ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Are multiple 2nd rd picks more valuable? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=226716)

Hammock Parties 04-18-2010 10:27 PM

The 2010 Pro Bowl featured 27 first-round picks among the 44 starters.

Ergo, the best players come from the first round.

Mecca 04-18-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6685195)
Well, if you have more picks, the odds of hitting on them automatically goes up.

You probably know, but how many of the "elite" players in the league right now were first rounders as compared to those in the lower rounds?

For positions like QB the marquee number in the 1st round is higher than all the other rounds combined...

CaliforniaChief 04-18-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 6685234)
The 2010 Pro Bowl featured 27 first-round picks among the 44 starters.

Ergo, the best players come from the first round.

HA! We don't want Pro-Bowlers...we want the right Bowlers.

In all seriousness, can we just start the draft tomorrow? I feel like I'm bleeding to death through my eyes.

DaneMcCloud 04-18-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 6685219)
The odds could go up in the second round if you draft off a very specific positional value.

More horseshit from the Pioli ballwasher.

How did Junior Siavii and Kris Wilson work out?

chiefzilla1501 04-18-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6685250)
More horseshit from the Pioli ballwasher.

How did Junior Siavii and Kris Wilson work out?

What the **** are you talking about?

I've said 1000 times in multiple threads that a trade down is stupid unless you get two second round picks. And in that case, it's not a move I'd make if you pass on Clausen.

How is this in any way a defense of Pioli? It's saying if he makes this move, it's a really stupid one.

DaneMcCloud 04-18-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 6685254)
What the **** are you talking about?

I've said 1000 times in multiple threads that a trade down is stupid unless you get two second round picks. And in that case, it's not a move I'd make if you pass on Clausen.

How is this in any way a defense of Pioli? It's saying if he makes this move, it's a really stupid one.

Name me a team that got ANYTHING by trading out of the first round completely into the second round.

Siavii and Wilson.

Ring a bell?

Okay, now get back to work. Pioli needs his taint licked.

Hammock Parties 04-18-2010 10:52 PM

If you really want to split hairs 17 of 22 AFC Pro Bowl starters were first-round picks last season. And the AFC is generally accepted as the more talented conference, isn't it?

chiefzilla1501 04-18-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6685272)
Name me a team that got ANYTHING by trading out of the first round completely into the second round.

Siavii and Wilson.

Ring a bell?

Who said anything about trading out of the first round? I'm talking about a deal that would involve a low first and two seconds. Who wouldn't take that, if it became available?

And calling me a Pioli taint licker after I've said multiple times that trading down for only one extra pick is beyond stupid... where does that come from? Oh right, because you hear what you want to hear.

chiefzilla1501 04-18-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6685272)

Siavii and Wilson.

Ring a bell?

By the way, since you're so convinced I'm a Pioli ball-licker, let me make this clear: I think Pioli will have ****ed up the first round royally if he drafts an Offensive Tackle or McClain. Or if he passes on Clausen or Berry to move down in exchange for anything short of either a future first or two second rounders (in addition to the lower first they'd get in the trade down).

That's my clear line in the sand. And yes, I have a bad feeling he's going to do one of those dumb moves above.

Chiefburger 04-18-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 6685283)
Who said anything about trading out of the first round? I'm talking about a deal that would involve a low first and two seconds. Who wouldn't take that, if it became available?

And calling me a Pioli taint licker after I've said multiple times that trading down for only one extra pick is beyond stupid... where does that come from? Oh right, because you hear what you want to hear.

But we're only one great player away from contending. Follow this site the previous two weeks and you'll know the planet has decided the Chiefs have no room for merely very good players.

The key to winning is putting all eggs in a basket, duh.

noa 04-18-2010 11:03 PM

Maybe you can get lucky and hit in the second round, but skipping out on the first round means you could miss out on guys like:

Derrick Thomas
Barry Sanders
Willie Roaf
Lawrence Taylor
Walter Payton
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Jonathan Ogden
Deion Sanders
Jim Kelly
Torry Holt
Richard Seymour
Champ Bailey
Ed Reed
Dwight Freeney
Ray Lewis
Darrell Green
Derrick Brooks
Reggie Wayne
Keith Bulluck

DaneMcCloud 04-18-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 6685317)
Maybe you can get lucky and hit in the second round, but skipping out on the first round means you could miss out on guys like:

Derrick Thomas
Barry Sanders
Willie Roaf
Lawrence Taylor
Walter Payton
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Jonathan Ogden
Deion Sanders
Jim Kelly
Torry Holt
Richard Seymour
Champ Bailey
Ed Reed
Dwight Freeney
Ray Lewis
Darrell Green
Derrick Brooks
Reggie Wayne
Keith Bulluck

Yeah, but it's possible to get two guys if the Chiefs trade down.

chiefzilla1501 04-18-2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Derrick Thomas
Barry Sanders
Willie Roaf
Lawrence Taylor
Walter Payton
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Jonathan Ogden
Deion Sanders
Jim Kelly
Torry Holt
Richard Seymour
Champ Bailey
Ed Reed
Dwight Freeney
Ray Lewis
Darrell Green
Derrick Brooks
Reggie Wayne
Keith Bulluck

You get your playmakers in the first.

You can find good foundational players in the second, and if you're very lucky, find a gem there.

I'm all for stockpiling second rounders. But not at the expense of bringing in a playmaker. If you trade down, you better feel that the guy you trade down for is a playmaker, and not some "low risk" player like a Right Tackle or a good not great ILB like McClain.

Pushead2 04-18-2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Derrick Thomas
Barry Sanders
Willie Roaf
Lawrence Taylor
Walter Payton
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Jonathan Ogden
Deion Sanders
Jim Kelly
Torry Holt
Richard Seymour
Champ Bailey
Ed Reed
Dwight Freeney
Ray Lewis
Darrell Green
Derrick Brooks
Reggie Wayne
Keith Bulluck

I miss Willie Roaf.....:(

chiefzilla1501 04-18-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefburger (Post 6685315)
But we're only one great player away from contending. Follow this site the previous two weeks and you'll know the planet has decided the Chiefs have no room for merely very good players.

The key to winning is putting all eggs in a basket, duh.

They have lots of room for very good players. But limited opportunities to bring in playmakers. There's the difference. Especially given that in free agency, most teams will pay the moon to keep their best playmakers.

When you have a top 5 pick, you have to take a playmaker. The Chiefs have a ton of picks in this draft after that pick to focus on those "very good" players.