View Full Version : Gretz: Fins caved when the King put his foot down

shaneo69
06-10-2007, 08:18 AM
GRETZ: Finally
Jun 06, 2007, 2:49:52 PM by Bob Gretz

So finally it’s done.

The Chiefs and Dolphins agreed to terms on a deal for Trent Green on Tuesday morning, sending the team’s former starting quarterback to south Florida for a fifth-round draft choice.

That compensation will rise to a fourth-round pick if Green plays more than 70 percent of the offensive snaps for Miami. Only injury will keep that from happening, so the Chiefs will get a fourth-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

Green passed a physical in Miami on Wednesday and he’ll be on the field for the team’s mini-camp this weekend.

In the end, the Dolphins blinked. They had been stuck for months on their position of offering only a sixth-round choice for Green. No matter what offer the Chiefs put on the table over the last six weeks, and there were many different packages suggested, the Dolphins said no, just a sixth rounder. The Chiefs made conditional offers, straight offers, they submitted a list of veteran players on the Dolphins roster. Always the ‘Fins said no deal.

Miami could have had Green for a sixth-round choice on the first day of the NFL Draft, but they wouldn’t swap positions in the third round. That 11-spot movement along with the sixth rounder would have given the Chiefs fourth-round value, while the Dolphins could have said they gave up only a sixth. It was a win-win and they said no.

In reality, the Chiefs did everything they could to get a deal done with Miami with one exception: they were not going to give Green away. A sixth-round pick for a starting NFL quarterback is giving the guy away. That’s trading the triggerman of your offense for Jimmy Wilkerson, or Will Svitek, or Khari Long, or Tre Stallings, or Jeff Webb … all recent sixth round picks.

The Dolphins thought the Chiefs were bluffing. They learned otherwise. Ultimately it came down to this: the Chiefs told the Dolphins the deal was going to happen on Tuesday, or there would be no deal. They were prepared, as Carl Peterson had said all along, to take Green into training camp and the 2007 season. Had the deal not been consummated, discussions would have ended and the matter closed.

Green was not at Arrowhead Stadium on Tuesday, despite an on-field OTA session; he’s made all of those practices before that one. It’s a good guess that he was at home, working the phone to his agent and telling him to get the Dolphins off the sixth-round pick, because this was make or break time. Green has made it very plain that he wanted no part of the quarterback competition that Herm Edwards has set up for this season. Why he was reluctant to compete for the job is something Green hasn’t fully explained, other than to say he thought the situation was weighted in favor of Brodie Croyle.

In meeting with Chiefs brass over the weekend, Green came to understand that Arrowhead’s patience with the Dolphins and him were dramatically fading. His public campaigning to get out of town had only solidified the Chiefs stance on this deal: they were not going to give him away. It was time for the Dolphins to put up and Green to shut up.

If Green holds up physically, the Chiefs will get a fourth-round pick, which in recent years has brought players like Jared Allen and Donnie Edwards. Not every fourth rounder works out, but the odds are greatly increased that they have enough ability to make a contribution.

In the end, here’s what the Dolphins and Green learned: despite the analysis of pundits and even Green’s own agent, the Chiefs had all the leverage in this situation. They had Green, had him under contract, and were willing to carry his price tag. They were not going to give him away.

They stuck to their guns, the Dolphins blinked and now everybody gets to move on.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/06/06/gretz_finally/

Hammock Parties
06-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Haha. The King called their bluff. PWNED.

shaneo69
06-10-2007, 08:20 AM
The tone of this article pretty much explains why I have no respect whatsoever for Peterson/Gretz.

shaneo69
06-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Miami could have had Green for a sixth-round choice on the first day of the NFL Draft, but they wouldn’t swap positions in the third round. That 11-spot movement along with the sixth rounder would have given the Chiefs fourth-round value, while the Dolphins could have said they gave up only a sixth. It was a win-win and they said no.

I've seen Gretz mention this several times now. Can someone please explain who the Dolphins would be addressing when saying that they gave up only a 6th rounder in this scenario? Their fans?

Sorry Gretz. When you swap 3rd round picks AND give up a 6th round pick, fans aren't stupid enough to believe that you only gave up a 6th.

shaneo69
06-10-2007, 08:29 AM
That compensation will rise to a fourth-round pick if Green plays more than 70 percent of the offensive snaps for Miami. Only injury will keep that from happening, so the Chiefs will get a fourth-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

I like how Gretz is so sure of himself here.

This would be true if he still played for the Chiefs. No matter how crappy he played, and how crappy the season was going, the Chiefs would stick with him until a) he got injured, or b) the season ended.

However, I'm willing to bet that when the Dolphins start out 1-6 and Green is having a crappy year, Cameron will hear the screaming of the fan base and switch to Beck.

milkman
06-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Sorry Gretz. When you swap 3rd round picks AND give up a 6th round pick, fans aren't stupid enough to believe that you only gave up a 6th.

You know, I would bet that about 70% of the average fans would believe it.

Not because they are stupid, but because they are uninformed.

Mr. Laz
06-10-2007, 08:37 AM
congrats to carl ....... it turned out better than it could of.

but he also created much of this mess himself.

personally i would of held on to Trent longer ....... i still think someone will get hurt.

blueballs
06-10-2007, 08:38 AM
a article on the mess in Miami
comparing how Green was treated
and Culpepper is being treated
would carry more weight

The Bad Guy
06-10-2007, 09:03 AM
The tone of this article pretty much explains why I have no respect whatsoever for Peterson/Gretz.

Exactly.

They are making it seem they won some huge standoff.

I'll bet a lot of money that if the Dolphins suck come November, Beck will get the snaps and that 70% tag won't happen - meaning the Dolphins then win.

It's nice that teams like the Patriots and Colts beat their chests over winning Super Bowls.

This organization thinks it won the SB by getting a 4th rounder.

Spott
06-10-2007, 09:08 AM
The only question I have about this article is whether or not Gretz wrote this while he was under CP's desk or if he waited until afterwards.

mikey23545
06-10-2007, 09:11 AM

Just burns your ass Carl pulled this off, doesn't it?....

PunkinDrublic
06-10-2007, 09:18 AM
I think Carl was also able to use Atlanta for leverage as well. If Atlanta comes in and makes a better offer for Green and we take it Miami is left high and dry and wasted all that time negotiating for Green only to get nothing.

Buehler445
06-10-2007, 09:30 AM
I am 9 kinds of happy that the trade got done. I also have to congratulate Peterson for getting it done and for more than a 6th. However, it seems like CP wrote the article, and Gretz published it to his name. This sounded like a CP Press conference.

Tribal Warfare
06-10-2007, 09:36 AM
it seems like CP wrote the article, and Gretz published it to his name. This sounded like a CP Press conference.

When is this not the case?

Buehler445
06-10-2007, 10:16 AM
When is this not the case?

Point taken.

htismaqe
06-10-2007, 10:22 AM

Yep.

the Talking Can
06-10-2007, 10:28 AM
http://www.2goglobal.com/2GoChronicals/2%20Go%20Photos/Africa/Kenya/lion_eating_close.jpg

Carl concludes his negotiations with Miami.

the Talking Can
06-10-2007, 10:30 AM
what a bunch of red asses

Carl did a good job for once, just admit it and move on...

Delano
06-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Exactly.

I'll bet a lot of money that if the Dolphins suck come November, Beck will get the snaps and that 70% tag won't happen - meaning the Dolphins then win.

It's nice that teams like the Patriots and Colts beat their chests over winning Super Bowls.

I can't speak for the organization but I feel that this transaction was successful because it helps carry the team in the direction they want to go. Building a quality roster through the draft and smart free agency moves. A super bowl? No. Another step in the right direction? Yes.

Even if we get a fifth rounder in 2008 from Trent, who knows what may fall in the Chiefs' lap? If the Dolphins do indeed go with Beck, that pick could be very high in the fifth. I'd say that is worth more than a lame duck QB garnering negative attention.

mikey23545
06-10-2007, 10:44 AM
http://www.2goglobal.com/2GoChronicals/2%20Go%20Photos/Africa/Kenya/lion_eating_close.jpg

Carl concludes his negotiations with Miami.

Ok, I blew some coffee out my nose on that one....Repworthy.

kcxiv
06-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Tone of the article was great, i Rather have a hard ass GM then a softy.

Direckshun
06-10-2007, 11:26 AM

What the **** are you talking about?

Seriously. What the **** are you talking about?

Chiefaholic
06-10-2007, 11:33 AM
The Chiefs could have traded Green for two 1st round picks and certain people on this board would still bitch. Carl got reasonable compensation for a well respected QB who had no more than two years left befor retirement. It's about damn time we got something in return, rather than being left empty handed when star players move on.

shaneo69
06-10-2007, 01:48 PM

Pulled what off?

Acquiring a 5th rounder?

Keep drinkin' the Kool-Aid...

shaneo69
06-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Tone of the article was great, i Rather have a hard ass GM then a softy.

I just find it funny that a trade for a 5th round pick merits three articles on the official site to praise the king for such a job well done.

Warrior5
06-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I just find it funny that a trade for a 5th round pick merits three articles on the official site to praise the king for such a job well done.

If you want to bag on Gretz for being CPs chogey boy, fire away by all means.

But like him or not, Carl did good on this one. The media painted Carl and Green as the bad guys during this issue, but in reality the Dolphins were being the ass-hats.

I'm glad Carl stood firm.

kcxiv
06-10-2007, 02:22 PM
not me, becuase its still the offseason.

The Rick
06-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I wish I could find the thread that was active when the talk of trading Green first surface. MANY here said things like:

1. We'll never get more than a 7th rounder for someone we're likely going to cut.

2. Carl should be happy to get a 6th or 7th for him.

3. Getting anything more than a 6th for him would be a steal.

Now that Carl goes out and gets something that will more than likely be a 4th, he's still being ripped. :shake:

Oregon chief
06-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Anybody have the article posted on espn about larry johnson catching more balls out of the backfield next season. Its for insiders

ChiefsCountry
06-10-2007, 03:36 PM
I really dont get all the Gretz bashing. I guarantee everybody here would write an ass kissing article about your boss for the company's website.

The Bad Guy
06-10-2007, 03:49 PM
I can't speak for the organization but I feel that this transaction was successful because it helps carry the team in the direction they want to go. Building a quality roster through the draft and smart free agency moves. A super bowl? No. Another step in the right direction? Yes.

Even if we get a fifth rounder in 2008 from Trent, who knows what may fall in the Chiefs' lap? If the Dolphins do indeed go with Beck, that pick could be very high in the fifth. I'd say that is worth more than a lame duck QB garnering negative attention.

My post had nothing to do with what we received for Trent Green.

It has everything to do with the organization putting out a story on the team's website gloating about how tough Carl Peterson is.

I'm tired of the chickenshit articles this website produces. The content is the worst I've ever seen on a team's official homepage.

Saleenman607
06-10-2007, 03:52 PM
I believe the smart move for the Chiefs would have been to lead Mr. Green to believe he would start this year (naming him the starter/status quo if you will) and in doing so (assuming Mr. Croyle will take the helm) you have a credible back-up. Thats not to be-little Mr. Huard but, Teamwise.........we'd have the same 3 QBs.

penchief
06-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Exactly.

I think this is a slight exaggeration. However, I will agree that Carl has the right to answer back and Gretz has the right to defend Peterson's stance throughout the negotiations considering that everybody in the national media jumped on the "chiefs are mistreating Green and depriving the dolphins" bandwagon.

Carl Peterson took a lot of abuse when he was in the right. The other parties in the standoff used the media to paint Carl as the bad guy. I don't have a problem with him using the media to say "I told you so" after all that crap.

htismaqe
06-10-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm tired of the chickenshit articles this website produces. The content is the worst I've ever seen on a team's official homepage.

So ignore them, like everybody else on the face of the Earth except shane.

GoHuge
06-10-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm just glad it's done and over with.

I did expect a Carl chest thumping article of some kind. This was just par for the course for CP and Gretz.

Toad
06-10-2007, 11:19 PM
The Trent Green trade is a win for Carl. Period.

The Chiefs win with the fact alone that we won't fork out any part of $7.2mm salary let alone not taking the cap hit on his acclerated signing bonus when we would have cut him.

The draft pick compensation is gravy...regardless of what round it is.

KcMizzou
06-10-2007, 11:25 PM
I think this is a slight exaggeration. However, I will agree that Carl has the right to answer back and Gretz has the right to defend Peterson's stance throughout the negotiations considering that everybody in the national media jumped on the "chiefs are mistreating Green and depriving the dolphins" bandwagon.

Carl Peterson took a lot of abuse when he was in the right. The other parties in the standoff used the media to paint Carl as the bad guy. I don't have a problem with him using the media to say "I told you so" after all that crap.Yep.

Logical
06-11-2007, 12:10 AM

It has everything to do with the organization putting out a story on the team's website gloating about how tough Carl Peterson is.

Exactly just like I get tired of GoChiefs fluffing LJ I get tired of Gretz fluffing Carl Peterson.

Logical
06-11-2007, 12:13 AM
By the way it is to early to judge whether we win. If Croyle and Huard don't work out then it will have been a failure. It is a gamble but gamble worth taking.

Hammock Parties
06-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Exactly just like I get tired of GoChiefs fluffing LJ I get tired of Gretz fluffing Carl Peterson.

Gretz ain't got shit on me.

kcxiv
06-11-2007, 12:52 AM
By the way it is to early to judge whether we win. If Croyle and Huard don't work out then it will have been a failure. It is a gamble but gamble worth taking.
what if Trent doesnt work out in Miami? is it still a failure? What if he doesnt regain his form? he is 37 after all.

DaneMcCloud
06-11-2007, 01:56 AM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

DTLB58
06-11-2007, 06:37 AM
I really dont get all the Gretz bashing. I guarantee everybody here would write an ass kissing article about your boss for the company's website.

ROFL True, so True :clap:

the Talking Can
06-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Gretz ain't got shit on me.

true, he doesn't swallow...

Reerun_KC
06-11-2007, 06:46 AM
How is this still news?
http://www.stadtaus.com/demos/guestbook_en/templates/default/images/smilies/smiley_bored.gif

Dartgod
06-11-2007, 07:24 AM
We got a 5th, possibly a 4th round pick for a QB that does not figure into the future of this team. How that could be looked upon as a failure is beyond me.

Reerun_KC
06-11-2007, 07:26 AM
We got a 5th, possibly a 4th round pick for a QB that does not figure into the future of this team. How that could be looked upon as a failure is beyond me.

True, but how can this article look like nothing but a huge swallow job is beyond me...

Dartgod
06-11-2007, 07:51 AM
If all people can bitch about is CP thumping his chest for a deal he made, then he must be doing a good job.

I am by no means a CP fan, but he's done a very good job with personnel decisions the last 2-3 years. Hopefully that will get us where we want to be.

stevieray
06-11-2007, 07:53 AM
True, but how can this article look like nothing but a huge swallow job is beyond me...

do you really think that every article is supposed to make you happy?

Reerun_KC
06-11-2007, 08:33 AM
do you really think that every article is supposed to make you happy?

Actually, I dont base my happiness from articles written on sports teams websites or the ChiefsPlanet...

stevieray
06-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Actually, I dont base my happiness from articles written on sports teams websites or the ChiefsPlanet...

then wouldn't it be fair to say that you can't lay your uhappiness at the feet of these articles?

Messier
06-11-2007, 08:37 AM

I think the problem is that no one needs to point out that the Kansas City Chiefs OFFICIAL web site is going to be pro Chiefs, it's sort of implied by it being the Chiefs web site and all.

htismaqe
06-11-2007, 08:38 AM

Croyle and Huard have NO BEARING on the Green trade whatsoever. The only thing that matters is how much Green has left in the tank.

The Rick
06-11-2007, 09:22 AM

I usually agree with and have a lot of respect for your posts, but I can't agree with you on this one. What do you expect? Something that says Carl is a cross-dressing pansy?

Every company in the world posts "chickenshit" articles about themselves or someone in their organization all the time. Kansas City Chiefs, Inc. is no different...

Simply Red
06-11-2007, 09:32 AM
RIIICCCOOOLLLAA!!!

R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S!

crazycoffey
06-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Carl's the bomb, he did what he needed to do and it worked out better than many of us thought it would.

BTW, why is this still being discussed/argued about?

The better question is, why did I just jump into it......

Reerun_KC
06-11-2007, 09:39 AM
then wouldn't it be fair to say that you can't lay your uhappiness at the feet of these articles?

Not unhappy... Actually I find it very commical that they think the fans of the Chiefs are so nieve that we would believe anything that Gretz writes...

Sure-Oz
06-11-2007, 09:39 AM

The stories suck and all seem to be fluff, but i expect no better from a team's homepage which is 100% biased.

Reerun_KC
06-11-2007, 09:40 AM
The better question is, why did I just jump into it......

Do you really need to ask that?

jidar
06-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Oh look at the Chiefs bashers, it's all the usual suspects.

Carl basically pulled this off beautifully and you guys can't stand it so you find something else to bitch about.

YACK YAACK YACK YACK YACK YACKETY YACK YACK

Eleazar
06-11-2007, 09:46 AM
I don't understand why anyone reads the crap on the Chiefs' official site, let alone takes time out of their lives to read it and then become pissed off at it and rant about it on a message board.

Who cares? If it pisses you off don't read it. I can't remember ever reading a column from there that wasn't posted here.

It's hilarious to me that people waste time and energy worrying about what Carl's mouthpiece is writing. Utterly hilarious.

Just do what I do, show up on Sundays during the season and watch the game.

stevieray
06-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Not unhappy... Actually I find it very commical that they think the fans of the Chiefs are so nieve that we would believe anything that Gretz writes...

so now you've switched to reading their minds?

:rolleyes:

Reerun_KC
06-11-2007, 09:49 AM
so now you've switched to reading their minds?

:rolleyes:

Do what?

This is like having a conversation with the nieghbors dog... Just doesnt make sense...

htismaqe
06-11-2007, 09:50 AM
I don't understand why anyone reads the crap on the Chiefs' official site, let alone takes time out of their lives to read it and then become pissed off at it and rant about it on a message board.

Who cares? If it pisses you off don't read it. I can't remember ever reading a column from there that wasn't posted here.

It's hilarious to me that people waste time and energy worrying about what Carl's mouthpiece is writing. Utterly hilarious.

Just do what I do, show up on Sundays during the season and watch the game.

Exactly.

In fact, I think the last time I actually visited KCChiefs.com was last spring after the draft to see some video on Hali.

stevieray
06-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Do what?

This is like having a conversation with the nieghbors dog... Just doesnt make sense...

Did you or did you not just proclaim to know what they think about Chiefs fans?

not unhappy? I suggest revisiting your posts since Herm arrived.

Reerun_KC
06-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Did you or did you not just proclaim to know what they think about Chiefs fans?

not unhappy? I suggest revisiting your posts since Herm arrived.

How does calling an article a huge Gretz swallow job of Carl proclaim vast knowledge of how they feel about your money?

Second? Unhappy? Have you been posting or lurking much Stevie?

Wile_E_Coyote
06-11-2007, 11:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2898323

ATLANTA -- Reacting to the ongoing investigation of Michael Vick (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5448), and to the perceived fatigue that has set in on fans here as the almost daily news updates surrounding the team's star player continue, Atlanta Falcons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=atl) officials on Friday dispatched a letter to season-ticket patrons asking for patience, prudence and understanding.
http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/65x90/5448.jpgVick
In addition, Vick announced on a Web site that he is canceling his annual football camp, scheduled for June 30-July 3, because of "scheduling issues."

The letter, signed by Falcons' owner Arthur Blank and team president/general manager Rich McKay, stressed that fans should permit the investigation to play out and not jump to any conclusions. It is essentially in line with a message Falcons management has publicly urged since the investigation, which is focusing on potential dogfighting on property that Vick owns in Virginia, but on which he does not reside, began in late April.

In part, the letter reads:

"Any time a player in our league -- and especially a Falcons player -- shows up in a negative light for any act, it is disappointing to us. While unsubstantiated to date, the current public situation concerning Michael Vick puts us in a particularly difficult spot because of the daily attention it is receiving in the media, and our inability to respond because we don't yet have all the facts with which to deal.

"We hope you understand it would be inappropriate and premature to make any definitive statements or take any action until we know the facts. Therefore, we are awaiting the outcome of the investigation just as you are. For the benefit of our fans, the Falcons and Michael, we hope there will be a quick and clear resolution to this matter so that we all can move forward.

"In the meantime, we want you to realize there are many examples of our organization impacting our community in a very positive manner."

The letter then delineates the many charitable functions in which Atlanta players participate, and points out that the Atlanta Falcons Youth Foundation has to date provided more than $10 million in grants to Georgia-based nonprofit organizations.

"Over the past five years," the letter finishes, "we have worked hard to build a winning team and a respected franchise for our fans and the Atlanta community. You have responded in a positive manner, and we thank you for your support and loyalty. We respectfully ask for your understanding as we work through our current situation."

Vick's annual camp, which he has held for the past several years, was to have taken place at the Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Va. On the Web site, which was shut down late in the afternoon, the cancellation of the camp was announced, with a statement that deposits and refunds would be processed immediately.

"To all campers, Michael Vick and his staff apologize for any inconvenience," the short announcement said.

Calls to Vick's private attorney, Larry Woodward, were not returned.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.