ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How many times have you heard a football organization say they are cashed out? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=101707)

The Bad Guy 10-19-2004 01:50 PM

How many times have you heard a football organization say they are cashed out?

I was thinking today about this "we can't afford anyone, we are cashed out" company line that Vermeil, Peterson and everyone else has fed us.

How is this going to change for next year? Every player besides Wesley is under contract for next year. If the Chiefs are cashed out now, then conventional wisdom says they will be next year as well when Trent, Priest, Gonzalez, Roaf and Morton are do substanical pay increases.

It's disheartening to think that Jack Harry may be right that the window of this team is closed.

I've never heard an organization say we have no more money to spend on upgrades.

It's sad to say, but this team deserves to be 1-4 right now when they can't manage the draft, their money, and the free agent moves they do make turn out to be garbage.

The 3 free agents they brought in last year are awful. Barber, McCleon and Holliday all should be cut after this season.

Sure-Oz 10-19-2004 01:51 PM

It sucks to be chiefs fans right now. I love how everyone in our division has improved and tried to but us. Raiders don't count on that but still.

KCTitus 10-19-2004 01:59 PM

I really only pay attention to the front office of one team, so I would say I have no idea what other teams say.

I did hear CP once this year talk about that and mentioned that they seem to only be able to do it every other year, which gave me the impression that they would try to do some things next year. Not exactly comforting for this year, however.

Ultra Peanut 10-19-2004 02:02 PM

I'm honestly beginning to think we're doomed to a Bengals/Cardinals-like franchise for the next ten years.

Rausch 10-19-2004 02:02 PM

I disagree on Barber, but the rest is pretty much dead on...

Soupnazi 10-19-2004 02:06 PM

It pains me to say it, but this team won't win a championship until Lamar Hunt is gone.

KCTitus 10-19-2004 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soupnazi
It pains me to say it, but this team won't win a championship until Lamar Hunt is gone.

I come to this realization about 6 years ago...

KCTitus 10-19-2004 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENDelt260
Yeesh... what kept ya watchin, then?

Because the moment I say 'fuck it, I give up', that's the same year they go and win it all.

tk13 10-19-2004 02:16 PM

I've heard Jim Irsay of the Colts say it 21388921643 times this offseason, well maybe not the words "cashed out", but that it's become very difficult to be able to compete financially.

I think we'll be active in the FA market this offseason... don't ask for a zillion reasons, I just do.

Skip Towne 10-19-2004 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus
I come to this realization about 6 years ago...

I'm going to figure this out next year.

KCTitus 10-19-2004 02:18 PM

Quote:

Well, then... for the sake of the rest of us, would you PLEASE say, "fuck it. I give up."?

C'mon, take one for the team, here.

LOL...

No way, man!

jAZ 10-19-2004 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy
How is this going to change for next year? Every player besides Wesley is under contract for next year. If the Chiefs are cashed out now, then conventional wisdom says they will be next year as well when Trent, Priest, Gonzalez, Roaf and Morton are do substanical pay increases.

You are missing the key component. Large signing bonuses were paid last year. Not so much this year. The NFL standard is to spend large cash chunks in alternate seasons.

Expect a good FA offseason coming up.

Mr. Laz 10-19-2004 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy
How many times have you heard a football organization say they are cashed out?.

never...

i've heard them say that we need stadium improvement to stay competitive etc.

but since the current financial setup in football i dont recall ever hearing it.

it's complete bullchit IMO ... everything i have ever heard was that the chiefs make between 15-30 million dollars in profit every year.

EVEN when the chiefs paid out the big bonuses to Green,Gonzo etc they made a profit.

i think Lamar uses chiefs profits to keep his soccer stuff going

KCTitus 10-19-2004 02:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks a lot, jerkface.

See if I ever jump on a grenade for you.

I'd just push you over it in your stupor ;)

BigRedChief 10-19-2004 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jAZ
Expect a good FA offseason coming up.

:bong:Put down the crack pipe. :LOL:

Have you looked at the list of FA that King Carl has brought in here? Theres a thread on the front page that has the list. It ain't pretty. but some how he will get it done next year...Don't hold your breath. :shake: