ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Drafting a Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=238416)

Chiefnj2 12-14-2010 10:01 AM

Drafting a Center

I think everyone would be in agreement that a Center is near the top of KC's draft needs. Although not a glamorous early pick, based on recent draft years it looks like you have to take a center early (1st or 2nd round) if you want a starting center. In my notes 'no impact' means not a starting CENTER. I looked at the first 4 or 5 centers drafted from 2010-2006 drafts (last 5 years):

1st rounders playing well and making an impact - Pouncey, Mack and Mangold.
1st round centers no impact at the position - Wood (moved to guard on draft day, injuries).
- 75% success rate.

2nd round centers playing well and making an impact - Kalil and Satele
2nd round picks no impact at the position - Unger (G, IR), Pollak (G, inj), Cook (G), Chester (G).
- twice as many 2nd round collegiate centers were moved to guard and have limited impact except for Chester.

3rd round starting at Center - JD Walton (Denver)
3rd round no impact - Caldwell (backup), Spitz (backup).

4th round playing well - none
4th round no impact - Lugis (not in NFL), Wallace (backup), Lichtenstein (G), Harris (G).

5th and 6th round impact - Sullivan
5th and 6th no impact - Tennant (although too early to tell), Ingram (out of nfl), Fry (cut).

spanky 52 12-14-2010 01:37 PM

I've been hoping they'd draft a C for several years now. Not sure who will be available in FA but Wisniewski will be a late lst rounder and Kirkpatrick will be an early to middle second rounder based on what I've seen in player evaluations. There are several who will go 3 & 4th round but will they be able to start early? C & RT are still big liabilities for a team that wants to run first.

Wouldn't be unhappy with Wisniewski in the first but keep thinking Pioli will go after a pass rushing OLB or DE. Keep hoping that Harris is being worked at C while on the practice squad.

raybec 4 12-14-2010 04:04 PM

I hope to holy rollin jeezus they'd take a linebacker or a wideout in the first round and not a center.

okiedokieokoye 12-16-2010 05:17 PM

I wouldn't be unhappy with a center in the 3rd. What about Brewster? Or do you not think he'll declare?

Direckshun 12-16-2010 11:45 PM

Drafting a center is unnecessary this year.

We need to draft positions that we desperately need development at, like WR or OLB or NT.

Wiegmann can hold the fort for another year.

Bewbies 12-17-2010 12:17 AM

I wonder what the breakdowns would be at all positions for players drafted in the 1st round compared to others. I bet it's similar, where 1st round picks are more often impact players than players taken later?

ChiefsCountry 12-17-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 7257847)
3rd round starting at Center - JD Walton (Denver)
3rd round no impact - Caldwell (backup), Spitz (backup).

Caldwell was moved to guard.

kcchiefsus 12-22-2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 7264789)

We need to draft positions that we desperately need development at, like WR or OLB or NT.

It's because he can hold the fort for another year that you draft somebody this year. That way we have somebody with a little seasoning once Wiegmann steps down.

spanky 52 12-23-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsus (Post 7282920)
It's because he can hold the fort for another year that you draft somebody this year. That way we have somebody with a little seasoning once Wiegmann steps down.

Absolutely. I'm not so sure Weigman will play another year. He's been much better this year than Niswanger has been in the past. I am concerned the way he was manhandled by SD and Oak. Don't think there are going to be any quality centers in free agency either.

gonefishin53 12-24-2010 09:15 PM

free agent centers

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanky 52 (Post 7283894)
Absolutely. I'm not so sure Weigman will play another year. He's been much better this year than Niswanger has been in the past. I am concerned the way he was manhandled by SD and Oak. Don't think there are going to be any quality centers in free agency either.

Although they're not multi year pro bowlers, I think Lyle Sendlein (Arizona), Samson Satele (Oakland), and Chris Spencer (Seattle) are in their prime years and would be upgrades at a position of need. Sendlein has a Haley connection and Satele would weaken a division foe. Spencer and Sendlein might jump at the chance to escape sinking ships.

spanky 52 12-25-2010 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin53 (Post 7286635)
Although they're not multi year pro bowlers, I think Lyle Sendlein (Arizona), Samson Satele (Oakland), and Chris Spencer (Seattle) are in their prime years and would be upgrades at a position of need. Sendlein has a Haley connection and Satele would weaken a division foe. Spencer and Sendlein might jump at the chance to escape sinking ships.

Welcome to the CP gonefishin53. Assuming we draft somewhere in the low to mid 20's, players like C Wisniewski, ROT Carimi, OLB Houston, WR Baldwin will be available. If they don't sign a center in FA they'll have to draft one. The pass rush leaves much to be desired so someone like Houston would be a good pick to replace Vrabel. But the strength of the Chief's offense is in the rushing of Charles and Jones so I'd think an upgrade at C and ROT would be high on their want list.

I hope we make the playoff's but if we don't it's been a much better year to be a Chief's fan.

gonefishin53 12-25-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanky 52 (Post 7286983)
Welcome to the CP gonefishin53. Assuming we draft somewhere in the low to mid 20's, players like C Wisniewski, ROT Carimi, OLB Houston, WR Baldwin will be available. If they don't sign a center in FA they'll have to draft one. The pass rush leaves much to be desired so someone like Houston would be a good pick to replace Vrabel. But the strength of the Chief's offense is in the rushing of Charles and Jones so I'd think an upgrade at C and ROT would be high on their want list.

I hope we make the playoff's but if we don't it's been a much better year to be a Chief's fan.

With a proven management team, a highly respected coaching staff, and a first class game day atmosphere at Arrowhead stadium, I think the Chiefs are well positioned to market the club to under the radar free agents entering their prime years. Upgrading 3 or 4 positions with good prospects without paying multi year pro bowl prices would allow more flexibility on draft day.

In addition to the free agent centers I listed earlier, NT's Paul Soliai (Miami) and Brandon Mebane (Seattle), ILB's Barrett Ruud (Tampa Bay), Desmond Bishop (Green Bay), and Kevin Burnett (San Diego), and WR's Mike Sims-Walker (Jacksonville), Ben Obomanu (Seattle), and James Jones (Green Bay) are in the 26-28 age range and appear set to enjoy 4-5 years as productive nfl players.

Saccopoo 12-27-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 7264789)

The problem with this concept is that Wiegmann, while deserving of a Pro Bowl bid for his superb 2010 season, is 38 years old. That's really freaking old in football terms and a body that old in football is prone to injury substantially more than a younger body.

Secondly, Niswanger is all but worthless as an NFL center. I had hopes for him, but he's never been able to hold the point of attack against NFL defensive tackles. The guy is a turnstile.

The Chiefs NEED to draft a true quality center in this next draft for depth on the offensive line and to groom Wiegmann's replacement. Get the guy in the system and get him understanding what is required at this level.

I don't think that you need to spend a first rounder on one unless it's a guy like Alex Mack, which there isn't in this draft. Quality players like Baxter from Arizona or Taylor from Utah will be available in the 4th/5th round.

philfree 12-30-2010 02:22 PM

So no mention of Mike Pouncey?

PhilFree:arrow:

ChiefGator 12-30-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 7304395)
So no mention of Mike Pouncey?

PhilFree:arrow:

We need a center, not a guard.