PDA

View Full Version : Update on replacement refs in NYJ vs. Philly...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2001, 06:29 PM
So far, so good. Although, I counted 2 false start calls that should have been called. But so far, its not that bad...I guess...

Its the game between the Jets and Eagles.

I'm gonna continue to watch this to see how they do...

CG

BTW, Boomer didn't catch the blown false start calls due to more talking and less looking at the game...goof.

Anyway...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2001, 06:50 PM
Also, I heard on ESPN, that if the replacement refs do a good job this weekend, then the NFL has the leverage, if vice versa, then the refs have the leverage on the negotiations.

CG

I hope everything works out for the best!:(

morphius
08-30-2001, 07:19 PM
They talked about the same thing on 810 yesterday and really they were saying that if they start the season they should finish the season as well, and that Tag should tell them that. But if the replacements do a good job it would be fun to watch that jackball of an agent beg.

philfree
08-30-2001, 07:24 PM
I've been listening to some of the games and so far there hasn't been a glitch. No long breaks in between plays from confusion or anything like that. I'm not sure I've heard a penalty call yet though but I haven't been listening long.

PhilFree :cool:

morphius
08-30-2001, 07:43 PM
You also need to remember that these guys are also out to prove that they are good enough to be NFL refs, and the better they do now the more likely they will be to get moved up when this contract dispute is finished.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2001, 07:44 PM
I have a question...

When the QB gets sacked, you don't stop the clock, do you?

I didn't think so. The officials screwed up that call, if it would of been in the final minutes or seconds of a meaningful game, that would suck.

And FWIW, I see why MNF let Esiason go...the guy sucks at commentating.

Anyway, I wanna use this opportunity to express how I feel about this lockout issue...

GET THIS FREAKIN THING OVER WITH BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks...that felt good.

morphius
08-30-2001, 07:44 PM
Cody - You do stop the clock after the QB is sacked, they called it right.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2001, 07:48 PM
But I've seen many games that had the refs keep the clock going!

morphius
08-30-2001, 07:50 PM
Cody - Then the regulars screwed up, but after a sack the clock stops. Not for a long time mind you, but it does stop.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2001, 07:51 PM
Oh...yes, you're right.:)

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2001, 07:54 PM
I still say that the league better get something done by the start of the regular season...

I want the NFL to be the NFL...no replacement nothing. If you know what I mean.

morphius
08-30-2001, 07:59 PM
Cody - So you have no real complaints other then some things the regulars have messed up a bunch and yet you want the regualrs back. This is not the NBA where the refs control the games...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2001, 08:04 PM
It just doesn't feel right, Morph. It doesn't feel real. I want the NFL to be ALL NFL. You know what I mean?

Plus, I think the players feel the same way, but its a business, and thanks to Condon...

morphius
08-30-2001, 08:06 PM
Cody - I guess the game to me is the players, I could care less about the refs as long as they are not biased one way or the other and do their best to make sure the calls are right.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2001, 08:11 PM
I agree, Morph, that the game is all about the players, but I heard alot of the players say that they are worried about the protection of themselves and aren't secure that the replacements will give them the same protection...

Oh well, all in all, I agree. If the officials do good and don't blow too many big calls, that'll shut me up.;)

Chiefs Pantalones
08-30-2001, 08:15 PM
And I'll shut up right now so I won't annoy everyone about it:D

CG

is going to wait and see how this all pans out:)