ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Kelce: Mahomes' Raiders INT was on me (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=334641)

Dante84 10-28-2020 11:39 AM

Kelce: Mahomes' Raiders INT was on me

During today's presser, Kelce was asked why he was so pissed off at himself on Twitter after the Raiders game.

He then described how during the game, they have a lot of freedom to make choices during the flow of a play, which often leads to success. He called himself out for freelancing on the route that lead to Mahomes' (only) Interception this year, and how it hurt the team by allowing them to turn it into a 16 point lead.

1. It's cool that he owns this and pushes himself to be better.

2. It's insane that the only interception Patrick has had this season wasn't his fault.

Ultimately, it's on Patrick to not make the throw, but he clearly trusts Kelce and so perhaps there was something Kelce missed on the coverage during the play.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/53fPEJb1awo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cabletech94 10-28-2020 11:40 AM

Thanks for posting that. I caught the tail end on the radio.
+1.

Why Not? 10-28-2020 11:43 AM

Who knows if it factually was his fault or not. The big takeaway here, that we already knew, is this team has each other’s back and legit look out for one another. If someone hit Mahomes the way Dalton was hit last week, we may have some players on our team in jail currently.

Dante84 10-28-2020 11:45 AM

From the sky view at the :44 mark, it looks like Kelce drifted his route deeper down the field instead of curling in more shallow.

This makes even more sense when you look how close he is to WR's route when Patrick throws it.

Because of the depth he got, it allowed the safety to creep up and make the play.

Hog's Gone Fishin 10-28-2020 11:46 AM

Mahomes is lucky he doesn't have AT LEAST 3 int's . He's thrown several right in the defenders hands that were dropped.

Dante84 10-28-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 15281894)
Who knows if it factually was his fault or not. The big takeaway here, that we already knew, is this team has each other’s back and legit look out for one another. If someone hit Mahomes the way Dalton was hit last week, we may have some players on our team in jail currently.

Seriously. Our whole sideline would clear, and they might have to call off the game.

Dante84 10-28-2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 15281901)
Mahomes is lucky he doesn't have AT LEAST 3 int's . He's thrown several right in the defenders hands that were dropped.

A few of those were on free plays, where flags were already thrown. He gets the green light.

BigCatDaddy 10-28-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 15281901)

We have been hearing this for 3 years and it applies to every QB in the league :facepalm:

displacedinMN 10-28-2020 12:04 PM

Playing for each other and refuse to throw other under the bus

htismaqe 10-28-2020 12:07 PM

I love this team. They are awesome.

chiefzilla1501 10-28-2020 12:10 PM

I think Travis kelce is criminally underrated. People know he's good even without mahomes. But while mahomes helps him I don't think there's an appreciation for what that demands of kelce.

Watching the new England game I don't know if there's a tight end or receiver who gets clobbered the way he does off the snap. The dude battles through it and never once complains. But you can see in some games it wears down on him

What a tremendous team player.

BWillie 10-28-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 15281910)
We have been hearing this for 3 years and it applies to every QB in the league :facepalm:

True. But there should be a stat of "should have been interceptions + interceptions that are the QBs fault".

The Kelce one wouldn't apply because the stat tracker isn't going to know the exact route he was supposed to run but perhaps a stat exists that removes tipped ints that the WR or TE just bobbled up into the air. Also just because the defender had the ball hit him in the chest and didn't catch it the exact same as the ones they do catch. They are the same bad throw. Not acknowledging the difference is being results oriented.

My hope is QBR reflects these types of things (I know QB rating does not) but I doubt it.

There is also a HUGE difference in WHEN the interceptions take place. If you are winning 24-17 in the 2nd Quarter on 1st and 10 and a QB forces one. Horrible decision. If you are down 31-10 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and it's 3rd and 9 and you try to get one in there to give your team a chance. The fact that the QB threw the ball to try to win the game but it was intercepted doesn't even matter. It's actually probably a GOOD THING because a QB caring about their stats just takes the quick out for an easy 4 yards yet lowered the probability of winning the game.

Basically the interception stat is a horrible stat without context.

htismaqe 10-28-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 15281973)
I think Travis kelce is criminally underrated. People know he's good even without mahomes. But while mahomes helps him I don't think there's an appreciation for what that demands of kelce.

Watching the new England game I don't know if there's a tight end or receiver who gets clobbered the way he does off the snap. The dude battles through it and never once complains. But you can see in some games it wears down on him

I like the fact that last week, CBS pregame was talking about Kelce and Kittle in the same breath. Kittle is great but I get tired of hearing how great he is compared to Kelce.

They're almost the same player in a lot of respects - Kelce is a much better blocker than people realize because the offense is so different from Shanahan's.

The simple fact is that there's Kelce, Kittle, and everybody else. And it's not even really close.

jdubya 10-28-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 15281973)

Hes considered by everybody to be a top 1 or 2 TE.....how is he "criminally underrated" again?

htismaqe 10-28-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15281981)
True. But there should be a stat of "should have been interceptions + interceptions that are the QBs fault".

The Kelce one wouldn't apply because the stat tracker isn't going to know the exact route he was supposed to run but perhaps a stat exists that removes tipped ints that the WR or TE just bobbled up into the air. Also just because the defender had the ball hit him in the chest and didn't catch it the exact same as the ones they do catch. They are the same bad throw. Not acknowledging the difference is being results oriented.

My hope is QBR reflects these types of things (I know QB rating does not) but I doubt it.

There is also a HUGE difference in WHEN the interceptions take place. If you are winning 24-17 in the 2nd Quarter on 1st and 10 and a QB forces one. Horrible decision. If you are down 31-10 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and it's 3rd and 9 and you try to get one in there to give your team a chance. The fact that the QB threw the ball to try to win the game but it was intercepted doesn't even matter. It's actually probably a GOOD THING because a QB caring about their stats just takes the quick out for an easy 4 yards yet lowered the probability of winning the game.

Basically the interception stat is a horrible stat without context.

There is a subject element to ESPN's QBR so they may.