PDA

View Full Version : Leslie O'Neal coming back?

DaKCMan AP
09-13-2000, 11:06 PM
http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/chiefs98.pat,sports/3774c19f.913,.html

There are indications that the Chiefs are interested in re-signing veteran defensive end Leslie O'Neal. The Chiefs have been in contact with O'Neal's agent, and the sides were working toward agreement on a contract.

Asked whether the Chiefs and O'Neal would reach a deal soon, coach Gunther Cunningham said: "I can't tell you that right now."

The Chiefs recently released O'Neal from his contract. The Chiefs slashed his salary for the season from $3 million to $440,000, and O'Neal didn't report for any of the off-season workouts or training camp.

If he can strike a deal with the Chiefs, O'Neal would have the third-most career sacks of any active player. O'Neal has 1321/2 sacks. Only Carolina's Reggie White and Washington's Bruce Smith have more.

Also an update on the kicking situation. It would be nice to get another pass rushing weapon out there. Parten's highly expendable to make room for him. <P>

KCTitus
09-14-2000, 10:34 AM
With this announcement I think I will join the Cannibal bandwagon to fire Carl, Gun, and the three stooges. We do not need an old defensive lineman who does nothing for our future. I like Leslie but the defense is building for the future, we do not need to regress now.

This is a sad diversion attempt.

------------------
Jim Reynolds
Please no squiggles in my discussion zone!

flowergirl
09-14-2000, 10:48 AM
Nice. Defensive ends Hicks & Clemons each have 2 sacks after 2 weeks, and the Chiefs need a new kicker. WAIT! I KNOW!! Let's sign an ancient defensive end!

Problem solved?

Snapper
09-14-2000, 11:25 AM
Can he KICK?

58Forever
09-14-2000, 11:35 AM
Incredible.

More proof that there are bats flying around this organization's belfry. Why would we need to bring in O'Neil if the pass rush pressure is getting to the QB's to Gunther's satisfaction, as stated in recent interviews?

They could look at the dismal kicking/punting game.
They could look for a solid replacement for Szott.
They could look for a veteran CB.
Those things I could understand.

But no. Leslie O'Neil. To shore up an already efective pass rush. Sheesh!

Boise_Chief
09-14-2000, 11:39 AM
Guys - I think Clemons is injured. Couldn't this just be some additional help whilst Clemons is away or limited in his PT?

Smltheppl
09-14-2000, 11:45 AM
I'd like to get O'Neal back in the rotation. His legs can't carry him as long but he can still wreak havoc on occasion. If he's cheap it's a no-brainer.

There are no better kickers than Stoyo available right now that I've heard of. Perhaps there's a punter out there, but either way your talking about someone who would sign for the bare minimum, not someone we need cap space for. Signing O'Neal would not rule out a kicker. To think so is utterly ridiculous.

------------------
This is Clint's signature!! There are many like it but this one is Clint's!!

[This message has been edited by KC Jones (edited 09-14-2000).]