ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Tom Gabel Frontman of punk band Against Me! comes out as Transgender (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=259359)

Deberg_1990 05-09-2012 09:55 AM

Tom Gabel Frontman of punk band Against Me! comes out as Transgender

Tom Gabel of Against Me! Comes Out as Transgender
Singer reveals plans to begin living as a woman in the new issue of Rolling Stone .

Against Me! singer Tom Gabel reveals plans to begin living as a woman in the new issue of Rolling Stone. Gabel, who has dealt privately with gender dysphoria for years, will soon begin the process of transition, by taking hormones and undergoing electrolysis treatments.

Gabel will eventually take the name Laura Jane Grace, and will remain married to her wife Heather. "For me, the most terrifying thing about this was how she would accept the news," says Gabel. "But she's been super-amazing and understanding."

Gabel only told a handful of family and friends about her plan to transition before talking to Rolling Stone. Because this is the first time a major rock star has come out as transgender, the singer made a point of speaking openly about it. "I'm going to have embarrassing moments," says Gabel, "and that won't be fun. But that's part of what talking to you is about – is hoping people will understand, and hoping they'll be fairly kind."

The full story of Gabel's transformation is in the latest issue, on newsstands this Friday (May 11th). In it, the singer tells Josh Eells about her history of gender dysphoria, the specifics of the transition process and what becoming Laura Jane Grace will mean for the future of Against Me!

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz1uO8fc5m4

KCUnited 05-09-2012 09:59 AM

Keith Caputo

Sofa King 05-09-2012 10:05 AM

Well. Perhaps he should consider putting the penis in a baggie and mailing it to John Travolta when he's done with it.

patteeu 05-09-2012 10:17 AM

How sexually ambivalent do you have to be to stick with your husband through such a transition?

Dr. Johnny Fever 05-09-2012 10:23 AM

Now that's punk

Molitoth 05-09-2012 10:33 AM

One of my good friends (whom was previously one of the most manly people I knew) just came out with this same thing at 35 years old. I was completely shocked, as was everyone else that knows him. It was crazy at first but now I just know her as a female... I still call her "dude and man" though, haha.

He said he's put on a manly front his entire life and knew he was supposed to be a female from about the age of 5. He/she is now taking hormones and I'm seeing his muscle decrease drastically. It's a crazy thing to watch, but it seems it's getting very popular to do now. These gender changes are documented all over Youtube.

patteeu 05-09-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 8604415)
One of my good friends (whom was previously one of the most manly people I knew) just came out with this same thing at 35 years old. I was completely shocked, as was everyone else that knows him. It was crazy at first but now I just know her as a female... I still call her "dude and man" though, haha.

He said he's put on a manly front his entire life and knew he was supposed to be a female from about the age of 5. He/she is now taking hormones and I'm seeing his muscle decrease drastically. It's a crazy thing to watch, but it seems it's getting very popular to do now. These gender changes are documented all over Youtube.

With all those bro hugs over the years, you've probably got an inside track with this chick. Congratulations!

Pitt Gorilla 05-09-2012 10:39 AM

Didn't he coach the Raiders?

NewChief 05-09-2012 10:44 AM

I've been following this story some since I work up this morning and read my blog feeds. Anyway, it must really, really suck to feel like you were born the wrong sex all your life.

Fire Me Boy! 05-09-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8604427)
With all those bro hugs over the years, you've probably got an inside track with this chick. Congratulations!

Nah, he's in the friend zone.

Deberg_1990 05-09-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 8604415)

My wife has a friend from college who recently came out as gay. Dude was married for 10 years and has 2 kids. I dont get it???

Fire Me Boy! 05-09-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8604466)
My wife has a friend from college who recently came out as gay. Dude was married for 10 years and has 2 kids. I dont get it???

The fear of societal and familial rejection can be very, very strong.

Deberg_1990 05-09-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8604496)
The fear of societal and familial rejection can be very, very strong.

Yea no doubt. He probably hid it and denied it his whole life. He was raised in a very.conservative household.
Posted via Mobile Device

Valiant 05-09-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8604466)

Just think, a decade from now every CP member can tell this story about gochiefs.

Al Bundy 05-09-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8604631)
Just think, a decade from now every CP member can tell this story about gochiefs.

ROFL:bravo: