Home Mail Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2016, 11:23 AM  
DaFace DaFace is offline
Kind of a mod
 
DaFace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Donkey Land
Casino cash: $26984
Personal finance and investing megathread extravaganza

I know lewdog (and maybe others) have mentioned the desire to have a place to chat about personal finance stuff. We'll see if there's enough interest to keep this going in the long-term, but at least for now, here's a place to chat about whatever personal finance topics come up.



If you're just getting started thinking about saving and don't know where to begin, this flow chart can help. Ask for advice in the thread for more help!

Last edited by DaFace; 01-24-2018 at 03:49 PM..
Posts: 41,481
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #2476
Rain Man Rain Man is offline
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan
 
Rain Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: My house
Casino cash: $43106
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
I personally think the RV era is ending. Maybe you'll see some consolidation that might help your stocks (maybe that's already happening). Just my best guess here.

Oil prices won't dictate sales much. To volatile.
What's your theory? I don't follow the trends, but my initial thought is that we have record numbers of people retiring, and that's usually the buyer. What's replacing RV demand for them?

I wonder if perhaps we have more retirees without pensions, which could stifle demand. And maybe interests are changing, but I don't really know.
__________________
Andy Reid to Patrick Mahomes: "At my signal, unleash hell."
Posts: 114,809
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #2477
eDave eDave is offline
Supporter
 
eDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Casino cash: $72574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
What's your theory? I don't follow the trends, but my initial thought is that we have record numbers of people retiring, and that's usually the buyer. What's replacing RV demand for them?

I wonder if perhaps we have more retirees without pensions, which could stifle demand. And maybe interests are changing, but I don't really know.
Just my gut. At 53, I am (and know plenty of others), that are thinking and planning for that more, and none of them plan on hitting the open road.

Regardless of the cheap oil, gas is still pretty expensive and those ****ers eat a lot of gas. It's why my dad parked his, then sold it.

Crunch the numbers though. There's the real answer.
Posts: 35,363
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #2478
Rain Man Rain Man is offline
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan
 
Rain Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: My house
Casino cash: $43106
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
Just my gut. At 53, I am (and know plenty of others), that are thinking and planning for that more, and none of them plan on hitting the open road.

Regardless of the cheap oil, gas is still pretty expensive and those ****ers eat a lot of gas. It's why my dad parked his, then sold it.

Crunch the numbers though. There's the real answer.

I'll admit that RVs seem to make no sense financially. But I'm not sure they ever have. I've run the numbers casually, and I think they're neutral at best compared to staying in a hotel. I presume that people buy them so they can sleep in their own bed and fix their own meals and pump their own human wastes.
__________________
Andy Reid to Patrick Mahomes: "At my signal, unleash hell."
Posts: 114,809
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #2479
TrebMaxx TrebMaxx is offline
Supporter
 
TrebMaxx's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Peoples Republic of CoMo
Casino cash: $17352
To me RV's are something you rent. I am planning a few trips when I retire in about 4 years. I also plan to do a few excursions on houseboats that you can rent.
__________________
Posts: 3,971
TrebMaxx is too fat/Omaha.TrebMaxx is too fat/Omaha.TrebMaxx is too fat/Omaha.TrebMaxx is too fat/Omaha.TrebMaxx is too fat/Omaha.TrebMaxx is too fat/Omaha.TrebMaxx is too fat/Omaha.TrebMaxx is too fat/Omaha.TrebMaxx is too fat/Omaha.TrebMaxx is too fat/Omaha.TrebMaxx is too fat/Omaha.
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #2480
Hog's Gone Fishin Hog's Gone Fishin is offline
Good Donkey = Dead Donkey
 
Hog's Gone Fishin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2001
Casino cash: $31176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I'll admit that RVs seem to make no sense financially. But I'm not sure they ever have. I've run the numbers casually, and I think they're neutral at best compared to staying in a hotel. I presume that people buy them so they can sleep in their own bed and fix their own meals and pump their own human wastes.
I totally agree. My partner had and still has a huge RV. He says they're nothing but a money pit.
__________________
Best team ever!
Posts: 31,432
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #2481
Monty Monty is offline
Award Winning Tailgater
 
Monty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $8910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
I totally agree. My partner had and still has a huge RV. He says they're nothing but a money pit.
Define huge RV. I haven't shared much about my situation, but I've been in a fifth wheel full time for just over 5 years and would completely disagree with that statement, but there are other considerations. The first, we have no brick and mortar home any longer, but save almost $10K a year in property taxes. Secondly, staying somewhere for a month at a time and getting the monthly rate vs the nightly rate is a no brainer IMO. This also reduces the gas bill to the same amount as when we commuted back and forth for work. The overall investment is a smaller home and it's paid off and paid for itself as well. I thought I was crazy when I started this new life, but in looking back, wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh, since this is an investment thread, I'll also add that the SaaS (ITSM) investments like ServiceNow have paid off nicely over the last 2 years. OKTA is an Identity Access Management solution that's doing well too. I bought that earlier this year and it's nearly doubled so far. Have a look.
Posts: 2,343
Monty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:15 PM   #2482
Rain Man Rain Man is offline
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan
 
Rain Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: My house
Casino cash: $43106
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Define huge RV. I haven't shared much about my situation, but I've been in a fifth wheel full time for just over 5 years and would completely disagree with that statement, but there are other considerations. The first, we have no brick and mortar home any longer, but save almost $10K a year in property taxes. Secondly, staying somewhere for a month at a time and getting the monthly rate vs the nightly rate is a no brainer IMO. This also reduces the gas bill to the same amount as when we commuted back and forth for work. The overall investment is a smaller home and it's paid off and paid for itself as well. I thought I was crazy when I started this new life, but in looking back, wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh, since this is an investment thread, I'll also add that the SaaS (ITSM) investments like ServiceNow have paid off nicely over the last 2 years. OKTA is an Identity Access Management solution that's doing well too. I bought that earlier this year and it's nearly doubled so far. Have a look.
So you're living life on the road? Tell me more. I think that would be a great way to retire, but my wife rolls her eyes any time I mention it.

Do you have a general budget? I presume that you're only paying for hook-up utilities and internet in terms of housing? What's your monthly gasoline cost? (If you don't mind sharing.)
__________________
Andy Reid to Patrick Mahomes: "At my signal, unleash hell."
Posts: 114,809
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #2483
Hog's Gone Fishin Hog's Gone Fishin is offline
Good Donkey = Dead Donkey
 
Hog's Gone Fishin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2001
Casino cash: $31176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Define huge RV.
Really, Really Big.
__________________
Best team ever!
Posts: 31,432
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #2484
Monty Monty is offline
Award Winning Tailgater
 
Monty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $8910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
So you're living life on the road? Tell me more. I think that would be a great way to retire, but my wife rolls her eyes any time I mention it.

Do you have a general budget? I presume that you're only paying for hook-up utilities and internet in terms of housing? What's your monthly gasoline cost? (If you don't mind sharing.)
Well, kinda on the road. We usually stay in one location for 2-3 months depending on the seasons. I was offered a work from home position about 4 years ago and decided that "home" could be elsewhere as I was wanting to get back to the Rockies and the Black Hills again. We sold our house, most of our belongings and put the rest in storage. We had a budget, but I was always going over by eating out too much, but nothing too excessive. I have a dually that is diesel, so those costs averaged about $180 month. As i worked from home and we took our Goldwing with us, I usually drove that to keep things in line wrt diesel costs. Monthly lot rents vary greatly, but we averaged about $500/month with electricity costs of around $75. Right now, it's $375/month and our electric bill was $68. Water/Sewer is generally included in the lot rent. Internet is via the Verizon Jetpack and I get 15GB/month high speed and then it's throttled after that to 600 MBps. As long as I didn't watch much Netflix on my connection, it was fine. I use Directv and had a Winegard dish installed on the roof, so only need to turn it on and off and it will automatically find the satellites at any location as long as there are no trees in the way. There is a lot of maintenance, but it's really simple compared to the house, so most of the work I do myself. Had a couple of issues with our bedroom slide and called in a guy to do that, but everything else I did myself. This isn't for everyone and it's really important that your spouse is fully supportive and committed. I was very lucky in that regard.
Posts: 2,343
Monty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #2485
Monty Monty is offline
Award Winning Tailgater
 
Monty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $8910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
Really, Really Big.
Yeah, no way would I sink that much money into a motorhome, hence the reason we did the fifth wheel. More space and freedom and it's something I can work on without bringing in the experts. There's so many things that can and will go wrong.
Posts: 2,343
Monty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:59 PM   #2486
Hog's Gone Fishin Hog's Gone Fishin is offline
Good Donkey = Dead Donkey
 
Hog's Gone Fishin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2001
Casino cash: $31176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Yeah, no way would I sink that much money into a motorhome, hence the reason we did the fifth wheel. More space and freedom and it's something I can work on without bringing in the experts. There's so many things that can and will go wrong.
Yeah, it's a motorhome, probably well over 100K and he just uses it for travel away from his home. He's about 75 years old , retired pharmacist so money isn't a big deal i don't think.
__________________
Best team ever!
Posts: 31,432
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #2487
Monty Monty is offline
Award Winning Tailgater
 
Monty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2000
Casino cash: $8910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
Yeah, it's a motorhome, probably well over 100K and he just uses it for travel away from his home. He's about 75 years old , retired pharmacist so money isn't a big deal i don't think.
Good for him. Itís his $$ so his choice. 👍
Posts: 2,343
Monty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMonty 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:00 PM   #2488
Rain Man Rain Man is offline
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan
 
Rain Man's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: My house
Casino cash: $43106
VARSITY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Well, kinda on the road. We usually stay in one location for 2-3 months depending on the seasons. I was offered a work from home position about 4 years ago and decided that "home" could be elsewhere as I was wanting to get back to the Rockies and the Black Hills again. We sold our house, most of our belongings and put the rest in storage. We had a budget, but I was always going over by eating out too much, but nothing too excessive. I have a dually that is diesel, so those costs averaged about $180 month. As i worked from home and we took our Goldwing with us, I usually drove that to keep things in line wrt diesel costs. Monthly lot rents vary greatly, but we averaged about $500/month with electricity costs of around $75. Right now, it's $375/month and our electric bill was $68. Water/Sewer is generally included in the lot rent. Internet is via the Verizon Jetpack and I get 15GB/month high speed and then it's throttled after that to 600 MBps. As long as I didn't watch much Netflix on my connection, it was fine. I use Directv and had a Winegard dish installed on the roof, so only need to turn it on and off and it will automatically find the satellites at any location as long as there are no trees in the way. There is a lot of maintenance, but it's really simple compared to the house, so most of the work I do myself. Had a couple of issues with our bedroom slide and called in a guy to do that, but everything else I did myself. This isn't for everyone and it's really important that your spouse is fully supportive and committed. I was very lucky in that regard.
That's really cool. Now that my house is paid off, though, I think my costs aren't any higher than that. Maybe they are if you amortize in the occasional big project like painting. But I don't get to change my view at will, either.
__________________
Andy Reid to Patrick Mahomes: "At my signal, unleash hell."
Posts: 114,809
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:50 AM   #2489
scho63 scho63 is offline
Politically Incorrect
 
scho63's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Casino cash: $2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
I personally think the RV era is ending. Maybe you'll see some consolidation that might help your stocks (maybe that's already happening). Just my best guess here.

Oil prices won't dictate sales much. To volatile.
RVs are the biggest scam and worse than buying a boat. The luxury ones are like $5000 or more a square foot. They depreciate like crazy and they are hogs for maintenance.
Yet there are millions who buy them around the World.
__________________
"The only difference between sex for free and sex for money is that sex for free costs you a WHOLE LOT more!" ~Redd Foxx~


2018 2019 Adopt a Chief - Clark Hunt and Brett Veach
"The men who drafted Patrick Mahomes"


Posts: 25,209
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 AM   #2490
Buehler445 Buehler445 is offline
Supporter
 
Buehler445's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Scott City KS
Casino cash: $44834
Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
RVs are the biggest scam and worse than buying a boat. The luxury ones are like $5000 or more a square foot. They depreciate like crazy and they are hogs for maintenance.
Yet there are millions who buy them around the World.
Everybody I know that buys them gives no ****s.
Posts: 41,880
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:14 AM.


This is a test for a client's site.
Fort Worth Texas Process Servers
Covering Arlington, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie and surrounding communities.
Tarrant County, Texas and Johnson County, Texas.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.