PDA

View Full Version : Can we start Tennessee off 0-2?

Cannibal
09-03-2000, 11:05 PM
Granted, it is a task that seems almost impossible. There are a lot of holes and this team needs to focus way more than they did today and eliminate mental errors. That is a tall order for next weeks game in Tennessee. What we have to do to be successful IMO:

1)Go in with a better offensive gameplan than "Establish the run." Establish your offense for goodness sakes. Let's stop this one dimentional crap. Like we did in our only successful drive of the preseason, start things up by throwing the ball. Quick pass patterns. Slants, outs, let's keep them off balance. We need to put points on the board and take the crowd out of it. We won't be able to do that by running it on the first 6 plays.

2)Expand the role of the Cat. Dude can play. Play him more. Get him the ball.

3)Tony G must be involved early. All the recievers need to concentrate, but we need Tony to really step up. 2 catches ain't gonna do it.

4)Establish some continuity in the ground game. Go with one guy. Get a rythm.

5)Defense must be more physical at the corner spots. If they insist on playing some zone, get into the right position. And for goodness sakes, tackle.

6)Make Air beat you. We must stop George. Apparently Buffalo did a very good job of that tonight.

We HAVE to minimize the mental breakdowns, go in with a sound plan, and execute. Can we send a second consecutive Super Bowl team to an 0-2 start? Highly doubtful. But I never give up hope. I am the eternal optimist. We have the talent, no one is expecting anything from us, we must execute...

milkman
09-03-2000, 11:16 PM
I was listening to the Tennesee/Buffalo game on the radio tonight - an absolute no-holds-barred battle that went right down to the wire. We have two hopes: (1) that Tennesee is so spent from the Bills game that we can ambush them, or (2) that they look past us and we can take advantage of it. Unfortunately, I don't look for either to happen or make a difference if they do.

I think next week will be very, very bad. Picking the Titans with my 15 in the office pool.

mikey23545
09-03-2000, 11:25 PM
Russ-

I don't think we are anywhere near Buffalo's defense. Hoping we can avoid an 0-4 start.

Cannibal
09-03-2000, 11:29 PM
I guess playing in Adelphia now is sort of like playing at Arrowhead used to be like. I agree, it doesn't look good. We have to go in there and play error free football, and when was the last time that happened? But I suppose in this age of parity, you never know...

AustinChief
09-03-2000, 11:30 PM
If we can not get to a pocket passer, how can we get to mobile passer? Albeit, Indy's OL our fantastic pass blockers, if we can not get better pressure we are in big trouble.

------------------
~Duckaholic~
[i]Shoot 'em in the lips</I>

Mike
09-03-2000, 11:31 PM
I'm optimistic, but I'll be picking the Titans in planetpicks. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

AustinChief
09-03-2000, 11:54 PM
In a word: NO...

We simply don't have the talent or the coaching, man per man...

kcred
09-04-2000, 12:08 AM
I actually think you have a better chance against Tennessee than you did against Indy.... as you matchup better.
On Offense....
<LI>Run at Kearse with a lead block... he is too quick to run away from, but can be had at the point of attack.
<LI>Throw early TE and FB screens... Tenn. overpersues alot and you need to stop their pass rush from teeing off.
<LI>Move TRich back to FB and play Moreau at TB. Tenn can be overpowered but the FB block is key to running against them.
On Defense....
<LI>Shoot the gaps with the DT's and make sure the LB's don't overpersue... George, for all his size, thrives on the cutback.
<LI>Gang tackle!! (Oakland learned that the hard way last year)
<LI>Bump and run the WR's.... MAKE McNair make plays to beat you.
<LI>Improve your kick coverage.
Tenn has excellent return packages....

Tenn 17
KC 13

[This message has been edited by hawaiianboy (edited 09-04-2000).]

Iron Chef
09-04-2000, 12:32 AM
Hawaiinboy,
Believe that is the first post I have ever agreed with you. Except the 17 Titans 13 Chiefs part. (Red till Dead for a reason)

You want to be the chiefs OC or Special Teams coach. Your thoughts have more merit than what ours produce on the field.

It is time, time for them to go!

[This message has been edited by Red Till Dead (edited 09-04-2000).]

svuba
09-04-2000, 12:39 AM
I don't see one positive aspect of defense, offense, or special teams that would keep us from getting absolutely killed.

Titans are an overall better team than the colts, and the colts almost murdered us at our own house. What will the titans do?

We couldn't score on one of the softest defenses in the league, at home no less. Yet somehow you think we can against the league's second or third best defense?

What are you seeing that I'm missing?

Fort Chief
09-04-2000, 12:41 AM
Anyone else notice that ex-Chief Gregg Favors had 3 tackles and 2 sacks for the Titans against Buffalo?

IMO, he would look pretty good in Bush's spot for the Chiefs right now.

kcred
09-04-2000, 12:48 AM
Red,

LOL...1st time you ever agreed with me? Come on (well it's a start)

I'll stick to coaching defense thank you... (not for KC mind you, I have standards you know)... as for offense... keep Jimmy Raye! He's a God!

AustinChief
09-04-2000, 01:45 AM
Nope. Not with the stooges and Derrick "Hands of Stone" Alexander. Oh, and don't forget "Mr. 2.5 ypc" himself, Bennett.

dabreeze
09-04-2000, 09:45 AM
No way the Chiefs beat Tenn. Grbac had trouble with a lousy Colts defense yesterday. Just wait until he feels the heat from the Titans. The Chiefs will be 1-3 after four games. I cant wait for the Michael Vick talk.

AustinChief
09-04-2000, 09:52 AM
Cannibal, I loved Favors when he was here. I wouldn't have minded keeping him

Ken - One fact
Favre QB Rating - 52.56
Grbac QB Rating - 68.79

dabreeze
09-04-2000, 09:58 AM
Bliss,

Fact thats most important: Both teams are 0-1. Another fact: No KC Playoff victories in seven years. IMO, both Packers and Chiefs are going down. However, the Packers were on top, the Chiefs have been wallowed in mediocrity for a decade.

Favors made some plays in the playoffs for the Titans. Again, poor development and decision by the Chiefs organization. They would rather have veteran castoffs than develop and play their young talent.

Fat Homer
09-04-2000, 09:59 AM
Favre - One SB ring, two SB appearances, 3 NFL MVPs

Grbac - errrrr, one slightly above-average season.

Favre is the only thing Green Bay has going for it. The Packers are a 7-9 team, with a 13-3 QB. KC, on the other hand, is a 6-10 team with a 8-8 QB.

If you want to smack Green Bay, don't use Brett Favre - you know you'd give your left teste to have a QB of that calibre (something KC has NEVER had). Smack on Chewie instead. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/eek.gif

AustinChief
09-04-2000, 10:04 AM
HC - A body part for a QB who will probably never get back to normal average play status.... I don't think so.

dabreeze
09-04-2000, 10:19 AM
HC and Bliss,

The Packers have two QBs that are better than Elvis: Hasselbeck and Favre. Bliss, I know you think Elvis is better than Favre, regardless of how many MVPs and Super Bowls Favre has. Ignorance is Bliss - no pun intended.

I told you guys in April that teams like the
Eagles, Bears, Bengals, Lions, and Vikings are ahead of the Chiefs because they have playmakers at the most important position. You laughed at me. By the end of the season, you will agree with me. Statues like Aikman, Grbac, Vinnie, and Marino are a thing of the past. Maybe the Chiefs backup can come in and make plays. Oh, I forgot, the chiefs have a 43 year old grandpa as a backup.

AustinChief
09-04-2000, 10:23 AM
Ken, Even if I agree with you, I will still be laughing at you.

AustinChief
09-04-2000, 12:22 PM
My guess: Titans 38 Chiefs 10

Warrior5
09-04-2000, 01:03 PM
I just read that Tennessee has allowed 100 yards rushing in a game only once in their last 22! We need a gameplan this time around http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

I like your ideas Da Wolf. I think we need to come out throwing and spreading it around like Grbac did yesterday. It's going to be ugly playing against that pass-rush but if any O-line can handle it, ours probably can. This is one game where we'll really need Gonzo as well as the backs to catch and run against the pass-rush.

Did anyone else notice last night how the Titans were drawn offside by the changing snap-count of Rob Johnson? I don't know how long that worked for, I didn't watch the whole game but I hope Gun and Grbac took note.

IMO, unless we play stellar run defense and have good man-marking in the secondary and our receivers actually catch the balls thrown to them http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/eek.gif, we're pretty much screwed going into Adelphia. But I can't wait anyway, 'cos we have some exciting young players and I am still hoping for a run at the division title!

Mosbonian
09-04-2000, 01:21 PM
DaWolf,

With all due respect, the team we saw yesterday lost because it was not prepared by Gunther, and Jimmy Raye is the inept offensive coordinator most of us thought he was, and finally because we have a defense that is at best middle of the road. Right now we are looking my most dire fears in the face, this team if it plays like yesterday and more importantly is coached like yesterday could easily lose 12 to 14 games. On the other hand enough positives are there that they could still get 9 victories.

First, they must get Sly the ball much more (make him the #1 receiver)

Second, they must use T. Rich more and JRaye must use better variety in his play calling. Cloud should be limited to 3rd down back and Bennett to short yardage situations and blocking.

Third the defense must find a way to get pressure and start playing the receivers tighter.

Finally and most important the coaches and that includes Gunther must get a frippin clue. That was the poorest overall job of coaching I have ever seen. I predicted yesterdays result clear back in February and March and you and others did not want to hear about it. Well there it was for all to see. These coaches do not know how to plan for a game and create a winning attitude. We were very lucky to be 7-7 at the half yet we squandered that good fortune.

Hoping to see improvement next week but as I said many months ago an 0-2 start is likely.

------------------
Jim Reynolds
Please no squiggles in my discussion zone!

[This message has been edited by Logical (edited 09-04-2000).]

Mike
09-04-2000, 01:25 PM
Cannibal - re#10 Favors was one of my favorite players of the dismal '98 season and made one of my most memorable plays from that year (there were few) when he bowled over a blocking back and dove to get the sack. Anyway, I was shocked the following year when he was cut. Apparently the reasons given were that he couldn't grasp the offense, and I heard something that he had off-field troubles.

Fort Chief
09-04-2000, 01:29 PM
I remember that play well G-man, it was also one my favorite plays that year.

He absolutely crushed that dude. <P>

Stryker
09-04-2000, 02:32 PM
Unfortunely TN winz 20-17.
TN doesn't have COLTS off. although I don't think we'll stop McNair from getting his scrambling yards & TD's.
I don't think we'll stop George like the Bills did.
TN has a better def. than COLTS.
We might be able to move the ball if:
The FRIGGIN receivers catch the SHAGGIN BALL!!!!!!!!!
Brain Surgeon Grbac doesn't overthrown wide open receivers & can manage the clock if need be.
Gonzo gets the ball more than (2) FRIGGIN times!!
Throw to Slymo 6-8 times a game (at least).
Quit the FRIGGIN running back by committee BOOCHIT! Give TRich 80% of the carries & Moreau 20%.
Don't run TRich on FRIGGIN sweeps!!!!!!!
Get rid of ol Basset Hound eyes Schottenstooper & Jimmy Raye (Hell, Raye can't spell schreine).
Hire Hawianboy as OFF & DEF coordinator.
I'm afraid the Chiefs are in for a 6-10 season.<BR>

Stryker
09-04-2000, 02:36 PM
& I can't spell hawaiianboy

The Blessed Virgin Larry
09-04-2000, 03:14 PM
Wolf,
Yours is a good plan. However I BET the Chiefs will be just what the doctor ordered to get the Titans headed in the right direction. We will make the Titans look like the Super Bowl contenders that they are!