PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back Derrick Alexander!

kcfan
08-19-2001, 05:20 AM
Good to see DA catching some passes. I'm starting to think Ricks will be the x factor for our offense this season. He's an unknown weapon we are using very nicely. Defense did well and I'm particularly happy with Warfield's killer attitude. We didn't score alot of points but there were plenty of positives to be happy about but not ST and the penalty factor. I can't wait to see the starters in whole game when the coaching staff actually has a game plan. Jax should be that game for us.

KCFAN
Still thinks this team will go past expectations.

milkman
08-19-2001, 05:44 AM
Who's expectations? The experts?

They really don't have to do a great deal to exceed those expectations, since they are picked to finish 4th or last by the majority of experts.

Warrior5
08-19-2001, 06:43 AM
Agreed...DA came back with a vengeance. To add to some of the stupid penalty calls by the refs (like Brister's "head bob"), the ruling on DAs incomplete was horrible. I saw the same thing on every replay: both hands on the ball, no bobbling, then the ball rolling loose <I>after</I> DA was completely down.
Just a note on that throw: DA easily had his man beat; if Green had tossed it deeper instead of short, that was 6 points.

Brock
08-19-2001, 11:23 AM
True, Green did underthrow the ball. Alexander had to wait for it.

keg in kc
08-19-2001, 11:29 AM
My first thought on that pass play is Green's/Alexander's rehabbing/injuries this summer. They still haven't had a whole heck of a lot of time working together, and I thought their timing might be a little off on the longer stuff because of that. We shouldn't see many underthrows like that two or three weeks from now if both guys stay healthy and continue to get more familiar with each other. I think Green certainly has the arm strength to get it to him on a play like that...

That was still a pathetic overturn call by the refs though. If anything, the replays I saw were inconclusive, and it looked like a clear catch to me. That did seem to fire up both DA, and Green as well. He was on fire in that series...

htismaqe
08-19-2001, 01:36 PM
Green clearly underthrew that ball because he hesitated and double-pumped. I agree with Keg that timing, more than arm strength, was probably the contributor.

LapDog
08-19-2001, 07:53 PM
Maybe Green under-threw because he's used to DA in practice. Maybe he never realized that DA was so fast until now. ;)

I agree w/KEG on the inconclusive thing. The ruling on the field should stand based on the replays I saw. Personally, I'm pretty sure he didn't have control of the ball when it hit the ground, but not sure enough to reverse the decision.

htismaqe
08-19-2001, 07:54 PM
I guess I'm in the minority on this one.

I never thought he demonstrated possession of the ball before it hit the ground...you know, the old "3 second" rule...

keg in kc
08-19-2001, 08:01 PM
I thought it was a "one second rule" Parker.

Looking at it from a neutral perspective, I still don't see how it was overturned. There must have been an angle he had that I didn't, because I didn't see an indication of juggling before DA hit the ground, and in that instance the call should have stayed as is, i.e. a catch, because the ground can't cause a fumble.

Doesn't matter, in the end, we scored on the drive anyway...

LapDog
08-19-2001, 08:04 PM
htismaqe-

I agree that he never demonstrated posession. If there is a 3-second rule, then I agree the replay WAS conclusive and it should have been overturned. I just wasn't aware of a 3-second rule.

htismaqe
08-20-2001, 05:32 AM
A receiver has to clearly demonstrate possession. I had always heard that the referees considered 3 seconds a clear demonstration. I could be wrong. I just thought it was an incomplete pass.

mcan
08-20-2001, 06:24 AM
At the game, they didn't show a good replay, but possession, I believe is just showing control or tucking the ball in as long as you get two feet down in bounds. Also, the ground can not cause a fumble, nor negate possession. However, if I understand the rules correctly, if the receiver gets the ball knocked out of his hands by a defender then I believe its a matter of two seconds before it's considered a fumble as opposed to an incomplete pass. So, since they were tied up going down, the ref must have thought the defender caused the ball to slip out and NOT the ground.

htismaqe
08-20-2001, 06:27 AM
That could very well be. I thought, just by looking at the replays on TV, that the ball was loose BEFORE he hit the ground...

mcan
08-20-2001, 06:30 AM
Like I said, I couldn't see it very well, but if it's loose AS he's coming down then it's a no brainer incomplete pass. Of course Derrick's and Vermeil's comments after the game said otherwise, but they stick up for each other more than I stick up for Mazlowski:D

htismaqe
08-20-2001, 07:26 AM
I guess to me, unless it's a CLEARLY bad call, I don't like splitting hairs. Let's just play the game and kick some ***, so that one bad call doesn't kill us...

aturnis
08-20-2001, 08:13 AM
I just hope he can stick it up and stay healthy. I'm sure this will be another awesome year for him, but I'm skeptical of how much the OC plans to use him in this offense. I don't think they are impressed with his practice and questions his realiability in the season. In any matter DA will come through as the big WR we need in this offense, I can just picture him running down those sidelines now.

Phobia
08-20-2001, 08:27 AM
The way I saw it was DA caught the ball with the defender's arm in the "mix". He fell down, hit his butt and was down. Then as the rest of his body was crashing to the turf, the defender came through him and jarred the ball loose a bit - but, he was already down. Obviously, that's a homer's perspective.