ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Ted Sundquist as the next GM. How would you feel? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266908)

Mr. Flopnuts 11-21-2012 08:05 AM

Ted Sundquist as the next GM. How would you feel?

He was very successful in Denver. Made the move for Cutler. Got high profiled free agents while he was there, and interviewed for the job before Scooter got hired. I'm listening to some shitty podcast that is interviewing him and he seems pretty intelligent. What would you say?

Mother****erJones 11-21-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9138710)
He was very successful in Denver. Made the move for Cutler. Got high profiled free agents while he was there, and interviewed for the job before Scooter got hired. I'm listening to some shitty podcast that is interviewing him and he seems pretty intelligent. What would you say?

I'd be down. I don't care who it is. I wanted the big name and he flopped. I want a good coach that's what I care about

CoMoChief 11-21-2012 08:12 AM

I'd really want the guy from NYG or Philly.

ChiefMojo 11-21-2012 08:16 AM

I wouldn't be against Sundquist but he hasn't been a GM for quite a while now. With that said he was the GM for the Broncos when they had their glory years. I guess it isn't hard to look good when you have John Elway as your QB but as we all know there was a lot of excellent players on those Broncos rosters through the years (Elway wasn't the only HOF player).

Lex Luthor 11-21-2012 08:16 AM

I'm more on board with the idea of hiring the head coach first, THEN the GM.

Hiring the GM first last time didn't turn out so well. It's time to try something different. I know it's tempting to hire someone, ANYONE, as long it's not Pioli, but that strategy has inherent dangers it it. You could wind up with Pioli Part Deux.

htismaqe 11-21-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9138741)
I'm more on board with the idea of hiring the head coach first, THEN the GM.

Hiring the GM first last time didn't turn out so well. It's time to try something different. I know it's tempting to hire someone, ANYONE, as long it's not Pioli, but that strategy has inherent dangers it it. You could wind up with Pioli Part Deux.

This.

Setsuna 11-21-2012 08:29 AM

Name is too close to Sandusky. NEXT.

Mr. Flopnuts 11-21-2012 08:34 AM

One interesting thing for me was listening to Sundquist talking about Pioli and his good ole boys network. He said it was easy to get comfortable in that mold, but you had to go out and find guys you've never worked with before so you'd have some outside the box thinking, and different ideas on how to achieve the same goals. I liked that. I'll tell you, listening to him talk I came away impressed.

The bolded part was just for you Sandusuna!

Dave Lane 11-21-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9138717)
I'd be down. I don't care who it is. I wanted the big name and he flopped. I want a good coach that's what I care about

No I want a ****ing GM that won't meddle with and try to undermine our head coach. We could have had something in Haley and we will never know because of Dr. Evil.

Support the HC as best you can and get him what he needs to succeed.

Mr. Flopnuts 11-21-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9138869)
No I want a ****ing GM that won't meddle with and try to undermine our head coach. We could have had something in Haley and we will never know because of Dr. Evil.

Great post.

Ace Gunner 11-21-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9138869)

yep and so priority 1 should be who the next HC is gonna be

htismaqe 11-21-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou_Zare (Post 9138886)
yep and so priority 1 should be who the next HC is gonna be

Yep.

Get the coach, THEN get the GM.

Mr. Flopnuts 11-21-2012 09:18 AM

Clark isn't going to do that. He's hands off. His dad was hands off. I like the idea, but gentlemen, it's not going to happen.

notorious 11-21-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 9138738)
I wouldn't be against Sundquist but he hasn't been a GM for quite a while now. With that said he was the GM for the Broncos when they had their glory years. I guess it isn't hard to look good when you have John Elway as your QB but as we all know there was a lot of excellent players on those Broncos rosters through the years (Elway wasn't the only HOF player).

Bingo.

He may be good, but this fact actually hurts him.

MagicHef 11-21-2012 09:35 AM

During his tenure as GM (2002-2007) we had one good draft (2006). The rest were particularly awful. It is possible that Shanahan had full control the entire time, though.

Our trades throughout this period seemed to be very favorable, most notably Champ + a 2nd for Portis, and the trade up for Cutler. Again, this may have been Shanahan.

Cap-wise, we were always in trouble. Every year we were paying significant amounts to cut players from previous years. Once again, Shanahan?