ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV 4K Movies--Where to buy (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=309867)

jaa1025 09-07-2017 06:51 AM

4K Movies--Where to buy

I just purchased a 4k Movie and 4k BD player.

For those that actually buy 4k movies where do you shop? Locally like Best Buy or online like Amazon? Is there somewhere better that I'm missing? I really dislike Amazon's layout. I'd like to build a collection but I'm starting from scratch so I will need to buy several.

dj56dt58 09-07-2017 09:08 AM

vudu (owned by walmart). But don't pay full price, go online and buy the uv codes for much cheaper, though 4k is still gonna run you about $15 for new releases probably

As far as the actual disc, Amazon

BigRichard 09-07-2017 02:29 PM

4k is so much over hype. If you have anything less than like a 70 inch tv your eyes will never see the difference. If it is greater than 70 inches it is so negligible from 5 to 10 feet away that most average people will never be able to tell the difference. It was a great way to get people to buy "better" equipment though.

New World Order 09-07-2017 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 13061739)
4k is so much over hype. If you have anything less than like a 70 inch tv your eyes will never see the difference. If it is greater than 70 inches it is so negligible from 5 to 10 feet away that most average people will never be able to tell the difference. It was a great way to get people to buy "better" equipment though.

Disagree.

Even on my 27 inch 4k monitor I can see a difference from 6 or so feet away.

Throw in HDR on a 4k tv and it's an even bigger difference

BWillie 09-07-2017 03:44 PM

I remember people said you couldn't tell the difference between 720i and 1080p. How come I can tell the difference between 4K & 1080P VERY EASILY.

MTG#10 09-07-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xL...VFtu/giphy.gif

ModSocks 09-07-2017 04:07 PM

Quote:

I recently purchased one because it was cheap. My wife unexpectadly broke my 50" L.E.D Sharp. Maybe it's because of the brand, idk, but i liked my smaller 1080 Sharp better.

Quite frankly i didn't buy this "4K" T.V because i wanted or even cared about 4K. I bought it because it was cheap for the size. So i really couldnt tell you if 4K sucks or if this T.V Sucks.

BigRichard 09-07-2017 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13062017)
I recently purchased one because it was cheap. My wife unexpectadly broke my 50" L.E.D Sharp. Maybe it's because of the brand, idk, but i liked my smaller 1080 Sharp better.

Quite frankly i didn't buy this "4K" T.V because i wanted or even cared about 4K. I bought it because it was cheap for the size. So i really couldnt tell you if 4K sucks or if this T.V Sucks.

It isn't that it sucks really. It is just the TV industry pushing something that wasn't really needed. The human eyes are not equipped to see any better detail. If you are super close then yes, you will see a difference. The average person sits back 5-10 feet and their eyes will never see the difference.

BigRichard 09-07-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13061959)
I remember people said you couldn't tell the difference between 720i and 1080p. How come I can tell the difference between 4K & 1080P VERY EASILY.

Have you put them next to each other playing them off of the same device or is that just what you saw in the store?

Funny that if you go look it up even experts that know what they are looking for have a hard time telling the difference.

BryanBusby 09-08-2017 04:46 AM

Anyone who claims no difference in doubling resolution is Ray Charles, has a TV for ants or a dumb ass.

Fish 09-08-2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 13063335)
It isn't that it sucks really. It is just the TV industry pushing something that wasn't really needed. The human eyes are not equipped to see any better detail. If you are super close then yes, you will see a difference. The average person sits back 5-10 feet and their eyes will never see the difference.

That's kinda ridiculous, bud. Resolution is resolution. This isn't pushing the boundaries of human eyes in any sense. There's absolutely a very perceivable difference when you see actual 4K content next to 1080p content. It's not even close. The only issue with 4K is the current lack of content. I don't have a 4K TV, and don't plan to anytime soon. But this isn't just some marketing ploy.

BigRichard 09-08-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13068004)
That's kinda ridiculous, bud. Resolution is resolution. This isn't pushing the boundaries of human eyes in any sense. There's absolutely a very perceivable difference when you see actual 4K content next to 1080p content. It's not even close. The only issue with 4K is the current lack of content. I don't have a 4K TV, and don't plan to anytime soon. But this isn't just some marketing ploy.

There are so many articles on this...

https://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-...-still-stupid/

DaneMcCloud 09-08-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13062017)

I replaced a 10 year old Vizio LED with a 55" TCL Roku 4K TV. $399 on sale at Costco.

It is, by far, the best TV in my home. The picture is stunning, especially with sports and 4K broadcasts.

BryanBusby 09-08-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 13068350)

The very own chart the guy put in his article counters his argument and really just looks like a nerd rant about tech companies, more than anything.

A lot of people that say they can't tell any difference aren't actually coming to that conclusion from native 4k.

The whole theory is weak and odd. If his argument was "4k not as big of a difference as you would like to think" than yeah maybe he would have something.

E: even that dude wrote an article later that basically says lol nvm 4k is kewl

Fish 09-08-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 13068350)

Maybe you should read that author's latest article on the matter:
Quote:

https://www.cnet.com/news/4k-tvs-arent-stupid-anymore/

Bottom line

So 4K TVs aren't stupid anymore. And this is from someone who is, shall we say, infamous, in some circles, for my initial loathing of 4K TVs. What I've said all along is that I felt resolution by itself isn't enough of an improvement for most people to justify the high cost of 4K TVs (given TV sizes and how far people sit from televisions).

But now the cost is lower, and to get the best picture, regardless of resolution, it's likely going to have to be a 4K TV (thanks to features like local dimming, high refresh rates).