ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Draft Trading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137762)

1punkyQB 03-22-2006 01:38 PM

Marty made it within an eyelash of the SB. Hard to blame him for Byner's fumble. Vermeil took two other franchises to the SB. The coach might recommend drafting a DT. Does that really mean he whispered "trade down and pick Junior Siavii" in Carl's ear? And if that's the problem, wouldn't he have put his foot down after over a decade to learn from his mistakes?

milkman 03-22-2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus
To the contrary...it's been well established that Carl typically defers to his coaches as far as the picks go. Carl did overrule DV on Larry Johnson and I for one am glad he did.

Im not sure how much better Marty has done with other GM's, I must have missed his SB trip.

I'm sure he's attended.
Probably doesn't even have to pay for tickets.

milkman 03-22-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1punkyQB
Marty made it within an eyelash of the SB. Hard to blame him for Byner's fumble. Vermeil took two other franchises to the SB. The coach might recommend drafting a DT. Does that really mean he whispered "trade down and pick Junior Siavii" in Carl's ear? And if that's the problem, wouldn't he have put his foot down after over a decade to learn from his mistakes?

Marty made it within an eyelash of tying the Broncos, and sending that game to OT.

If that happens, my money's on Elway vs. Marty in OT.

KCTitus 03-22-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

I believe Marty...no let me correct that....Montana in spite of Marty took KC to the AFC Championship as well. Consider that an 'eyelash' as well.

Again, it's pretty clear that CP allows the HC's to make their picks with rare exceptions. Witness the draft pick difference between Marty and DV's tenure.

About 5 years ago there was a 'war room' write up about Gun's pick of Sylvester Morris. It documented how Carl left it to Gun to pull the trigger.

Aside from Larry, Greg Hill was another 'Carl' pick. It's pretty easy to spot those players that werent HC picks. Unless you dont actually read the PC's from said HC's.

1punkyQB 03-22-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

If that happens, my money's on Elway vs. Marty in OT.
OT in the championship game is far closer than he and CP were able to get in KC.

Cormac 03-22-2006 01:47 PM

Does anybody have that "draft value chart". It seems like Denver really stuck it to the Jets in that deal.

Just curious.

1punkyQB 03-22-2006 01:49 PM

Quote:

Aside from Larry, Greg Hill was another 'Carl' pick. It's pretty easy to spot those players that werent HC picks. Unless you dont actually read the PC's from said HC's.
Couldn't Carl overrule them? If you go on a road trip and allow your wife to navigate, who's fault is it if you get lost? I'd give the majority of blame to you for expecting a woman to correctly read a map. Either Carl picked the players or allowed the coach to evaluate talent for him. The end result is screwed-up draft picks and the GM has to take the heat for that. I doubt Ron Wolf or Rich McKay would've done that.

milkman 03-22-2006 01:50 PM

Quote:

OT in the championship game is far closer than he and CP were able to get in KC.

Chiefs were just one game away with Montana at QB, a fact that Titus has already pointed out.

But, in the end, who cares?

They are all seasons that ended before the SB for every team that Marty has ever coached.

milkman 03-22-2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Couldn't Carl overrule them? If you go on a road trip and allow your wife to navigate, who's fault is it if you get lost? I'd give the majority of blame to you for expecting a woman to correctly read a map. Either Carl picked the players or allowed the coach to evaluate talent for him. The end result is screwed-up draft picks and the GM has to take the heat for that. I doubt Ron Wolf or Rich McKay would've done that.

I'm not excusing Carl of his responsibility.

What I am saying is let's give Hermie a chance to work with Carl and see how things shape up before we start making any drastic moves.

milkman 03-22-2006 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder
I'm not excusing Carl of his responsibility.

What I am saying is let's give Hermie a chance to work with Carl and see how things shape up before we start making any drastic moves.

On the other hand, I think a lot GMs and coaches work the draft in much the same way as Carl does with his coaches.

The difference is that in some of those cases, the coaching staff has done a better job.

KCTitus 03-22-2006 01:55 PM

Quote:

Yes, I guess he could, but he deferred to the coaches whose JOB is to evaluate talent for their system. It's called delegating authority. Now, you may prefer the Jack Steadman model. Funny thing is, regardless, Carl's going to 'take the heat' from geniouses (chiefsplanet spelling) anyway--it's laid out in The Lexicon.

As for other GM's, you named Ron Wolf. If we're going on SB wins only, Wolf's success was due to a FA's not draft picks. Key names include Farve, Desmond Howard (SB MVP) and Reggie White--none of them drafted by the great Ron Wolf.

edit: I forgot Andre Rison, too.

KHinz57 03-22-2006 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SideWinder
On the other hand, I think a lot GMs and coaches work the draft in much the same way as Carl does with his coaches.

The difference is that in some of those cases, the coaching staff has done a better job.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I guess you're going to tell us you're been in the war rooms around the NFL to witness this and know first hand just exactly what they do.

KCTitus 03-22-2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KHinz57
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I guess you're going to tell us you're been in the war rooms around the NFL to witness this and know first hand just exactly what they do.

Did you know that ESPN has live draft coverage with cameras in the War Rooms of almost half of the teams? It's pretty neat.

milkman 03-22-2006 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KHinz57

Of course I don't.

You've already stated as much in your other thread, dumbass.

KHinz57 03-22-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTitus
Did you know that ESPN has live draft coverage with cameras in the War Rooms of almost half of the teams? It's pretty neat.

Oh ... I must've missed the one that actually had the GM and the Coach discussing player for player who they are going to get and why? I'm so foolish!