ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Toyota Tundras frames rusting, guess they need to made from real steel. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207195)

Fish 05-04-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 5738745)
Wouldn't it suck to stop in for an oil change, and have this happen? :eek:

LMAO

Wow..............

Radar Chief 05-04-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Wow. :eek: "Suck" is putting it mildly.

HemiEd 05-04-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 5738746)
I just thought it was an odd statement to make.
American steel is highly sought after for all forms of fabrication and construction.
Anecdotal story: Welding Buddy worked for a local manufacturer that was making big industrial radiators. They bought some Chinese steel because the American stuff was so expensive but the first tube they tried to bend exploded in the bender. So they shipped it all back and waited until they had American steel to fill their order.

Damn, that would be a dissapointment. We had a Chinese company win a contract (plastic) that we were bidding on. They got the stuff all qualified, engineer blessing etc. Then when the two production containers showed up, it was totally different material. Customer lost several months of eval time.

Frazod 05-04-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Holy shit. :eek:

That's certainly never happened with any of my American cars. A couple of them may have fallen apart, but not in separate chunks.

Brock 05-04-2009 03:42 PM

Does this mean american cars have stopped being second rate or something?

wild1 05-04-2009 04:01 PM

What model years does this affect, and how common is it?

Radar Chief 05-04-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild1 (Post 5738838)
What model years does this affect, and how common is it?

Welder Buddy's was an '85 and I've seen it happen to late '80's and early 90's trucks, the article is talking mostly 00 and later models so I'd say it's a problem that has existed for quite a while.

MagicHef 05-04-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 5738746)
I just thought it was an odd statement to make.
American steel is highly sought after for all forms of fabrication and construction.
Anecdotal story: Welding Buddy worked for a local manufacturer that was making big industrial radiators. They bought some Chinese steel because the American stuff was so expensive but the first tube they tried to bend exploded in the bender. So they shipped it all back and waited until they had American steel to fill their order.

When was this? Nowadays, there are very specific lists as to where materials can come from, and typically China is a no-go. On one project I worked on, there was an American stainless shortage, and we had to go through all sorts of hoops to try to get stainless from Switzerland approved by the client.

Deberg_1990 05-04-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaChapelle (Post 5738748)
The import snobs don't care. If it says Toyota or Honda on it They'll pay out the nose for one of those brands even with 315,000+ miles. Just cause it says Toyota or Honda. People are idjits.

Which car companies are going under again?? It aint Honda or Toyota.

Radar Chief 05-04-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 5738892)
When was this? Nowadays, there are very specific lists as to where materials can come from, and typically China is a no-go. On one project I worked on, there was an American stainless shortage, and we had to go through all sorts of hoops to try to get stainless from Switzerland approved by the client.

This was when there was a steel shortage here because it was being bought up by China when they had all that new construction going on during their economic boom.
IIRC they got approval from the customer because of the long wait for American steel.

SAUTO 05-04-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 5738883)
Welder Buddy's was an '85 and I've seen it happen to late '80's and early 90's trucks, the article is talking mostly 00 and later models so I'd say it's a problem that has existed for quite a while.

i have seen this on the older models, we racked a water patrol man's toyota and when it started coming off the ground the gap between the bed and cab just kept growing, so we stopped lifting it and looked the frame was just bending. needless to say we put that ****er down and told the guy it wasnt safe to drive. he was in for a missouri state inspection, the guy actually ASKED me if it would still passLMAOLMAOLMAO

wild1 05-04-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5738907)
Which car companies are going under again?? It aint Honda or Toyota.

If the frame rusts out and the car is useless at 100,000 miles it's right on par with what Detroit was producing in the 80s... so they still have some catching up to do...

Radar Chief 05-04-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 5738921)
i have seen this on the older models, we racked a water patrol man's toyota and when it started coming off the ground the gap between the bed and cab just kept growing, so we stopped lifting it and looked the frame was just bending. needless to say we put that ****er down and told the guy it wasnt safe to drive. he was in for a missouri state inspection, the guy actually ASKED me if it would still passLMAOLMAOLMAO

When Welder Buddy's spring mount for the passenger side rear leave tore away from the frame, taking a decent sized piece of frame with it, he looked around and found that the drivers side spring mount wasn't far behind it. The frame was rusted paper thin in both locations. It's a miracle he hadn't torn the frame before, particularly the way he beat on it.
He kicked around the idea of back halving it and building a custom frame for a 4 link suspension but midway through the tear down for that project we found that the front half of the frame was in almost as bad shape as the rear half so he basically scrapped the whole thing.
It would've made a cool "truggy" but there just wasn't enough frame left to build onto.

Brock 05-04-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaChapelle (Post 5738748)
The import snobs don't care. If it says Toyota or Honda on it They'll pay out the nose for one of those brands even with 315,000+ miles. Just cause it says Toyota or Honda. People are idjits.

Yeah, just because people don't want a car that's worth 25 percent less the minute they drive it off the lot, they're idjits. I wish I could seriously consider buying an american car, but let's face the facts. Hondas and Toyotas on average last longer, hold their value better, and perform better over the life of the vehicle than any american car. My 91 accord still has the original freon in it, for pete's sake. The saddest part of all of this is it doesn't have to be this way. There isn't anything magical about the way those companies operate. Detroits dollars per pound method of designing a car isn't and hasn't been working for quite some time.

SAUTO 05-04-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 5738982)
When Welder Buddy's spring mount for the passenger side rear leave tore away from the frame, taking a decent sized piece of frame with it, he looked around and found that the drivers side spring mount wasn't far behind it. The frame was rusted paper thin in both locations. It's a miracle he hadn't torn the frame before, particularly the way he beat on it.
He kicked around the idea of back halving it and building a custom frame for a 4 link suspension but midway through the tear down for that project we found that the front half of the frame was in almost as bad shape as the rear half so he basically scrapped the whole thing.
It would've made a cool "truggy" but there just wasn't enough frame left to build onto.

his was the exact same way