ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Big 10 Report: Conference Realignment (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=227561)

Mr. Laz 04-30-2010 08:41 PM

Big 10 Report: Conference Realignment

A source in St. Louis familiar with the situation told NewsCenter 16 Thursday afternoon that Missouri will leave the Big XII and soon join the Big 10. Other schools expected to follow the Tigers are Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers and Nebraska.

Many have speculated that such an expansion would include Notre Dame but ND athletic director Jack Swarbrick told me today that the Irish prefer to stay independent in football and in the Big East for other sports. Swarbrick said maintaining football Independence is such a part of what Notre Dame is.

<!-- $cms.websiteSection.disableStory --> He went on to say the Big East is a great partner for the University in other sports.

"We do have to monitor what is going on," Swarbrick said. "There will be significant shifts. "Hopefully we can navigate them by keeping our football independent and keeping our Big East affiliation because that is what we care about."

The move of Syracuse, Pitt and Rutgers to the Big Ten from the Big East could categorically change the landscape of the Big East itself. Thus, what Swarbrick is referring to when stating the University must continue to monitor what is going on.

The interview with Swarbrick was done before the late afternoon announcement.

http://www.wndu.com/sports/headlines/92447574.html

007 04-30-2010 08:43 PM

So is the Big 10 becoming the Big 17 now?

BWillie 04-30-2010 08:44 PM

I blame Notre Dame for the demise of the Big 12. I say Kansas just plays an an independent in basketball, and who the fuck cares in football. Can't wait till Colorado goes to the Pac 10 and we have to bring in Rice, TCU, and Memphis. That will be terrible. No BYU, they can't even play on Sundays.

Mr. Laz 04-30-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6728560)
So is the Big 10 becoming the Big 17 now?

11 + 5 = 16

Big 16

Farzin 04-30-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6728563)
11 + 5 = 16

Big 16

ROFL

teedubya 04-30-2010 08:50 PM

I just registered Big16sports.com

Reaper16 04-30-2010 08:50 PM

*pines for the days of the Big 8*

notorious 04-30-2010 08:52 PM

I was suprised at first, but it makes sense. The Big 12 is choosing not to compete with the other big conferences when it comes to money and TV.

|Zach| 04-30-2010 08:52 PM

Sweet 16?

Mr. Laz 04-30-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 6728578)
I was suprised at first, but it makes sense. The Big 12 is choosing not to compete with the other big conferences when it comes to money and TV.

I hope KU is getting their ass in gear to find another conference because the Big 12 is about to become the Big Texas(and friends) Conference.

notorious 04-30-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6728590)
I hope KU is getting their ass in gear to find another conference because the Big 12 is about to become the Big Texas(and friends) Conference.

Yep.

Southwest Conference Part II.

It's not as bad as it sounds. In fact, that might be a best-case scenario after the dust settles.

KChiefs1 04-30-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 6728574)
I just registered Big16sports.com

Good move!:clap:

Mr. Kotter 04-30-2010 09:02 PM

I like Tigers and the Huskers. Seriously. I cheer for them, once the JHawks are down and out.

As a Kansas fan, I'd say it would appear that Nebraska and Missouri would "seem" to want to have a "better" chance in a league that tends to be less "dominated" by certain teams in certain sports.

I live adjacent to "Big Ten" country. When's the last time a Big Ten school made real noise in pursuit of a national championship....except for the perpetual bridesmaids, from "the" Ohio State University.

Maybe it's the right move for the Tigers and Huskers. Maybe they can actually make a difference. Guess, if this report is true, we will see.

Congrats, Mizzou and Nebraska. Have a good life. :toast:

Bugeater 04-30-2010 09:03 PM

This is going to be such a letdown if it doesn't happen.

notorious 04-30-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 6728601)
I like Mizzou and the Huskers. Seriously.

As a Kansas fan, I'd say it would appear that Nebraska and Missouri would "seem" to want to have a "better" chance in a league that tends to be less "dominated" by certain teams in certain sports.

I live adjacent to "Big Ten" country. When's the last time a Big Ten school made real noise in pursuit of a national championship....except for the perpetual bridesmaids, from "the" Ohio State University.

Maybe it's the right move for the Tigers and Huskers. Maybe they can actually make a difference. Guess, if this report is true, we will see.

Congrats, Mizzou and Nebraska. Have a good life. :toast:

It all comes down to TV and money.

The won't be any more or less competitive in the Big 11.