ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Video Games Gaming/Router/Wireless question (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=330207)

TripleThreat 03-27-2020 12:23 PM

Gaming/Router/Wireless question

So I am currently in a situation where my computer cannot be in the same room as my router. I went to best buy and bought the best WI-FI plug in they had...

Nonetheless browsing the internet and such is fine. Downloading things is fine. But gaming has been an issue from time to time.

Is there any programs, i remember WTFLag, etc that helps with these situations? or is just a, you have WI-FI deal with it.

EDIT: So to clarify what was going wrong, during gaming my ping would spike to 3000+MS when running a ping test....

I never figured out the true issue after spending 4+ hours on it.

I ended up doing a system restore to factory settings, and now it works fine. I am not exactly sure what the problem was but it is what it is i guess.

dj56dt58 03-27-2020 12:33 PM

Same issue here..not a big fan of WiFi extenders as the connection speed is much slower. Your best bet imo is to focus on upgrading the router itself. Make sure you leave your door open. I’m not an expert by any means just my opinion from personal experience

Mecca 03-27-2020 12:38 PM

If you have any type of brick wall in your house or old chicken wire when houses were super old that will kill your wifi.

A lot of it is going to be your modem and the speed you pay for it. Like you'll never get the speed you pay for on wireless, I have 275 down and my PC on wireless pulls about 138.

Jewish Rabbi 03-27-2020 12:39 PM

What kind of router are you using?

TripleThreat 03-27-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 14871765)
What kind of router are you using?

I am currently using a ORBI router RBR20

I also have a linksys AC1200+ Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Gigabit Router

Maybe I should switch to the linksys?

ljmhawk 03-27-2020 12:59 PM

you need to just hardwire it. you can get long ethernet cables. best connection is wired and gaming on wireless is pretty bad. would be pretty easy to run the cable through the floor, just involves some drilling.

TripleThreat 03-27-2020 01:32 PM

Would a VPN work to help the connection?

Mecca 03-27-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleThreat (Post 14871871)
Would a VPN work to help the connection?

That'd actually make it worse, a VPN bottlenecks your bandwidth.

TripleThreat 03-27-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 14871878)
That'd actually make it worse, a VPN bottlenecks your bandwidth.

What about mud fish then? I read their vpn you pay for a certain amount of bandwidth? So if I buy a lot of bandwidth would that increase my connection?

I’m a noob at this by the way hahah

Mecca 03-27-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleThreat (Post 14871881)
What about mud fish then? I read their vpn you pay for a certain amount of bandwidth? So if I buy a lot of bandwidth would that increase my connection?

I’m a noob at this by the way hahah

A VPN is always going to make your speeds worse, it's basically a way to make it where everything you do can't be seen but you lose speed for it.

I have one because yea it's needed sometimes but no matter what it will always take longer.

The solution is to either buy 100 dollars worth of ethernet cable and run it across your ceiling or deal with it.

displacedinMN 03-27-2020 01:56 PM

My daughter is teaching her dance class from home-dance is in Fargo.

Over wi-fi,,,it was bad. Even though the computer/modem was 15 feet apart.
Had to hard wire it. No issues.

Don't be surprised if everyones internet is slow.

Bill Brasky 03-27-2020 02:17 PM

What game are you playing and who is your internet provider? Is this on a console? A lot of games like call of duty don't host the match on a server provided by the game publisher. They use one of the 8 people in the match as the host for the game, so if their internet sucks, you will have a shitty experience regardless of how fast your internet is.

cabletech94 03-27-2020 02:19 PM

hard wire is the best. sorry. i've seen people run lines outside a window through another window. etc.
it all goes back to a home ran line.

Mecca 03-27-2020 02:23 PM

Or you can move to a house where they run ethernet in the walls.

TripleThreat 03-27-2020 03:06 PM

NVM