea, I have had that same experience.

What the hell happened to them?

I loved their Prime Rib Peppercorn. It was $10 for a footlong, but that thing was loaded with meat. It was tasty.

Bugeater 04-14-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7564939)
Sorry dude.

What can I say...everything's better in Olathe!

Oh hell, it's not your fault, I didn't expect them to live up to a real Wisconsin cheese curd anyway. The burger was pretty good so I'm going to try out another location sometime.

Stewie 04-14-2011 04:08 PM

With the way commodity prices are going I wonder who's going to pay $14 for a fast food lunch? I guarantee they'll look for shortcuts or have no customers.

|Zach| 04-14-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7564948)
What the hell happened to them?

I loved their Prime Rib Peppercorn. It was $10 for a footlong, but that thing was loaded with meat. It was tasty.

Yes, that was really really good. They also had a steak and blue cheese type salad that I liked a lot.

If I pop in there now I get a ham and cheese type sandwich with some broc + cheese soup which is still good but it just isn't the same.

keg in kc 04-14-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7564955)
Oh hell, it's not your fault, I didn't expect them to live up to a real Wisconsin cheese curd anyway. The burger was pretty good so I'm going to try out another location sometime.

Yeah, I go for the burgers, not the curds. Double bacon deluxe! :drool:

Oh, and if I'm being reeeeally bad, a Brownie Batter Concrete.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-14-2011 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7564515)
And if you pay an extra $1, you get them with garlic butter. And, being a fat person in a skinny body, I tend to ask for the waitress to bring some out ahead of the burger so I can munch on them before the burger gets there.

As to the Culvers suggestion - that's one of the best chain burgers. Whataburger tops them, as does Braums, but Culver's makes a tasty burger.

Five Guys is good, but not amazing. It's right on par with the rest of the names above but some folks absolutely wet themselves over it - I don't get it.

How is $9 for a large, restaurant style burger with a wide variety of special toppings and AYCE fries expensive?

I couldn't get out of Smashburger for that, and I get 2/3rds the food.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-14-2011 04:46 PM

I'm not a quiznos fan, but their new(er) chipotle prime rib is delicious.

Titty Meat 04-14-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 7563082)
They are not bad. I always have a good experience at WFM but before seem to go gah gah about it being the best burger in town. No way.

I am a fan of Town Topic. Double cheese with an egg on top.

You ever had Chubbys?

Pants 04-14-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 7565056)
I'm not a quiznos fan, but their new(er) chipotle prime rib is delicious.

I'm a fan of hot sandwiches, man, and their toasted subs are all freaking money.

DrRyan 04-14-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 7562766)
For me it goes:
In n out

5 guys

I onlyhad in n out twice and it is by far the best fast food burger I've had

Double Double animal style FTW!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7562852)
Hey now I like WFM burgers. Though I think the best ones I have had in KC is at Town Topic. I definitely recommend going there and trying it out.

Make sure you have your piece on you if you go to Town Topic after dark though. :)

CHENZ A! 04-14-2011 08:20 PM

Town Topic is horrible IMO, and it's damn hard to make something taste bad to a person that is drunk and high at 3:30AM. I'd rather wait in line at Panchos down the street than eat that shit.

CHENZ A! 04-14-2011 08:22 PM

And I'm dead serious, why the **** can't we get a damn White Castle open late night in KC? I'll have the cab driver roll me through there and pick up a suitcase every Saturday night.

|Zach| 04-14-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 7565067)
You ever had Chubbys?

Yea, a couple times. It has never been bad but never been good. I generally don't go but if a late night swings that way they have a decent burger.

Titty Meat 04-14-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 7565166)
Double Double animal style FTW!

Make sure you have your piece on you if you go to Town Topic after dark though. :)

Thats not a bad part of town at all.

|Zach| 04-14-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 7565166)

Nah.

KCUnited 04-14-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 7565741)
And I'm dead serious, why the **** can't we get a damn White Castle open late night in KC? I'll have the cab driver roll me through there and pick up a suitcase every Saturday night.

I haven't seen a White Castle in KC since the one on Linwood and Gillham became a Churches.

chiefsnorth 04-14-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 7565741)

You think town topic sucks and you want a white castle? I wouldn't feed that garbage to a dog. Even though that greasy paste they thinly brush on a "bun" (dinner roll) might be graded for dog food, I still wouldnt do that to any animal I cared about.

CHENZ A! 04-14-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 7565788)
I haven't seen a White Castle in KC since the one on Linwood and Gillham became a Churches.

There was one on 87th and Metcalf when I was a kid. Pops and I would go grab some sliders then take em home and watch the game. Good times.

CHENZ A! 04-14-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsnorth (Post 7565790)
You think town topic sucks and you want a white castle? I wouldn't feed that garbage to a dog. Even though that greasy paste they thinly brush on a "bun" (dinner roll) might be graded for dog food, I still wouldnt do that to any animal I cared about.

That is definitely a place that you either LOVE or HATE. Some people hate Arthur Bryant's because it has a distinct flavor.

QuikSsurfer 04-14-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7562535)
Yeah, WTF is up with that? This is why Steak/Shake and Winsteads burgers ****ing suck.

I miss the **** out of Winsteads' limeaids... Their burgers hit the spot, when I was grownin up.

Raiderhater58 04-15-2011 02:13 AM

Firehouse Subs Meatball Sub is AWESOME!!

JOhn 04-15-2011 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 7565803)
That is definitely a place that you either LOVE or HATE. Some people hate Arthur Bryant's because it has a distinct flavor.

Bryant's is DA BOMB!!!!

NewChief 04-15-2011 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7564515)

That's crazy that you list Braum's if it's the same Braum's we have here (sells ice cream and groceries and stuff as well?). It's not very popular around here. I don't mind their food, and I eat their ice cream with the kids regularly (it's cheap). No one around here gives their burgers much love, though. I may have to try them again (my wife and I have actually speculated that Braum's might become trendy again, but they need to update their store image).

CHENZ A! 04-15-2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOhn (Post 7566291)
Bryant's is DA BOMB!!!!

To me it's the best BBQ in the world hands down.

blaise 04-15-2011 06:23 AM

Red Robin is good, but it's a bit expensive, plus there's a waitress so you have to add a tip. I like their fries. Culvers is good, especially if you want somewhere you can eat with your kids.
They're opening In n Out in the Dallas area. One is opening just a few miles from my house in Frisco, TX. So, maybe they'll move up to KC someday. I'm going to try it to see if it's as good as people say, or if people from the west coast just hype it up because they know midwesterners can't get it.

Pants 04-15-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 7565817)
I miss the **** out of Winsteads' limeaids... Their burgers hit the spot, when I was grownin up.

Yeah, the limeade is the best thing about Winstead's. Truly a work of art.

Saulbadguy 04-15-2011 08:49 AM

Red Robin is good, but it is ****ing annoying. It's full of bullshit for kids. On Sundays sometimes they have a fat, disgusting sweaty slob dressed as a clown walking around making balloon animals (have seen this in separate RR locations).

Five Guys is good, but people think it is better than it really is, so it's really ****ing crowded, and you have to sit next to morons and pigs. Their burgers are simple but good, and their fries are divine.

I would like a burger restaurant that had some semblance of an atmosphere, decent beer on tap, and the same quality of food as both Five Guys and RR.

Pants 04-15-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chet Steadman (Post 7566656)
Red Robin is good, but it is ****ing annoying. It's full of bullshit for kids. On Sundays sometimes they have a fat, disgusting sweaty slob dressed as a clown walking around making balloon animals (have seen this in separate RR locations).

Five Guys is good, but people think it is better than it really is, so it's really ****ing crowded, and you have to sit next to morons and pigs. Their burgers are simple but good, and their fries are divine.

I would like a burger restaurant that had some semblance of an atmosphere, decent beer on tap, and the same quality of food as both Five Guys and RR.

Something like Henry T's?

Saulbadguy 04-15-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 7566705)
Something like Henry T's?

Henry T's does not specialize in burgers.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-15-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chet Steadman (Post 7566713)
Henry T's does not specialize in burgers.

I'd have to say that while that is not all they serve, that is what they appear to favor. The menu has about a dozen burger options.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-15-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Have you tried the Burger Stand in Lawrence?

blaise 04-15-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

I hate the balloon guy at places. They come up to your table all dressed up, and your kids think "Hey a balloon animal!" Well, I don't want to pay some guy to stand at my table and make balloons, and I don't want to tip him. So, I tell him no, and then it's like I'm telling my kid he's not getting something he thought he was getting a minute ago. Not that my kids get upset when I say no, but I don't want to deal with it when I'm at a meal. Don't sell to my kids.

Pants 04-15-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 7566741)

Where's that at? Is it a new place?

Saulbadguy 04-15-2011 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 7566741)

Don't make it to Lawrence much, no reason to go there really.

MOhillbilly 04-15-2011 09:39 AM

Taylors.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-15-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chet Steadman (Post 7566789)
Don't make it to Lawrence much, no reason to go there really.

It's worth the drive sometime...

http://thecasbahburgerstand.com/Menu.html

Saulbadguy 04-15-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 7567002)
It's worth the drive sometime...

http://thecasbahburgerstand.com/Menu.html

I believe the owner is opening one here in the College Hill area...or did that fall through already?

mikeyis4dcats. 04-15-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chet Steadman (Post 7567042)
I believe the owner is opening one here in the College Hill area...or did that fall through already?

If you read between the lines, that was an "option" on the space , i.e. help me drum up some buzz and maybe ill take some money off next months rent in lawrence. College hill is on life support.

Bewbies 07-11-2011 03:38 PM

Smashburger just opened in Atlanta, heading there for dinner tonight. Interested to see how they stack up to Five Guys and US Cafe down here.

Bewbies 07-11-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhater58 (Post 7566209)
Firehouse Subs Meatball Sub is AWESOME!!

Firehouse Subs is awesome, but my favorite thing there right now is the cherry limeaid. YUUUUUMMMMMM!

BigMeatballDave 07-11-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 7742316)
Smashburger just opened in Atlanta, heading there for dinner tonight. Interested to see how they stack up to Five Guys and US Cafe down here.

Get the sweet potato fries.

Simply Red 07-11-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 7742316)

You need to try Yeah Burger still - in 'The Highlands'

vailpass 07-11-2011 04:07 PM

Funny. Some of you get all excited over a chain opening up. Where I am we have every conceivable chain store known to man and I could give a crap about any of them.
But I'd kill to have some of the independent eateries and bars you guys have all over the place.

DeezNutz 07-11-2011 04:23 PM

Not good. Not impressed.

jiveturkey 07-11-2011 04:31 PM

Smashburgers are always dry. Give me a grease soaked 5 Guy.

BRGR has some good stuff.

Paul's, Hi Boy and Winsteads are also regular burger stops for me.

There's also a place up North that I hit every now and then but I can't remember the name.

Simply Red 07-11-2011 04:34 PM

http://www.yeahburger.com/