PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski's Thomas Article and Maz...

Bob Dole
11-19-2000, 11:13 AM
Reading Joe P,'s article, it seems that he has a point. While DT's skills had diminished somewhat, there was that "extra gear" you witness in some individuals, and DT seemed to have it and inspire it in others.

Bob Dole thinks that Maz's break into the starting lineup could have the same impact over time. Probably won't happen game one--but Bob Dole just feels it will happen.

Maz is respected by the others as a Special Teams Monster and that may automatically carry over to defense: we can hope. Another week like the one he had against SF, though, and Maz might just be the spark this team needs to regain true Chiefs defensive form.

milkman
11-19-2000, 11:29 AM
There may be some substance to Posnanski's article, but the Chiefs' defensive decline started well before this season, and one player may have some impact, but I doubt that it will be that large.
The deense, throughout the Thomas era was predicated on aggressiveness. Under the puppet Stooge and the Puppet Master (Shaw) this D plays soft. Until that changes, this D is going to continue it's ineffectiveness, IMO, regardless of personel changes.
the milkman
aggressively bashing the coaching

Bob Dole
12-18-2000, 03:05 PM
Bob Dole just needed to toot his own horn for a second...

HC_Chief
12-18-2000, 03:17 PM
IMHO, our defensive resurgence as of late is in large part due to the return of Eric Hicks. I do not think it mere coincidence that with his return, we've moved from 28th overall to ~10th in total defense.

Combine that with the insertion of a hungry, old-school, hard-hitting LB like Maslowski, and we're a DC, DT(Glock must go!) and CB away from having a damn good D once again.

Bob Dole
12-18-2000, 03:25 PM
Approximately 10th? Bob Dole wishes...

More like 19th currently.

(16th against the run and 21st against the pass.)

[This message has been edited by Robert_Dole (edited 12-18-2000).]

HC_Chief
12-18-2000, 04:09 PM
Dole - I don't think the stats at NFL.Com have been updated yet. I know we moved from 28th to ~17th overall - then factor-in the butt-whupping we put on Denver, we should vault up quite a few spots. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

58Forever
12-18-2000, 04:23 PM
I love Maz...he reminds me of Seau, or Lanier...controlled mayhem...he is intense and that translates to his teammates...they see a guy go all out, they might try a bit harder...I'll bet he would ride your *** if you dogged it...may be the leader that we've missed since DT has been gone...

Bob Dole
12-18-2000, 04:36 PM
Bob Dole got them from CNNsi's Statitudes pages because the NFL.com stats were not updated.<BR>

ck_IN
12-18-2000, 08:34 PM
I like the potential here. If Maz moves to MLB next year (his natural position), he and Wesley will give us a pair of enforcers we haven't had since Ross and Hackett.

Now if we can get a D tackle that picks his teeth with the bones of RB's, coupled with our assassins at DE I'll be a very happy camper.