ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Athletes speaking out on issues (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=209736)

mfkrush 06-30-2009 12:49 AM

Athletes speaking out on issues

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...g-with-america

I read this article and itt got me thinking. It could generate some good discussion.

Should athletes speak out on touchy/political issues? Sure they can bring attention to the matter, but is it their place? Should we value their opinion?

Also should the USA be the big brother to all countries?

Reaper16 06-30-2009 12:54 AM

BEEN STANDIN AROUND SUCKIN ON MY BIG OL' CHILI DOG

greg63 06-30-2009 01:02 AM

They're entitled to their oppinions as well as anyone else.

CoMoChief 06-30-2009 02:29 AM

What are they not US citizens too?

of course they are entitled to their own opinion.

But having that said since they have access to media outlets I dont think they should take advantage of that, hence pulling a Julia Roberts or Dixie Chicks saying they are embarassed to live in a country led by George W Bush and using the TV and media to preach their bullshit when most people in Hollywood havent been properly educated.

Leave the political debating up to the people that cover that shit like news networks and talk radio.

Mile High Mania 06-30-2009 04:18 AM

Well, it is a country that gives them the right to free speech and they can use their access to the press to do good things if they choose. Sure, some may choose to ignore that opportunity and it's fine, while other may use this as their way to reach people for a particular cause.

There's no reason they shouldn't be allowed to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 5871950)

Leave the political debating up to the people that cover that shit like news networks and talk radio.

Enh, I dunno... most of those people are so biased anyway with an obvious agenda. They're no better in some cases than a pro athlete...

I think that if someone in the media is so well versed and is an expert in a given area, they should quit flappin' their gums about it and throw their hat into the ring... run for office.

Adept Havelock 06-30-2009 06:57 AM

Sure, why not?

We're free to pay attention to or ignore them, whichever we choose.

BigVE 06-30-2009 07:02 AM

They have every right to or not to. Some get chastised for not taking a stand while others get berated for being too opinionated. To me the idiots are the ones who believe everything a celeb says just because they are a celeb, as if it carries more weight than some other schmuck down the road with a big ego and a big mouth.

CoMoChief 06-30-2009 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 5871957)
Well, it is a country that gives them the right to free speech and they can use their access to the press to do good things if they choose. Sure, some may choose to ignore that opportunity and it's fine, while other may use this as their way to reach people for a particular cause.

There's no reason they shouldn't be allowed to do it.

Enh, I dunno... most of those people are so biased anyway with an obvious agenda. They're no better in some cases than a pro athlete...

I think that if someone in the media is so well versed and is an expert in a given area, they should quit flappin' their gums about it and throw their hat into the ring... run for office.

I understand that, but they're gonna be biased anyway whether we like it or not. But at least they are (mostly) well educated on the subject, unless like most in Hollywood who get in front of a TV camera and promote bullshit politics which they have no point in doing.

Mile High Mania 06-30-2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 5872022)
I understand that, but they're gonna be biased anyway whether we like it or not. But at least they are (mostly) well educated on the subject, unless like most in Hollywood who get in front of a TV camera and promote bullshit politics which they have no point in doing.

Well, everyone has an opinion... if you had the ability to express your thoughts and push an agenda of your own to the masses, using the media ... would you not do it?

If you think you're helping others, I'm sure you would - everyone should. Yes, some are media whores, but that's the price you pay for the freedom of speech.

Slainte 06-30-2009 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 5871950)
What are they not US citizens too?

of course they are entitled to their own opinion.

But having that said since they have access to media outlets I dont think they should take advantage of that, hence pulling a Julia Roberts or Dixie Chicks saying they are embarassed to live in a country led by George W Bush and using the TV and media to preach their bullshit when most people in Hollywood havent been properly educated.

Ahhhh! So it's, "Speak out!.....unless you have political opinions, of course."

morphius 06-30-2009 07:28 AM

I don't mind that they share their opinions, I'm more surprised anyone listens.

blaise 06-30-2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 5872053)
I don't mind that they share their opinions, I'm more surprised anyone listens.

Exactly. Say what you want, and I'll continue not caring.

CoMoChief 06-30-2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Town'NCountryChief (Post 5872037)
Ahhhh! So it's, "Speak out!.....unless you have political opinions, of course."

I think you completely missed my point.

There's a time and a place to make your point. If you're an athlete, making your point in a press conference or something sports related that allows you to be on TV isn't necessary at all. Keep that shit to yourself.

Slainte 06-30-2009 07:50 AM

OIC.