ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Should NFL Teams know what the "grade" of officials are calling their games? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=170946)

a1na2 09-26-2007 08:35 PM

Should NFL Teams know what the "grade" of officials are calling their games?

I'm watching HBO's Inside the NFL, they have just shown a piece that indicates that all of the officials are graded for their performance. Should that grade be public knowledge, or at least given to the teams so they know what kind of quality they can expect in their games?

Secondly, how is it that the Chiefs seem to always get the shitty officials for just about every game they play? Is it a given that the NFL assigns the worst officials to the Chiefs?

RealSNR 09-26-2007 08:56 PM

The Chiefs are on a rotation of officials. If we get a bad one for one week, we'll have a better one for the next week. The same applies to all teams.

It would be worthless knowledge to know a grade of an official. They all make some good calls, and they all make mistakes. There's no avoiding it.

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-26-2007 08:56 PM

It's not that the Chiefs only get shitty refs, it's that nearly all the refs are shitty and allow themselves to get influenced by outside agencies far too much.

Deberg_1990 09-26-2007 10:26 PM

What id like to know is, if these guys are held accountable or not for bad calls??

Or does the NFL and the head of officiating just strug it off like: "Oh well, everybody makes bad calls, better luck next time"

There should be more harsh repercussions for bad games.

Valiant 09-26-2007 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
What id like to know is, if these guys are held accountable or not for bad calls??

Or does the NFL and the head of officiating just strug it off like: "Oh well, everybody makes bad calls, better luck next time"

There should be more harsh repercussions for bad games.

I believe they do not get bonuses as in no playoffs or probowl games if they are horrible.. Other then that I do not think they get reprimanded..

IMO they should get fines for really bad calls, ones where the NFL has to apologize for later.. NFL refs make a good chunk of change so fining them for really ****ing up should be fair.. Say no more then 25% of their total in a year if they are habitually bad..

ChiefsLV 09-26-2007 11:03 PM

I don't mind as much the bad calls that refs make. They are human and sometimes have to watch out for multiple things whilst watching a game that is moving 100 mph. What absolutely kills me though is when the ref has a replay right there in front of him and up-holds the call. Case in point, the Mario Williams fumble return and the Viking TE TD catch. One was for us and one against but both should have been overturned with the visual evidence.

KCChiefsMan 09-27-2007 02:23 AM

the main thing that bothers me is the review. Sometimes plays stand or are overturned and everyone can clearly see that they are wrong after they reviewed it.

007 09-27-2007 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant
I believe they do not get bonuses as in no playoffs or probowl games if they are horrible.. Other then that I do not think they get reprimanded..

IMO they should get fines for really bad calls, ones where the NFL has to apologize for later.. NFL refs make a good chunk of change so fining them for really ****ing up should be fair.. Say no more then 25% of their total in a year if they are habitually bad..

Considering they DO make the officiating mistake public, I think there should be a fine to the official. Considering there is not right now, I would rather NOT know about the mistake. Especially since it will only piss me off that it was not called correctly in the first place.

JohninGpt 09-27-2007 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru
Considering they DO make the officiating mistake public, I think there should be a fine to the official. Considering there is not right now, I would rather NOT know about the mistake. Especially since it will only piss me off that it was not called correctly in the first place.

I dunno, fining an official for a blown call would be like fining a receiver for dropping a pass. The refs don't intentionally blow calls, but they are human and will make mistakes.
I do think they're performance should be evaluated, and if it sinks to a certain level they should be canned.

Chiefnj2 09-27-2007 07:21 AM

Stats are readily available. Some teams of refs are known for calling holding penalties, etc.

Footballoutsiders.com used to have a bunch of stats.

For instance:

"Over the past three years, Hochuli’s crew has called 193 false-start penalties, while Jeff Triplette’s crew has called only 95, despite the same number of games. On the other hand, Triplette led the league in calling defensive pass interference two of the past three seasons, and is annually among the leaders in calling offensive holding."

headsnap 09-27-2007 07:26 AM

the answer is Full-Time Officials!!!!

not Full-Time Lawyer, Full-Time Bodybuilder, Part-Time Official Officials!!!