PDA

View Full Version : "Down by Contact" Official Revenge?

AustinChief
12-04-2000, 09:40 AM
Ok, I heard "down by contact" 6 times this weekend (counting the 1 time in the Thursday night game.)

Methinks the officials are getting "revenge" on the league for using replay to second guess them by exploiting the rules on unreviewable plays?

------------------
Parker
[b]ChiefsPlanet Administrator</B>

Luzap
12-04-2000, 10:30 AM
I have to agree, It was called so many times over this last week, that it cannot be coincidence.

Down by Contact, unlike Holding or Pass Intereference, is NOT a subjective call. It can be and should be reviewed. What good is a replay system where a replay shows CLEAR and indisputable evidence that the call was wrong? This simply allows the refs to hide behind a bad call.

As with the 4 NFL 'apologies' to the Chiefs this year, 3 of them had DIRECT impacts on the outcome of the games and 2 of them were 'down by contact' rulings.

It is frustrating that lately it seems there are 3 teams on the field at one time.

kcneo
12-04-2000, 10:34 AM
That's what I've been saying this whole season. The refs are mad 'cuz replay shows how incompetant they are. Also, replay is a bad joke unless EVERY play is reviewable!

Baby Lee
12-04-2000, 11:14 AM
What kind of accountablity do the refs really have? Are they promoted or retained if they do a good job? Are they fired if they continue to screw up calls?

I know this is an idealistic thought, but chould they want was is best for the game? I know the purists are saying, the game should be decided by the players, not the refs. But we have seen quite a few instances in which a bad call has turned around a game, not only the Chiefs, but lots of others.

I think the numbers that I saw a couple of weeks ago stated the accuracy was about 65 - 70 percent. I personally don't feel that is really that bad, considering the angles that are cut-off during various plays.

------------------
Brian K.

It doesn't make a difference what temperature a room is, it's always room temperature.

[i]Steven Wright </I>