PDA

View Full Version : Alright Here's Your Chance To Live Up To your Reputation!

philfree
07-10-2001, 02:21 PM
I just bought my first smoker and I'm looking for some tips on smoking pork butts, turkeys and who knows what. Being that K.C. is known for its b-b-q and such I figure I can get some pretty good advice. Thanks in advance! But keep in mind I'm comparing notes with my friends who live in N. Bama so your reputation is at stake!

PhilFree:cool:

58Forever
07-10-2001, 02:41 PM
All I know is "long and slow" usually means you get good taste and tender meat.....

Now if you want to know about smoking other substances I might be able to help you....:cool:

Phobia
07-10-2001, 03:09 PM
I'm a novice, but here are some real and uh, sarcastic tips:

1. After you have your fire strong, place some of the wood of your choice into the coals, but only after soaking it in water for 24 hours. This allows it to burn more slowly and it produces more smoke flavor than unsoaked wood. Do not soak ALL your wood - only a few, select pieces.

2. Inject your meat with your marinade of choice.

3. Longer, low heat is MUCH better than the alternative.

4. Start fire first, THEN place meat inside - you have no idea how much meat I've eaten that tastes like lighter fluid.

5. Since you are planning in advance by soaking your wood, marinate your meat for at least 24 hours as well.

6. Many people will season & marinate their meat and sear it either on a hot fire or a pan to seal that flavor in. This is fine for grilling, but it also seals flavor OUT - not exactly desirable for smoking.

7. If you are planning to smoke a turkey - don't. Fried turkey in peanut oil is 10 times better anyway.....

8. The smoke will rarely penetrate THICK slabs of meat. If you have more than 2.5", slice it thinner.

seclark
07-10-2001, 03:20 PM
kphobia...you said "soak your wood"...heheheheh
sec
beer makes the best chip soaker.
jam sliced apples in the turkey.
the slower you go and the less you check on your meat, the better.
i have a holland gas grill and a smoker. just place the wood chips over the low flame...eliminates the lighter fluid taste.
mmmmmmm!!!! sec loves all kinds of things smoked!!!
make sure the turkey is thawed properly...or else you might develope a case of the turkey scours.

sec
~hope this makes sense...been having back spasms all day and just popped a couple valium about an hour ago and am feeling kinda relaxed.

Radar Chief
07-10-2001, 04:38 PM
OK, here it goes.
1. Mesquite or hickory works fine and can be bought at several stores that sell charcoal and other grilling stuff. The best secret: if you have a friend that’s chopping down an old apple or peach tree, snag some of the wood. It’s great for smoking and adds just a hint of the fruit it once bore to the flavor of the meat.
2. Since your soaking you wood overnight, marinade the meat over night also, in your choice of spices. (I usually include beer with whatever other spices are handy.)
3. Don’t forget the water pan. Smoking without water only makes jerky. By the way, the water pan is a good place to use the left over marinade. Pineapple juice is another good one for the water pan.
4. I like to place the meat close to the water pan so it remains moist, gets more steam from the marinade (beer, pineapple juice, etc.) and thus more of that flavor to go with the smoke.
5. A little trick for smoking a turkey that a friend of mine taught me. Take a 1lb coffee can, fill it with your marinade, and stuff it up the turkey’s butt. Use the coffee can and the turkey’s legs to prop it upright in your smoker. The marinade boils inside the turkey spreading the flavor throughout the meat and helps keep it moist.
6. As already stated, long and slow is the way to go.

Well, that’s about all I can think of right now.
Good luck with your first attempt.

Skip Towne
07-10-2001, 05:52 PM
I haven't lived near KC for several years & have become Bryant's challenged so I'm not sure if it is still this way.During the 80's, if you went to Bryant's ( 1700 block of Brooklyn) near old Municipal stadium, and ordered sauce to take out it came in a vinegar bottle.Now Arthur was not one to waste ( he gave the "burnt ends" to neighborhood youngsters). Kids who grew up to be Frank White (also known as *smooth* to hisRoyals teammates). But I still wonder what Arthur used all that vinegar for. Marinade possibly? Also, they tell me good bbq cooks use no sugar in the cooking process. Sugar burns easily and doesn't smell or taste good when burnt. If your sauce needs sugar, add it after the cooking process.

KS Smitty
07-10-2001, 07:38 PM
We usually smoke a brisket on memorial weekend for the campout gang. We don't marinate it we just rub it with chopped garlic, salt (lots of both) and Mrs. Dash. We then wrap it in aluminum foil and place it on the smoker. It usually takes about 6 hours, we try to remember our meat theremometer and if it tests about 160 it's done to perfection. The big thing we've found is to not put the meat on until the "thermometer" on the smoker is at ideal and keep it in that area the whole time. On turkey we usually put a whole apple inside him/her. I've also heard (never got to try cuz Mrs. Smitty hates beer) that if you take a can of beer and take a healty drink outta it and stick it in the bird (and stand the bird upright) that it gives it a really good flavor too. I have to agree with Kphobia though the best and fastest way to cook a turkey is to fry him/her in peanut oil. Also temps for poultry should be in the 180 degree range.

Smitty

bishop_74
07-10-2001, 07:56 PM
I really don't know much about B-B-Q exept what I like. I wa just wondering if someone could PLEASE come to Texas to show these Yahoo's what REAL B-B-Q is. They seem to think that Texas has better B-B-Q than KC... WTF!!!

Bishop's_Girl
07-10-2001, 08:07 PM
My poor disillusioned boy. Forgive him guys, he only knows what he has grown up with. I have learned to humor him though and act polite when he offers me some of the sauce that his Mom has sent him from Hayward’s. Needless to say, we are having our wedding rehearsal dinner at The Salt Lick here in AUSTIN.

bishop_74
07-10-2001, 08:10 PM
Damn... you give a girl a diamond and her true colors really shine!!! Let this be a lesson to anyone whom has yet to pop the question.:cool:

P.S. Don't let them fool you, it's all a farce...

KS Smitty
07-10-2001, 08:17 PM
At least she has her own identity, not like some sneaky woman I know!

philfree
07-10-2001, 11:20 PM
This is all good! I appreciate the tips, info, or what ever you want to call it. I'll be glad to take on any other teachins that might come my way so y'all keep it up. My mouth is shut as my keyboard is quiet and all I want to do is learn.

PhilFree :cool:
Some Wisdom- I f your mouth is open your ears are closed! So how could you learn anything! Shut up and listen. And learn!

Alton deFlat
07-11-2001, 08:12 AM
Wood chips give grilled food great smoky flavors. Soak chips in water for about an hour beforehand, so they don't burn, then put them on the coals. You might try mesquite, hickory and cherry wood. You can also try soaking and draining dried or fresh herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme, bay leaves, etc), then sprinkling them on hot coals right before cooking.

Stryker
07-11-2001, 08:49 AM
KPhobia hit the nail on the head. His method is the best. My wife bought me a Smoker right after we got married and the "couple" of times I used it I used KPhobia's method.

I hate cooking on a smoker so much that I ended up giving it to my wifes best friend. When it comes to outdoor cooking, I love the grill. And not one of those gas grills mind ya, It is charcoal for me. I cook steaks, chicken, sausage, pork chops, fish you name it. We have competitions in the neighborhood to determine who is Grill Master! :D

Ever see that McCormicks grill marinades commercial where the guy has the tear drop comming from his eye? I see that everytime I cook on the grill ;)

I like using the KC Masterpiece liquid marinades and the KC Masterpiece Bar-B-Que sauce both have great flavor. I use mesquite for pork chops, steaks and chicken. When preping steaks, I like to rub the butter into the steaks before seasoning. This helps keep the meat tender.

Phobia
07-11-2001, 08:53 AM
Wow, a guy from Baton Rouge pimping my food preparation technique. I've finally accomplished something!!!

Stryker, did you go to that Chiefs preseason game in N.O. 4 years ago?

Stryker
07-11-2001, 09:13 AM
KPhobia:

Yes I did. The wife and I had good seats around the 38 yard line. It was embarrassing loosing to the Saints but we kept yelling our arses off and telling ourselves its only preseason. After the game we strolled down Burbon street and drank our (KC's) loss away! :D However, I must confess it was really fun being in a KC jersey in a sea of black and gold.

I am glad to see Houston got a new franchise so I have another chance to see the Chiefs. I only get the chance to see KC when they play here (New Orleans) and now in Houston. Dallas, Tennessee and Atlanta are too far away. I keep waiting for the Chiefs to align a Super Bowl with the year that New Orleans has it. To me that would be the ultimate!

As for your grill tips... hey in this state/area you better be able to cook! Most people associate Louisiana with cooking and they are right! :cool:

Phobia
07-11-2001, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I made that drive, too. I had decent seats but met up w/ my uncle & family from Mississippi (originally from KC) and they didn't. So, I was in the nosebleeds. Some guys started heckling me after the game and I shut them up by asking where the paper bags normally over their heads were....

I know about LA cooking, that's why I considered your post a compliment. I was in Lafayette last week and ate at Riverside Po Boys - I try to hit that place every time I'm in that area. I don't make it to BR nearly as often and am still looking for a restaurant "staple" there. I'm sure you can help me, right?

Lightning Rod
07-11-2001, 10:22 AM
Just a couple of small things that seem to work well

When smoking a turkey always use a double wide paper.... No thats not it. ......
If you put a stick or two of butter in the cavity it helps keep the bird moist.

Speaking of Turkey I have a friend that always cooks a turkey on the top rack and puts the Ribs on the bottom. All the juices drip on the ribs while they are cooking. It works very well.

Stryker
07-11-2001, 10:49 AM
KPhobia:

Riverside is an excellent Po-Boy place but next time your in New Orleans try the Louisiana Seafood Exchange. As for "staple" resturants in Baton Rouge... Ralph & Kacoo's, T.J. Ribs, Ruth's Chris, Juban's, Mansuers, Mike Anderson's, Hunan's and Don's Seafood all come to mind. Baton Rouge seems to have a plethora of Chinese and Lebanese cuisine as well.

I personally like Midendorf's on bayou Manshac. In New Orleans there is Commander's Palace, Emerils, Brenens, Louisiana Seafood Exchange and any number of places out on Lake Ponchtrain.

Phobia
07-11-2001, 10:58 AM
I believe Riverside's began as a family run Po-Boy place, but it has evolved into the finest dining in Lafayette now. Nearly everything they have is killer and they even have an Emu appetizer....

I've been to Ralph & Kakoo's, Ruth's, and maybe a couple other BR establishments but I'll try to check out the others next time I'm in town.

There is a cajun restaurant in BR run by a former Redskin's player - Brunets? Is that it? It's not too bad either.

Stryker
07-11-2001, 11:18 AM
I can't believe I forgot about the Chimes near LSU. They have the best aligator and a VARIETY of beers from around the world. I had ostrich at the Ralph & Kacoos on Toulouse Street (before they were bought out by Picadilly ;) ) in New Orleans. All this talk of food is making my stomach growl :p

I'm off to lunch!

Oh and yes Brunet's (on Flannery) is still here. Best damn crab balls around! Pure Cajun Cuisine.

Phobia
07-11-2001, 11:22 AM
Chimes sounds like my kind of place!

That's where I'll be eating my next time in town....