ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Ward joins in calling out Bob Sutton (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=327184)

TwistedChief 12-08-2019 05:26 AM

Ward joins in calling out Bob Sutton

First, let me just say that the Star is putting out much, much better content this year with their new team.

Anyway,
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...238089644.html

Quote:

Ward is talking about a third-and-10 in overtime, when Patriots receiver Julian Edelman split wide to the right, then motioned toward slot receiver Phillip Dorsett at the snap. Ward followed Edelman, the snap timed so that Dorsett rubbed Ward and gave Edelman an extra step.

Tom Brady’s pass, of course, was completed. First down. Three plays later, another conversion. Three plays after that, the touchdown that ended the Chiefs’ season.

"I knew that was coming,” Ward says. “But I couldn’t do nothing about it.”

Ward means he could not stop it because of how he and his teammates were coached. The Patriots had run the exact same play on a third down earlier in the drive, on the other side of the field: Edelman split wide left, motioning toward Dorsett in the slot, his route aided by a rub, the pass completed for a first down.

"So I knew it was coming,” Ward continues. “I couldn’t do nothing about it because I was told to stay down. If I would’ve been like, ‘Nah, nah, nah, let’s in-and-out,’ it would’ve played out different. (If they) kick a field goal, miss or make it, Pat Mahomes goes down and scores a touchdown and we win the game and we’re in the Super Bowl.

“I was instructed to stay down, but I could’ve told (fellow cornerback Kendall) Fuller, ‘Man, let’s in-and-out.’ Because the same thing just happened on the other side.”

Ward pauses. Bob Sutton, then the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator, had been clear in his directives on the Patriots’ fateful drive. Players lose jobs for freelancing.

“But I’m the one that’s playing,” Ward says. “I still could’ve overruled that, and told Fuller, ‘Let’s work together.’”

Another pause.

“Bob was ... man.”

One more pause.

“I ain’t going to say nothing about that.”

Rasputin 12-08-2019 05:29 AM

If you make a play no coach is going be upset with that do what ever it takes to win.

Flying High D 12-08-2019 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 14639329)
If you make a play no coach is going be upset with that do what ever it takes to win.

We can’t assume Bob was a coach. Roach maybe, but definitely not a coach.

Baby Lee 12-08-2019 06:41 AM

Quote:

Flashbacks to Ditka chewing Harbaugh's ass on national TV in 1987 every time he threw a TD instead of handing off.

493rd 12-08-2019 06:53 AM

Sutton was in over his head when his pass rush disappeared. He had no answers.

Tribal Warfare 12-08-2019 06:57 AM

Not surprising

BRW, **** Jeff Rosen and the KCSTAR

-King- 12-08-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 493rd (Post 14639357)
Sutton was in over his head when his pass rush disappeared. He had no answers.

He still had a pass rush last year. He was in over his head when he couldn't count on Berry and DJ to bail him out on the back end of the defense.

PHOG 12-08-2019 07:44 AM

Bob who?

FringeNC 12-08-2019 08:11 AM

Sutton should have been fired two years earlier.

stevieray 12-08-2019 08:24 AM

....and there it is.

SMDH

Tribal Warfare 12-08-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 14639395)
Sutton should have been fired two years earlier.

When he ruined Poe Sutton should have been shitcanned

Coochie liquor 12-08-2019 08:26 AM

Let’s hope it plays out differently today!

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 12-08-2019 09:18 AM

Wow really Sutton you’re trash. Finally we get to see the real Ward this year and he looks damn good!

NJChiefsFan 12-08-2019 09:30 AM

Incredible. Just incredible.

jjchieffan 12-08-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

If he wasn't a rookie fighting for playing time, yeah. But he was in no position to go against Sutton. What if he had played it the way he wanted and it was completed anyway? I have no doubt that Marcus Peters in that situation would have ignored Sutton. But I don't think that we want anyone behaving like Peters.