ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   WTF? - Navy Barracks Resembles a Swastika (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=170964)

Lzen 09-27-2007 08:02 AM

WTF? - Navy Barracks Resembles a Swastika

Navy to Modify Barracks Complex That Resembles a Swastika From Air

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Navy to modify the appearance of a Coronado barracks complex that resembles a swastika from the air.

CORONADO, Calif. — The Navy will spend as much as $600,000 to modify a 40-year-old barracks complex that resembles a swastika from the air, a gaffe that went largely unnoticed before satellite images became easily accessible on the Internet.

The Navy said officials noted the buildings' shape after the groundbreaking in 1967 but decided against changing it at the time because it wasn't obvious from the ground. Aerial photos made available on Google Earth in recent years have since revealed the buildings' shape to a wide audience.

The Navy approved the money to change the walkways, landscaping and rooftop solar panels of the four L-shaped barracks, used by members of the Naval Construction Force at the Navy's amphibious base at Coronado, near San Diego.

"We don't want to be associated with something as symbolic and hateful as a swastika," Scott Sutherland, deputy public affairs officer for Navy Region Southwest, told the Los Angeles Times.

Online commentators remarked widely about the buildings' resemblance to the Nazi symbol.

Dave vonKleist, host of "The Power Hour," a Missouri-based radio-talk show, said he wrote to military officials calling for action.

"I'm concerned about symbolism," he said. "This is not the type of message America needs to be sending to the world."

The Navy decided to alter the buildings' shape following requests this year by Anti-Defamation League regional director Morris Casuto and U.S. Rep. Susan Davis.

"I don't ascribe any intentionally evil motives to this," Casuto said of the design. "It just happened. The Navy has been very good about recognizing the problem. The issue is over."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298165,00.html

Lzen 09-27-2007 08:02 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/images/309916...y_barracks.jpg

Eleazar 09-27-2007 08:05 AM

The government will fix this, at the cost of tens of millions of taxpayer dollars no doubt. But at least no one looking for it on google earth will be offended. A small price to pay.

Kylo Ren 09-27-2007 08:06 AM

"The Navy said officials noted the buildings' shape after the groundbreaking in 1967........"

Did they not have blueprints before they built it? How could they not know until the groundbreaking?

Rooster 09-27-2007 08:06 AM

Whoooops.

carlos3652 09-27-2007 08:06 AM

The Original Meaning

The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.

RP_McMurphy 09-27-2007 08:06 AM

Well the Navy certainly got one pulled on them by the designers of these buildings. What the heck was Naval Facilities doing? They are paid money to catch junk like this.

Lzen 09-27-2007 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
The government will fix this, at the cost of tens of millions of taxpayer dollars no doubt. But at least no one looking for it on google earth will be offended. A small price to pay.

The article says they will spend up to $600,000. Unfortunately, I think they have to fix this despite the cost.

gblowfish 09-27-2007 08:38 AM

Maybe Fox News could buy it and make it their HQ.

:rolleyes:

Extra Point 09-27-2007 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise

Agreed!

DaKCMan AP 09-27-2007 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen
The article says they will spend up to $600,000. Unfortunately, I think they have to fix this despite the cost.

We've spent billions upon billions on more frivolous matters. Just don't give the contract to Haliburton. :D

Dr. Johnny Fever 09-27-2007 09:02 AM

stupid all the way around.

Duck Dog 09-27-2007 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlos3652
The Original Meaning

The word "swastika" comes from the Sanskrit svastika - "su" meaning "good," "asti" meaning "to be," and "ka" as a suffix.

Until the Nazis used this symbol, the swastika was used by many cultures throughout the past 3,000 years to represent life, sun, power, strength, and good luck.

True in some Korean cultures, especially with young "hip" teens who tattoo it on their hands. First time I saw one it was on a girl in a club. I was like WTF?

Frazod 09-27-2007 09:17 AM

Our tax dollars at waste. YAAAAAAAAAAAY :shake:

Phobia 09-27-2007 09:24 AM

I sure feel better about them fixing it now but I need reparations for the last 40 years I didn't know about it. Somebody must pay.